Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowered my 79 vert
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

If I replace the stock springs with topline lowering springs it should lower it and stiffen it up a bunch I'm hoping. Front is super soft after installing empi adjustable strut housings and lowered struts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

I have the housings on the lowest setting with the retaining clip still in. 155/60 and 205/60 tires.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

I like the look of the Black centers on the sport wheels. Did you then add chrome trim rings? You don’t see many folks painting those wheels a color other than silver.
I have a triple black 79 as well. You don’t see many people changing them up much. I lowered mine about 2in with the same adjustable struts. I eventually changed the springs to the red tapered style ones from Top Line.
Enjoy your ride. I always like to hear about other folks with the 79.
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Yes painted the wheels black and added chrome rings. Plan to add lowering springs next and bring the back down one outer click. Stock front springs are soft and obviously old. Even though this bug is somewhat rare I still want to do what I like to it without taking away the value. I don't plan on selling this one
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Exactly with the intent of making it your own. I have had mine since 1994.Seems like I’ve had it forever, and it started as a decent driver that just needed everything. Holes in the pan, holes in the top, but the engine was all OG fuel injection that had 125k miles and ran really good.
As for the front suspension, every couple of years I would upgrade another component. Larger front sway bar with bushings, slotted disk brakes, and. Strut tower brace. All combined, I feel that this is a great handling bug.

My 14 year old son loves to ride around in the Bug, and we go to the local VW shows. It is such a fun hobby and the VW community is incredible.
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

I will definitely be getting the lowering springs and dropping the back more. My six year old is asking if I will teach him how to drive it when he gets older lol. I hope in the next month to get it driving to the BMX track.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Is that a 20" BMX? Looks much different than when I was a kid...
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Yes 20" mini.
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

Been a while since I worked on this thing. Got some parts in and have been busy! Got the carb rebuilt and installed. Runs smooth with the new exhaust. Added lowering springs to my adjustable shocks and everything is low as can go. I'm going to try and build some custom parts for the front.
slideshow240
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

717beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowered my 79 vert Reply with quote

slideshow240 wrote:

What springs did you use?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: