Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old school semiannual tune up: checked points, timing; cleaned and gapped spark plugs; changed oil; adjusted valve clearance and brakes. All on a beautiful warm fall day with falling leaves. Doesn't get better than that for me.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleaned up my hubcaps. I used aluminum foil and 100% Real Lemon Juice on two and aluminum foil and Pepsi on the other three. I think the Pepsi worked a little better. There was fizzing, probably the CO2 release, with the Pepsi and I didn't spend as much time on each cap compared to the lemon juice. Then a coat of chrome polish. My caps are not in real good shape being 55 years old, but they do have a good shine at 10 feet. I need to paint the centers yet; I think that will be a winter job.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trektider60 wrote:
I cleaned up my hubcaps. I used aluminum foil and 100% Real Lemon Juice on two and aluminum foil and Pepsi on the other three. I think the Pepsi worked a little better. There was fizzing, probably the CO2 release, with the Pepsi and I didn't spend as much time on each cap compared to the lemon juice. Then a coat of chrome polish. My caps are not in real good shape being 55 years old, but they do have a good shine at 10 feet. I need to paint the centers yet; I think that will be a winter job.

There is a guy who sells stickers to fit the hubcap lettering....Do a search

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
justcruzin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it to Home Depot for some plants. Very Happy By the time I was done shopping I was thinking it would have been better to bring the bus. LOL Got it all in though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also bought a new emergency brake cover. I will put the carpet over it once i get around to installing the carpet permanently.

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Zuesticle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanded the top of the body with 380grit, ready to prime and rattle can satin black!(Too broke for a REAL paint job Crying or Very sad )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-installed my Pertronix Ignitor ignition that I had removed and replaced with points during troubleshooting for what turned out to be a failed Autozone coil. Also installed new Pertronix 40kv / 3-ohm coil. Car now runs soooo smooth at all RPMs. Been running my Pertronix Ignitor for over 2 years now...

Stinkin' new Bosch points were pitted at less than 2000 miles and car was missing and running fairly poorly (new Bosch condenser too). New points now are crap, even Bosch...I've had better service from Autozone points than Bosch!

BTW this is a daily driver - 10 miles a day to/from work, and 200-250 miles every weekend San Bernardino to Escondido to SB.....except for that failed coil, it has never let me down (that I couldn't fix anyway) in over 35k miles.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Nevada Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't figure out if this is good luck or bad luck.....

After replacing the O rings on my push rod tubes, I looked over at the tire and found a nail in my tire. Saved me from having to fix it on the road. Removed the nail and put in a plug.
99% Resto-Custom Daily Driver
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I went to Bug Jam ( Florida's biggest show ) and bought a " 15 inch smoothie " to use for the spare tire .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I got my speakers installed today. Radio was installed 2 weeks ago, but I just finished the wiring today also. I read on a post to put the yellow wire (constant 12V) on the far left and the red wire (switched) on the far right. I found out that info is for an eight fuse block. My '60 has the four fuse block and the red wire needs to be on the second from the left fuse. The old picnic basket just fits behind the rear seat with a speaker on each end; no holes cut in anything.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

trekrider,
I love that picnic basket idea.
I at one time was going to do a vintage suit case with speakers installed. The picnic basket is a way better idea.
Changed my mind and now run a Bose sound box lll and Bluetooth from my windshield mounted phone.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Adjusted my valves and installed my new polished stainless steel valve covers.

A nice feature is these come with s strip welded in to prevent the lower section of the gasket from getting sucked in...

[oh yeah - these are EMPI !]
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
MomoMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installed a new stereo, and speaker. I can barely hear it though, my bug is loud (no rubber motor/trans mounts; no interior/headliner at the moment). While trouble shooting a broken connection on an old wire - replaced the voltage regulator, generator brushes, and cleaned up a bunch of other wires in the process. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, the sun is coming in the window at the camera...and p.s. the hole in the dash was already there, this plugs that hole so the cold air doesn't keep pelting me...

Zuesticle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

MomoMoto wrote:
Installed a new stereo, and speaker. I can barely hear it though, my bug is loud (no rubber motor/trans mounts; no interior/headliner at the moment). While trouble shooting a broken connection on an old wire - replaced the voltage regulator, generator brushes, and cleaned up a bunch of other wires in the process. Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture, the sun is coming in the window at the camera...and p.s. the hole in the dash was already there, this plugs that hole so the cold air doesn't keep pelting me...

Question on that, are there any performance benefits to be had from "solid" engine mounts? I was thinking of building/welding some up for my car(It's NOT a daily driver).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Oil cooler seals , yay big fun, loose the lid n hinges n old school from the top. Fabricator john
MomoMoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
Question on that, are there any performance benefits to be had from "solid" engine mounts? I was thinking of building/welding some up for my car(It's NOT a daily driver).

Not that I am aware of, the set up is not the original 40 horse stale air - an early 70's 1600 and trans from a ghia it looks liked based on my research of some number codes on it. A previous owner was a drag racer, and it raced...just not sure what his set up was - because I heard he dropped the 1600 DP in to it to sell it...took his race motor out..
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put the deck lid back on an drove it! Then I realized how badly I need ball joints, and an alignment. Bought some lower ball joints today, going to try and get them in on friday. We'll see.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Had four rainy days here this week. I put the 67 up on jack stands and scrubbed the underside of my fenders. Ospho on the light surface rust. Then undercoating.
Also rerouted the speedo cable from over the top of the tie rod to under.
Shortened the back up light wires that were 6-8" too long.
Took it out for a drive late yesterday. I noticed that the left headlight was dim. And the speedo is screaming. This will be the second time I have to fix this issue.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Installing my new stainless steel j-pipes riiiiiight now.
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New replacement front calipers and rubber hoses yesterday on the Creeky '69... Ugh, now I realize I need to do the M/C also...

-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I mounted and wired my bosch fog light recently purchased. But before that I had to change out a cracked fuel hose under the gas tank. My roommate came home late Saturday night and said my car smelled like gas. I agreed with the smell and found the leak. I did everything on Sunday. Sundayfunday

matching Bosch headlight lenses

Hose was leaking from both ends

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 251, 252, 253 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 252 of 317

Jump to: