Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I brought my 66 type 6 sedan delivery to the mechanic and had the rebuilt engine and transmission installed .
After almost 3 years of projects it runs ;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
GeRGelu:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Checked the sophsiticated '61 Steering-Horn switch for horn function.
Fingers crossed, and it's working. Laughing
Next step is the final wire routing.

Looking for a pre 61 Splitty!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Faustling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got her aligned today. Got perfect numbers. The kid doing it took it as a challenge when another guy told him you can never get them perfect. She drives sooo much better!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Oil getting down into PICT 28 carb from oil bath filter? Curious, other than oil level (correct to fill line) what are some issues to cause this?
65 Standard Beetle

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Very Happy Your The Man Pete!!!
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I attempted to rebuild my carb but it's done. BUDET HOLD for now. Shocked
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Switched out my heavy chromed steel wheels (6" & 8" widths with positive offset) and used tires (4 different manufacturers!)

Retapped my new mag wheel lug nuts for rear to 14mmx1.5 for my existing wheel studs (this was overly difficult due to the crappy quality of the steel) and installed my used, cleaned up centerline-appearing cast aluminum wheels (5.5" wide, stock offset I think).

Then I went nuts and bought 4 new 215 x R75 radials with spin balance.

Now it drives sooo much better...
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
kshan7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Pulled carb and cleaned idle and main jet because my 67 wasn't idling. Must have been some trash because now it is!
mattbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally drove the car today after fixing a long list of things, new cylinders, new carb and dizzy and a few other little bastard parts that break like the clutch Spring!

Got the rebuilt 30-pict from Tim at volkbits and the new dizzy from Tasb which made it easy to tune the engine.

Also found out it's a 1600sp not a 1500, so sweet, extra hp!

Love this fucking car!

http://www.graphitedesign.co.nz
https://www.facebook.com/graphitedesignnz
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I started the process of heater channel replacement.

Passenger floor

Drivers floor

I replaced the back seat support with a piece of angle iron.

And then welded a piece of 1" square tube to it, the right front A-pillar, and the rear inner quarter panel.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Faustling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced the float in my gas tank. Nice to know how much gas I have.

Then a headlight went out. Did you know those little retainer clips can fly completely over the car, hit the garage door, and find their way under the car? Shocked Only because I heard it hit the cardboard, aka oil catcher, did I even have a clue where it went.
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

replaced my Carb with a Brazil Carb reran gas lines from source (custom) re attached all new lines/hoses using new ones . powering up camera to allow PIC's soon to come
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

From What I saw, and experienced your not behind on any projects! Thanks for the Tips I re-ran my gas lines all new worked out perfect ..."Where's Dave" lol
JIM
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Almost forgot I turtle waxed my smootjies...67 aftermarket smoothies that is (but I like tem)
JIM single port 1500 proud to tell ya JUST rebuild by hand and Muir!!!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Go Jim Go !!!

one piece at a time Laughing

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Door sills are scuffed and dented, need to prep for new carpet set. Cleaned,sanded, filled, primed and painted. Might have to install SS sill covers if I'm not happy with results

P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JimSP16
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Drove Wife,s to Sarasota for a $5.00 part then life got in the way so more work tomorrow and hopefully Thursday I'm a driver...almost, GOT TO do some re index on the REAR before I get the 300 miles after it's MAKE IT some adjustments new GTX I'm doing 500 miles then heading up to Biffs for a cold one and a Burger ( Cold O DOULS) that is.
SEE YA THERE PETE
JIM
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

JonInAtl wrote:
Fred_e81: Looks great!

Today I replaced the front shifter rod bushing in my '65.. it was missing.
Wow what a difference!

I'll probably be replacing my shift bushing in the next few weeks. How difficult was it and how long did it take youi?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

toddmin wrote:
JonInAtl wrote:

Wow what a difference!

I'll probably be replacing my shift bushing in the next few weeks. How difficult was it and how long did it take youi?

Depending on your mechanical ability. The shift rod bushing change can take from an hour to four hours. I had never done one until late last year and found that it took me about four hours including removing and welding in a new shift rod bushing carrier.
Make this cool tool and the bushing change should go well for you.

Get about 4-5' of PVC from Lowes.
Good Luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
toddmin wrote:
JonInAtl wrote:

Wow what a difference!

Depending on your mechanical ability. The shift rod bushing change can take from an hour to four hours. I had never done one until late last year and found that it took me about four hours including removing and welding in a new shift rod bushing carrier.
Make this cool tool and the bushing change should go well for you.

Get about 4-5' of PVC from Lowes.
Good Luck

That reminds me of the tool the EV4U guy uses in this video: https://youtu.be/_K2A_N-lhiw

Speaking of which, has anybody bought that special bushing they sell? I'm wondering how well they work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 262, 263, 264 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 263 of 317

Jump to: