Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heilite tent trailer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got another one. 1963 expandable fresh out of the polishing shop. Now to get a road cover sewed up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Heilite tag Reply with quote

Ever heard of this model?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, more pics please
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: 1969 Heilite Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks55 wrote:
Just got another one. 1963 expandable fresh out of the polishing shop. Now to get a road cover sewed up.

Damn that looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Heilite Reply with quote

Tom Mohr wrote:

Very cool Cool
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
folks55 wrote:

Damn that looks great!
Thanks, I'll be posting pics soon with the new travel cover soon.
Tom Mohr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Road ready Reply with quote

Trying for EL PRADO ! Will I make it.........
sprkplg08
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks55 wrote:

Where did you take it to get polished? Looking to get mine done.
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprkplg08 wrote:
folks55 wrote:

Took it to a Big Rig Truck Stop where they do polishing. $200 and 2 hours later and this is what I got back

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didnt polish it! They just coated it with awesome sauce!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

folks55 wrote:
sprkplg08 wrote:
folks55 wrote:

Took it to a Big Rig Truck Stop where they do polishing. $200 and 2 hours later and this is what I got back

That looks great and the cover is awesome. I talked to a member of the crew that was at Prado about getting a travel cover made but the gentleman that makes them got away from me. Can you tell me the contact info please, I want to have one made for my tent trailer.
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Taillight guard. Reply with quote

Was missing one taillight guard, so I made one out of some scrap I had laying around the shop.

Kathy J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Mattress suggestions for Heilites? Reply with quote

Hi all, long time no chat! Our Heilite spent the winter in my brother's garage, and we just got back to working on it a few weeks ago. The canvas is now mostly mildew-smell-free, but it's still stained in some spots. I can live with stains. It rolls and stands solidly, and we just got a dual-ball hitch made for it by a trailer supply place. No photos yet, I forgot to take some when I picked up the hitch last week. Our dear friend whose father owned the trailer managed to find the original spare wheel rim/tire, so once that's repainted and re-tired, we'll even have a spare tire!

Now all it needs is a license plate and a mattress, and then we can actually use it! The previous owner still hasn't found the original paperwork, so we're not quite sure how to go about getting a title and plate. All we have is the plate that was on it when it was last used in the early 80s. Suggestions, anyone?

And as for a mattress....the one that was in the trailer was so mildewed that we pitched it when we first got the trailer. I'd prefer to have a solid foam mattress if it's fairly thick. But we looked into making one ourselves and the cost of materials was enormous, not to mention the amount of time it would take (me).... It would probably be cheaper to get one made professionally. Has anyone had a mattress made for their trailer, and if so, where? Or does anyone have a source for ready-made mattresses that will fit an approximately 48" x 72" bed?

Alternately, has anyone found an air mattress brand that fits in the bed of a Heilite? All the ones I can find are much too long and the wrong width.

The summer's going fast, and we're so close to being able to go camping. Any help with figuring out how to get it licensed, and finding a mattress would be greatly appreciated!

--Kathy
kasper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Mattress replacement Reply with quote

Kathy, I used a 3" memory foam mattress topper from costco. Cost about $100. If I had to do it again I think I'd go with a 4" topper. The 3" is ok just think a little more padding would be better.
Kathy J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress replacement Reply with quote

kasper wrote:
Kathy, I used a 3" memory foam mattress topper from costco. Cost about $100. If I had to do it again I think I'd go with a 4" topper. The 3" is ok just think a little more padding would be better.

Thanks! That's exactly what we just ordered, a 4" memory foam topper from overstock.com. I also got a bedbug-proof zippered cover for it, to keep insects and dust out of it while it's stored in the trailer. There were lots of other interesting-looking mattress options out there but they were all twice the price (or more) of the memory foam. I hadn't considered the foam topper previously, thanks for the idea! Now we just need that license plate and we'll be able to take it for a short trip to try it out!

--Kathy
folks55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Taillight guard. Reply with quote

kasper wrote:
Was missing one taillight guard, so I made one out of some scrap I had laying around the shop.

Nice Cool
flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a thread! I learned a lot reading thru all those pages. Thanks!

I don't post here very often but what brought me to this thread was finding this Heilite / Apache looking Montgomery Ward camper. It's called a Hawthorne Traveler made in 1960. I haven't figured out who actually built this for MW.

The canvas is being repaired and screens replaced at a local Amish shop. The kitchen fly which zips to the side of the tent is in great shape and doubles as the top cover while in transit.
I'm making repairs to a couple of the support legs, servicing the bearings replacing the tires and also replacing the wiring. I noticed the taillight lens are exactly like the Heilite. I almost wish the supporting bows were more like the Heilite where the tent is mostly self supporting. Instead it's a bit like an Apache Scout where two poles support the end of the tent and must be staked.

The body is steel and was originally painted an industrial hammered silver shown below in one of the pics and you can see it where the yellow is coming off. I plan to repaint it as close to original as possible.
This camper spent the last 30+ years stored in a dry garage. I have plenty of vintage camping gear to equip it with. Hope to camp in it later this summer.

I found some old advertising too

flat_twin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress suggestions for Heilites? Reply with quote

Kathy J wrote:
Hi all, long time no chat! Our Heilite spent the winter in my brother's garage, and we just got back to working on it a few weeks ago. The canvas is now mostly mildew-smell-free, but it's still stained in some spots. I can live with stains. It rolls and stands solidly, and we just got a dual-ball hitch made for it by a trailer supply place. No photos yet, I forgot to take some when I picked up the hitch last week. Our dear friend whose father owned the trailer managed to find the original spare wheel rim/tire, so once that's repainted and re-tired, we'll even have a spare tire!

Now all it needs is a license plate and a mattress, and then we can actually use it! The previous owner still hasn't found the original paperwork, so we're not quite sure how to go about getting a title and plate. All we have is the plate that was on it when it was last used in the early 80s. Suggestions, anyone?

And as for a mattress....the one that was in the trailer was so mildewed that we pitched it when we first got the trailer. I'd prefer to have a solid foam mattress if it's fairly thick. But we looked into making one ourselves and the cost of materials was enormous, not to mention the amount of time it would take (me).... It would probably be cheaper to get one made professionally. Has anyone had a mattress made for their trailer, and if so, where? Or does anyone have a source for ready-made mattresses that will fit an approximately 48" x 72" bed?

Alternately, has anyone found an air mattress brand that fits in the bed of a Heilite? All the ones I can find are much too long and the wrong width.

The summer's going fast, and we're so close to being able to go camping. Any help with figuring out how to get it licensed, and finding a mattress would be greatly appreciated!

--Kathy

Someone suggested I talk to an auto / marine upholstery shop about a replacement RV mattress for a Heilite style camper. I called two shops and asked about a 48x78 x3 foam mattress, covered in marine vinyl with a zipper on one end. I was quoted $450 (gulp!)

Instead I went with this bed from Cabelas.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Camp-Beds/732419.uts

$150 and free shipping to a Cabelas for local pick up. I'm close enough to one of their stores to take advantage of that.

I also priced a bare foam slab in the right dimensions. Price for that is $130 plus shipping so I ordered the Cabelas bed.
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fun no matter who made it. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 22

Jump to: