Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts for the sliding windows??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Parts for the sliding windows?? Reply with quote

The sliding glass windows of my Westy have nylon clips which slip into place under the lower ends of the glass channel, and serve as runners to prevent the metel-to-metel contact between aluminum guides.
VW part number 281 847 723
One of the clips is missing, and I find that they are NLA from VW. I wonder whether anyone has a substitute suggestion.

James

Last edited by JWPATE on Wed May 14, 2008 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=1464530415&ct=1508353218

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million Loogy,
VW and others had reported NLA. What a relief. I was already wondering how I would go about making the things.

James
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received some from Busdepot. They have a pile in stock. Yes my order was received in a timely fashion and complete. I love all our suppliers.
85_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those with older vans (like an '84 for for example) the guide pieces are a little different and really are NLA. The newer guides can be used but one has to either modify the guide piece then glue it in ... or modify the aluminum channel with a dremel or some such so that the guide piece will "Click" in like on newer models.

Mike
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s very interesting Wellington, for The Bus Depot was one of the firms which told me yesterday that the guides are now NLA. They suggested that I search for used ones.

Mike, thanks for that information. Mine is an 84, so I shall see if I can’t modify the aluminum channel to accept the new style guides.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=58&category=43&group=72&prodgroup=-1
Call them up and ask for it by part #. I just received ten. When i order i ask they confirm stock, takes a second loger but you know if you are short shipped right away. The sales person's comment at the time was "we got a bin full". Knowing it is NLA, and i got a project on the go, I took 10.
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got 10 Shocked

Just a regular guy
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well , i'm going to use two for you.
I need two for my own, and if i redo my center sliders, I'm going to need 4, so there go 8. 2 spares. Did i mention I love spares. The price of them is cheap so it's good to have a couple, never know, just may help someone out sometime.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I already talked to them. I have the guides on order now from Van-Cafe.

James
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

85_Westy wrote:
For those with older vans (like an '84 for for example) the guide pieces are a little different and really are NLA. The newer guides can be used but one has to either modify the guide piece then glue it in ... or modify the aluminum channel with a dremel or some such so that the guide piece will "Click" in like on newer models.

I'd like to hear a little more about the "modification" of the clips and/or channels. I have a bunch, ready to install on my '84. What specifically did you Dremel? Or what are the options?
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the window guides are no longer available for the early Vanagons (pre '84 as far as I know), I modified my aluminium window slides (the ones glued to the sliding windows) beacaue the new plastic window guides are only available for the latter model Vanagons. I tried to modify the plastic guides at first but they would inevitably fly off on the highway when my kids opened the windows (the new plastic guides need to be slightly modified to fit the older vanagons and then they need to be glued into place, pretty hard to get a good glue job in that spot). I had bought two spare guides in anticipation of needing them eventually. In order to modify the aluminium slides to make them properly accept the new plastic guides you need to remove the sliding windows. To do this you have to remove the window latch (I used a flat screwdriver bit to remove the latch's retaining screw. I loosed the screw with the flat screwdriver bit and a small adjustable wrench, then I finished removing the screw with the screwdriver bit with my fingers). I then removed the rubber window channel so that I could lift the sliding window up and then supposedly out. This is where it got a little tricky for me, because it would not come out like it was supposed to. I had to use some big carpenter's clamps that can be used to spread thing apart and spread the aluminium window frame apart just a little bit so that the window would come out. I also had to use a wide paint scraper in the middle of the window (between the window glass and the aluminium frame) to ease the window out with very little force. This whole process only took about 5 minutes on the second window (once I had figured out how to get the window out). Once I had the window out, I looked at the new plastic window guided and figured out how the aluminium window slide had to be modified for the new guide to lock into place. Pretty hard to descried this part but it will be evident once you look at the aluminium slide and the new plastic guide. Here is my attempt to describe what I did: I lined up the new plastic guide on the aluminium slide and marked the little ridge inside the aluminium slide where the plastic guide should lock into it (you can see the locking part on the new plastic guided). I then took my Dremel and took a little notch out of the ridge of the window slide for the guides to lock into it. I then had to shave off a little bit of aluminium ridge from the notch that I made to the end of the slide so the guide would slide in properly. This may sound a little confusing...but once you get going you will see what needs to be done...and my description will likely make more sense. Please feel free to pmail if you have any questions.

Last edited by Pascal on Fri May 16, 2008 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
http://www.busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=58&category=43&group=72&prodgroup=-1

Call them up and ask for it by part #. I just received ten. When i order i ask they confirm stock, takes a second loger but you know if you are short shipped right away. The sales person's comment at the time was "we got a bin full". Knowing it is NLA, and i got a project on the go, I took 10.

Yes, we do have them. Sorry if someone there told you otherwise, JWPATE; they probably either didn't realize we still had them on hand, or were looking at the wrong part number.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Ron, Do you have them for the earlier Westys, an 82 to be exact/ mine are missing on the passengers side. Not only does it allow the window to slide like it should, if their missing like mine are...the whole window rattles like hell.
We have huge frikken pot-holes on the freeway and streets here in town and Im afraid on day the whole window will shatter.
Right now I have a wooden wedge inserted in the window channel but Id like to do it right.
BD to the rescue.
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone found a NOS supply, they are no lo0nger avainlable as far a I know. See my post above to retrofit the new guides to your older westy. Mine are still holding up fine after 4 years.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: