Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

6Kabrio7 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
Bill, is that a convertible decklid? Or did you graft in some vents from a later decklid?
Nice looking car there BTW.
Have a great day.

Thanks for the compliment!

It's an original 67 convertible engine lid. It was painful buying it! I think I paid $650! Shocked They didn't make many 67 convertibles and what remains today in terms of the 67 convertible bugs and their original parts are sought after!

The engine lid is worth it though. Living in Arizona, that extra air getting into the engine compartment lowers the engine oil temp 10-15 degrees. It also lets the hot air escape the engine compartment faster after shut down for easier hot restarts.
Some guy like five years ago or less on here wanted a 67 convertible decklid and there was one that looked perfect in the classifieds for like $350 and he was saying it was too much. Now they are going for like 2-3 times that much. I told him it was a good deal but I don't think he wanted to listen.

I can't remember exactly when I bought that 67 convertible lid? I think it was about 4-5 years ago. I was watching what they were going for when I actually saw them for sale on this site. Clearly, the rarity of these engine lids is due to less than (I think) 10k verts sold in 1967.

If I needed one today, I'd probably make it with the vent out of a 70-71 engine lid. It would cost less than $100 and plus your labor to do the metal work.

It's too bad someone doesn't step up to make a stamping die to punch those vents into the plentiful hard top engine lids. Smile

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished cleaning the gas tank with Eastwood products, then delivered the tank to the body shop for paint. Found out after a long wait I will be able to take my Euro 59 home this weekend!
Bruce
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Great Color. And a Rag to Boot Cool
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today i changed the clutch cable on my 64 for the first time. It snapped pulling it out the primer booth. -_- It wasnt too difficult but it was a pain to take it out of the bowden tube. Took me about 3 hours to do the job lol. But im learning!

Then i continued to wet sand the body as im getting ready to paint next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Was able to paint the body along with hiod and decklid today. Fenders still need sanding. L380 turquoise.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Mmm...shiny new paint. It looks well done! ^^^^

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
doc73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Friend of mine got bored so he took the body off.

66 Bug
66 fastback (sunroof)
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

finishing up custom interior ;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
ExtremeBean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Finished cleaning the gas tank with Eastwood products, then delivered the tank to the body shop for paint. Found out after a long wait I will be able to take my Euro 59 home this weekend!
Bruce

Nice! Fjord blue?
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Ok PLZ Bear with Me LAST Week I completed Most Of the Final Assembly Including some "Spot Sanding " NOT Much Nessary. on the Tins, I Painted the Already ok Tins Now they fit the same and look LOVED Very Happy This week I decided to keep the German Generator Pulley...But I have Some "Monder art" to put in a Gallery Titled "Americans BUY this" Unknown?....Anyway, I did Paint it Black . All Paints Heat AIR cooled correct
Jim
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

1967....ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE and a VW. Nobody Remember that ? I said it Later ..When I got Old enough to make MY 1st Good Choice I KEPT my Ford " CorTina" Cause it was English I wanted to Park them Side by Side After a couple Hit's I was Hearing The Loving Spoonful not Rush which was Playin at the Time ......yep Bob Dylan was right", cause the times they are a changing " Cool hahahah Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad No? YEA I was making a statement NOBODY GOT IT
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Some one said "LET THE GAMES" well you humble MY A%^ dude about a Month Ago I brought my NEW 67 home Poor old ...dude wouldn't run smoking and all that . so I an instant wrench master asking everyone what now looks alittle ...well Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad New that's it so I'll Run Bat's for awhile at the game just not actually competin
HUMBLE JIM Very Happy
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got Arabella out of the garage for a well deserved wash and wax!!
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

'67 Sedan: I replaced the pass side hinge pin with a threaded one and put on a mirror (well, that was actually two weeks ago); replaced my '67 front seatbelts with 3-point, retractable, belts; replaced the driver's side door lock mechanism (I don't EVER want to do that again.); put two check rod rubber stops on each door, so they won't open too wide and hit the mirrors; installed an engine lid lock (coded to the ignition/door key).

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Rickles wrote:

Where did you source the right side mirror from? I have an early 67 with the round mirror and would like to have a right side mirror someday.
Have a great day.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Rickles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Where did you source the right side mirror from? I have an early 67 with the round mirror and would like to have a right side mirror someday.
Have a great day.

Wolfsburg West; they have both the round and pear-shaped in long necks. Nice quality, too.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New preheat tube and I finally relocated my fuel filter and put new fuel line in the engine bay. Still have a lot more to take care of in the engine bay, but it's getting there.

rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Re-built the front seats in my '65 bug. Used original pattern and coconut pads from WW. First time doing this....not too hard, but not quite as easy as videos make it look!

MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Began putting the wiring harness in and rebuilding the doors. Frustrating how many small screws and bolts are missing. I guess that is what you get when you buy a car that is all in boxes!
Bruce
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Air shocks

That's not a bus dashboard !

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 258, 259, 260 ... 314, 315, 316  Next
Jump to:
Page 259 of 316

Jump to: