Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what happens if timing belt breaks on wife's car??
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: what happens if timing belt breaks on wife's car?? Reply with quote

My wife has a 98 Cabrio 2.0. The local VW dealer would love to replace the timing belt for $1100. With this engine what happens when it breaks? If it would just stop running I'm going to wait, but if all manner of chaos would ensue then I guess I'll find someone to replace the timing belt.

Thanks.

Last edited by MikeHill on Mon May 12, 2008 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is an 'interferance' motor, a broken timing belt can cause some problems if valves are open and pistons hit them and will cost you more than 1100 in the long run. 1100 does seem kinda steep but then again, I got raped by a Firestone shop last fall when my water pump went out on a Sunday morning in my 93 eurovan and cost me over $800. The local shop I take it to normally said it should have cost around 600 or less.
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they would like to replace the timing belt for $1100 Shocked
I wouldn't put it off, I'd get it done, but elsewhere. It doesn't cost THAT much to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The belt on my wife's 91 Passat 2.0l 16v broke. It had 7 bent intake valves and one broken. The repair bill came to $3800.

BTW.. .the belt was replaced at 60k and broke at 78k. VWoA told me 12 months/12k miles and they would not help.

The dealer gave me 25% off.

That's the way VW treated a 35 year customer. And since then i've owned 3 Honda with my wife's 03 needing two repairs past the warranty period. Honda fixed them both for free.

They now have my loyalty.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MikeHill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a new timing belt is on my list of "fun" ways to help spend my "economic stimulus" check. I found a local guy who said he'd replace the belt for $600. I'll be damned if I'm giving VWoA $1100.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not VWoA you're paying, it's your local business that is franchised under VWoA. Still I see where you're coming from.

But really, 1100 bucks for a timing belt job??? Its been like 7 years since I was a full-time mechanic but that job can't be that bad - that's just an 8-valve engine right? I did a timing belt on a 98 Jetta 2.0 that I bought for a friend of mine and I don't think it was no $1100 job. Even 600 seems a bit high, but inflation has really jumped since I worked on them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was $670 for my daughter's Jetta -- also an ABA engine. There were other little things, too. So, $600 is quite reasonable.

$1,100 sounds more like a timing belt for a TDI.

Anyway, don't put it off. I have heard horror stories.
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Well, it's not VWoA you're paying, it's your local business that is franchised under VWoA. Still I see where you're coming from.

But really, 1100 bucks for a timing belt job??? Its been like 7 years since I was a full-time mechanic but that job can't be that bad - that's just an 8-valve engine right?

Its been about 5 years since I was a full time mechanic. I just went to the sister dealership of my old employer to get an inspection. I was reading the "menu" of services.........$900 to do a 10,000 mile service on a KIA!!! thats just an oil change and a tranny flush from their description Shocked Shocked

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the dealers wonder why people don't want to use them for service? They want $145 for the oil changes for my W8.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Kelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalteen wrote:

Its been about 5 years since I was a full time mechanic. I just went to the sister dealership of my old employer to get an inspection. I was reading the "menu" of services.........$900 to do a 10,000 mile service on a KIA!!! thats just an oil change and a tranny flush from their description Shocked Shocked

I left as parts manager for KIA Atlanta South 3 years ago, and at that time, we were charging $120-150 for the 10k service. On any model.
I hate people. Are you people? I hate you.

Just trying to remember classic Samba quotes from the 'Days of Yore'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked[/quote]

Ovalteen, I love your sig line. So true, so true. Laughing

I swear the commonwealth must heavily invest in monroe or gabriel or something. They never met a hill they couldn't pave over or a tree they couln't go around either.
Machette Speedster
2012 Passat TDI SE (sadly sitting in a buyback parking lot somewhere waiting for it's heart to be ripped out.)
Thomas the 66 fastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the timing belt replaced ASAP, my wife’s car 99 passat 1.8T had the timing belt slip and when I removed the head I discovered that all valves were bent and caused damage to the piston tops. It now sits in our garage because I can’t afford a new engine. I am seriously considering parting out the car. Anybody need parts?
paxilill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1100 Shocked I replaced the timing belt, complete waterpump, thermostat and tensioner in my 1995 Jetta with a 2.0 in three hours while working in the street. I think the parts from autohauz were under $200.

That also included me changing the oil and flushing the coolant.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeHill on May 12th wrote:
My wife has a 98 Cabrio 2.0. The local VW dealer would love to replace the timing belt for $1100. With this engine what happens when it breaks?

Thomas the 66 fastback on Oct 9th wrote:
Get the timing belt replaced ASAP

Timely advice Laughing
1970vwv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm thinking of becoming an vw mechanic!$1100 for an less then 1 hr job?
wheelman21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace it....if it goes, you are going to wish you did. It cost around $900 for the job on my 1.8 TT, and that was at an independant that charges $35-40 less pr hour than the stealership.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: