Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loonrider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

Hello-

We need our transmission replaced on our 68 beetle. Are there any shops or individuals you recommend within 4 hours of Minneapolis, MN?

Also, what else should we replace when the transmission is being done?

Thank you!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

MoFoCo in Wisconsin?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

loonrider wrote:

You're a braver soul than I

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
loonrider wrote:

You're a braver soul than I

I had my 1971 Convertible on the freeway Monday, only went 75mph though....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

front main( fly wheel seal), check endplay on flywheel, front and rear transmission mounts. clutch bowden tube.

others may have more suggestions
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I had my 1971 Convertible on the freeway Monday, only went 75mph though....

You see those yellow traffic lights right by the merge point onto the interstate in that photo? Thats a Minneapolis thing- those lights are at a lot of on ramps there. They make you stop to alternate getting on the freeway between you and the car next to you (two lane on ramps) to ease traffic flow. That means you have to get going freeway speed in about 3 seconds from a dead stop. Good luck Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
You see those yellow traffic lights right by the merge point onto the interstate in that photo? Thats a Minneapolis thing- those lights are at a lot of on ramps there. They make you stop to alternate getting on the freeway between you and the car next to you (two lane on ramps) to ease traffic flow. That means you have to get going freeway speed in about 3 seconds from a dead stop. Good luck Very Happy

Phoenix, Scottsdale also use those at rush hours. And - of course - many of those ramps are uphill to the freeway, so getting up to speed and merging with the too-short merge ramps can be really challenging in my 1988 Mazda truck that has 82hp. Fortunately, my 1971 VW Convertible has 1835cc DP engine, so much less issue merging when driving that.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

We have those lights on some of our on ramps. I drove my 64 Beetle 90 miles on the freeway yesterday at 60MPH.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

loonrider wrote:
Hello-

We need our transmission replaced on our 68 beetle. Are there any shops or individuals you recommend within 4 hours of Minneapolis, MN?

Also, what else should we replace when the transmission is being done?

Thank you!

Lest we wander off topic ...

Found these in the business listings right here on The Samba website:

https://goodcarmaautorepair.com/

https://www.fptuned.com/

Both are in Minneapolis and work on air cooled VWs, however the latter appears to be primarily a high end restoration/custom shop.

Hope one of them is able to help you with your transmission replacement.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback
Johngus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for transmission shop near minneapolis Reply with quote

Good Carma, Northeast Minneapolis on Lowery Ave. They should be able to help!
Good Luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: