Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Rcroane

Whered you get the seat covers from? Also from wolfsburg? I want to put something like these in my car[/quote]
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Re-built the front seats in my '65 bug. Used original pattern and coconut pads from WW. First time doing this....not too hard, but not quite as easy as videos make it look!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What type of material did you go with for the panels and where from? Any better pics?
Thanks!
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Adjusted the valves, replaced shift rod bushing and shift coupler, removed my stupid fake white wall portawall things. It drives like a new car after the valve adjustment and getting rid of the slop in the shifter. Just have a few more things on the "to do" list and I'll be ready for Bugorama this weekend.
2T2-Crash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Help my dad time his 67 thanks to,the power of FaceTime and prepped my bug to drop the engine so I can inspect my throw out bearing.
Julio_Arcos123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Rewired the car and finished assembling the doors. Gotta instal the decklid but its a pain to do by yourself >:[
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Cleaned a lot of weird junk from the OG air cleaner I found and test fit a few more pieces to get the '64 back on the road. Going from a 1915 to a stock 1200 should be a trip.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tony S.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New header and muffler on my 65

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I finished the interior on the Sedan Delivery

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
sludge20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hello All! I've been lurking the forums for years, but Yesterday, I rolled my latest project bug out of the garage and into daylight. I've had a 74 Super, 67 Sedan, and a 70 sedan in the past. I loved them all.

Anyway, what I have now is a '58 Frankenbug. The previous owner bought it off a guy in Lincoln back at the turn of the century. That dude was a serious VW hacker.

I have never owned one this old, so I am dusting off my old books and re-teaching myself "DubLife" after a 15 year absence thanks to a now removed medical driving restriction.

I am having fun learning the controls layout. It is very different than what I am used to!

Anyway, here she is:

This thing needs serious interior work, a complete brake system replacement, and some serious engine attention. Somebody serious hacked in the exhaust, Sawzall style...

That god awful passenger mirror has to go. It needs exterior emblems. I pulled the side panel chrome as it was crap. I usually get rid of that stuff anyway.

I am also very excited the back passenger windows were removed. This was well done with welding, though the interior needs work at those two points. This is a body mod I have always wanted to try and here it is done for me!

Shockingly, it does run, but not as well as I would like.

It has a FO 299093 crammed in it. Interestingly enough, I had never seen a 28 PICT carb before, let alone an actual VW one. She is also marking her territory with moderate prejudice, but I have to look into that further once she is up off the ground a bit.

The only real issue for me is I have not figured out the e-brake. I am assuming it had one at one time, but it was removed, I think. Not certain- more research needed.
Tomorrow, Parts orders! This weekend, sweat, cussing and wrenching!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Did a bunch of maintenance: adjusted valves and checked sparkplugs - all good at 40,000 miles on an assembled-from-used stuff engine.

Adjusted link pins and front wheel bearings - less wandering on the road.

Pulled covers on rear torsion bars to install new red polyurethane bushings - oops, already has red poly bushings in good but non-lubed condition. Clean and lube with silicone grease, now the rear suspension actually works and ride is much smoother!

Easiest place to source silicone grease? Home Depot "Silicone Faucet Grease", 0.5 oz for $3.37 + tax.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
meredith murray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Been installing various pats as well as installing the wiring harness.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced a swing arm axle boot, drained transaxle and refilled with 140 wt GL-4.

Transaxle's getting tired.

Been buying parts for a new engine...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Had to take the carpets out of both VW's after 70 mph storm winds blew the rain past the brand new seals .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mfeijo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hey guys! I just recently bought this 63 and it looks like someone put it together with spit, I am telling you. It is amazing the stuff people do to a car over 53 years!

So back to what I did today, I put some DRLs (Day Running Lights) on it. They also double as turn signals, and look pretty cool, IMHO.

I bought some LED strips at Amazon (these: http://amzn.to/1VNE09F), took the headlights out and cleaned them good. The connections were all loose. The assembly all put together with made up wires, the clips lose inside the headlight cups.. You get it.

Anyways, back to the task at hand, the LED fit perfectly on the rim of the headlight glass, no silicone needed, was a quick walk in the park, other then dealing with all the mess people left behind.

Do you guys like it? I did it more for fun than anything. This is not restoration, its a slow paced restomod, if anything.

Last edited by mfeijo on Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mfeijo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

meredith murray wrote:
Been installing various pats as well as installing the wiring harness.

Fantastic! Thanks for the photos.

Would you say its doable to install a new harness without doing a frame-off?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Changing harness with body on is done ALL the time .

watch the " Bug Me " video if you can .

Brezelfahrer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

with the help of two good friends I finally installed the all new two pole lift! Yeah!!
and today the '59 standard got lubed and the rear brakes adjusted!

mfeijo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Love the lift. Wish I had height clearance. I may end up getting a scissors type lift. Just not sure it's worth the $$.

Yesterday I replaced the door handles with new ones from Oval Motorsports. Ended up using only othe driver side one , as the two that come in the package come with locks, and having a key lock in the passenger side is just confusing. How could I explain the wife that if she unlocks the outside and the lever inside is locked the door still won't open? I used the new spring from the new pass side handle and remounted. Greased it really good and it's nice and smooth. Like the 53 years haven't even passed. Smile

I also installed a new hood latch assembly. Not sure that's the name. The part on the body that received the pin from the hood. The one I had there was in bad shape, glued with rice and paper. Now I'm more confident I can open that trunk when I need to, and only then.

Also replaced the fuel sender, as the old one was frozen in place. I'm sure I could have loosened it but 30$ and a shiny new one didn't seems like a bad idea. Oval Motorsports to the rescue. These guys are like a candy store, I'm telling you. At least now my money doesn't go all in ammo and guns anymore. You can't drive a 45. Oh wait! Smile

I also took off the ignition switch. According to the wife, it was very rinky-dinky ( is that how it's spelled?) Anyways, it really looked like a mailbox lock with the tiny key, and I thought I'd open it up and try to make it work with the new door keys. Turns out there are no cylinders inside that key lock, any key that would fit the ridges would have turned it anytime!

I'm finding a more fun way of starting my big. I'll post it here to you guys.

Enough babbling, back to work.

JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Very Happy Have yet to learh how to post oic's. Question Question
timmy2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Well, its been a very busy year, and not much time for the bug.

We retired, sold the house, moved from CA to TX, lived temporarily in a daily rate apartment, bought a house, moved in, and we both got jobs. Our son moved back in after 3 yrs in the Army and then he got a puppy. The fences on this property were adequate for our old dog that doesn't much care anymore, but not for a puppy. So we started fencing in 5+ acres.

Next thing I know, a year has passed.

So, TODAY, FINALLY, I got the bug registered in TX. Its idling outside, and now I'm gonna drive it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 259, 260, 261 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 260 of 317

Jump to: