Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HHO gas as a fuel supplement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busfreak_71
Flat 4 Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspector58 wrote:
No, that's the whole reason to use 304 stainless, it does not corrode. I got mine from a welder buddy that had some scraps laying around.

Alright thanks. I did try to build a generator once, it did work and threw off A LOT of gas, but the stainless steel that I used was not good quality and it turned into a lump of rust in no time at all. Laughing I'll see if I can find a supplier of 304 stainless in Edmonton. I'd really like to try this on my TDI, as i burn a tank of diesel a week, <5L/100KM is still good though. Wink
'85 Mercedes 300SD

Resident Off-Grid hippie and diesel advocate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Thanks, Andrew. Wcdennis must not have read my post, because he basically repeated what Neal was arguing in barely-altered form. Your rebuttal was far more succinct than mine.

There are definitely scam artists making outrageous claims, and attempting to market these systems at outrageous prices (I'm still using that expensive toothpaste, too, but still have the same crappy job and no girlfriend). Likewise, that says nothing about the technology, but plenty about the personalities of those individuals and the nature of commerce.

Tencent,

The point I was trying to make is that, just like the $30 supercharger (which is based on sound principals, but laughably inadequate) most (maybe all) of these devices that are being sold on the internet are junk. I did the research, and like you came to the conclusion that there is solid science behind the idea, but it involves altering the cars fuel mixture to take advantage of the hydrogen. So, any legitimate hydrogen device should come with a way to re-map your fuel injection. When these scam artists claim that you can get 60 MPG with their device, they are lying. Just like the people selling the $30 supercharger when they say it will boost your horse power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inspector58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Other uses for HHO Reply with quote

. Very Happy .

Last edited by inspector58 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm naturally skeptical of this sort of thing, but a local shop owner, a top-notch driveability tech that I've known for years, has just started installing the "dutchman" system. A fair bit of post-installation tuning of their system is required, and the vehicle needs to be healthy and in proper tune to begin with.

When I saw this guy on Tuesday, he had just returned from a post-installation test drive on a Suzuki somethingoranother; .88 gallons of fuel burned in 54.6 miles. Same gas pump, filled full to auto shutoff.

I don't doubt that it works. My question is, will it continue to do so into the future. Is the system stable? Will there be unforeseen secondary consequences such as throttle body or intake system corrosion, shortened valve life, or exhaust system troubles? If the system is compromised and a large volume of hydrogen gas is allowed to collect somewhere...

We all remember (indirectly) the Hindenburg. Of course, any Vanagon owner is aware that gasoline is also flammable.
inspector58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Very Happy .

Last edited by inspector58 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I read that somewhere. Cotton fabric coated with a mixture of nitrate dope and aluminum powder. An engineer from Morton-Thiocol (sp?) said that if took that stuff and rolled it up really tight and slid that into an aluminum tube, you'd have a pretty good approximation of the fuel source of a Space Shuttle solid rocket booster. Don't try this at home. Exclamation
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OilNBolts wrote:

When I saw this guy on Tuesday, he had just returned from a post-installation test drive on a Suzuki somethingoranother; .88 gallons of fuel burned in 54.6 miles. Same gas pump, filled full to auto shutoff.

0.88 gallons??? The car might have been tilted a little different while filling or something, maybe the nozzle was turned two degree different. Get back to us when he has burned through a hundred gallons of fuel or driven a couple of thousand miles, then his results will be meaningful.
inspector58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Very Happy .

Last edited by inspector58 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sugarloaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not saying I've bought into HHO yet, but its nice to see someone making a go at proving its viability

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9960833-54.html
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugarloaf wrote:
not saying I've bought into HHO yet, but its nice to see someone making a go at proving its viability

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9960833-54.html

This guy claims that he is blending HHO and gas at a 30-40% ratio. If it takes him 50 hp to cruise down the road this would mean he is using 20-25 hp to run the alternator. Thats one big alternator, around 20,000 watts if I have my math correct. Even enough HHO to supplement 1% of the fuel would be a pretty good electrical load, better than 30 amps at 12V. Too bad you can't run down the road on hype, this one should go pretty far on a gallon.
amattos5519
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a 15% increase on my 1984 toyota pickup drawing 10 amps on 12 volts
AMERI-SWISS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inspector58 wrote:
Sometimes I get the feeling that God is up there looking down at us and saying 2 parts hydrogen, and one part oxygen, and I covered 70 percent of the planet with it. Will they ever figure it out? LOL!

LMAO

OKAY enough with does it work or not. Someone please just build one and put it on your vanagon and test it out. I would think with all the other custom modifications people do to their VW's this one would be fairly easy and I know that most people here have the mechanical know how to do it, if not Inspector58 offered to show you how to do it for free! So whats stopping you?
I'm still dealing with paperwork issues here in Switzerland so my van is still parked. Hopefully I will get the green light next month. (from what I've been told) If it works I'm all for it so someone please try it. What have you got to lose?
amattos5519
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only question with addind one to my van i if the ecu will adjust properly or if i need to adjust the mixture manually. other than that i have all the parts ready to go
inspector58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Very Happy .

amattos5519
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is true but could the ecu sense a leaner mixture and richen it, because hydrogen burnoff is water vapor. that was a concern on a 4runner that we had
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might, and that's one of the potential problems that can prevent you getting a real mpg improvement when adding HHO or other modifications.

First of all, if you make mixture adjustments with a working lambda system (o2 sensor feedback), they have no effect on idle and normal running; only on warmup and WOT. So that's the problem, the system does self-adjust, and it will keep trying to settle in at a 14.7:1 AFR.

Normally, the AFM, along with Temp1 (intake air) only determines mixture until the ECU sees the coolant temp threshhold met (Temp2 signal), then it looks at the o2 signal and lets lambda keep tuning to 14.7 all the time, except at WOT when it once again runs open loop and high-load mixture is determined by the AFM load signal along with Temp2.

14.7 is not the best mixture for the engine, it's the best mixture for the catalytic convertor. It's important to keep that in mind.

The premise seems to be that with a working HHO generator feeding the intake the engine can make the same power with less fuel at a given load. But in order to get that benefit, rather than simply more power, perhaps, under heavy engine load, you do have to tweak the FI to run leaner at cruise.

There's more than one way to do it.

One way is to run open-loop, and use the AFM only to determine mixture. I'm running nowadays with no lambda loop, o2 sensor removed, no cat, and I have adjusted my AFM to give about 18:1 AFR at idle, 16-16.5 at cruise, and 12-12.5 at full load. The full load mixture is progressive; it varies with the actual load, settling back into the cruise AFR as load decreases and the rpms increase to my desired speed.

I do almost entirely highway driving, and this has resulted in about 10% increase in cruising fuel efficiency at my usual speed of 75-80mph, from 18 to 20mpg. At lower speeds we see as high as 24.

This is only possible by careful trial and error adjusting of the AFM internals (the CO screw has little effect except at idle), and road-testing using a wide-band o2 monitor to get real-time mixture readings. The same thing could be done with an HHO gen working, adjusting for a lean idle and cruise mixture after accounting for the effects the HHO has on combustion.

Another, simpler way, requiring less in the way of FI modification and not needing a WBo2 monitor, is to build one of these:

http://better-mileage.com/memberadx.html

This little electronic device artificially indexes the lambda controller portion of the ECU to a lower voltage. Instead of trying to average at 0.5V from the sensor, the device receives the o2 signal and applies a programmable offset so the ECU tries instead to average around 0.1V, because when sensor output is 0.1V the ECU is being fed 0.5V instead. Due to the very non-linear output of a narrow-band o2 sensor, making the ECU seek to a 0.1V signal only results in a very small mileage increase, maybe 1mpg or 5% according to the article. What it mainly does is prevent the ECU from responding to any alterations in combustion eficiency by actually running richer, which under some circumstances it is likely to do. But it should be a simple, cheap, and easy to install for the backyard mechanic. We have the parts to build a couple of these, but my electronics expert friend is out of town and has the parts, so we haven't tested these as of yet.

(Also, please read the article and study the o2 output graph before commenting on this, because most of you will be surprised at how you have misunderstood the nature of the NBo2 signal. You cannot tune mixture to a NBo2 signal with a VOM with any practical accuracy.)

(Also, for the skeptics who see a scam everywhere, note that the site I linked to offers the schematics and detailed instructions online, for free, and charges very small fees for preassembled controllers. He is also not promoting HHO, but water or water vapor injection. So he may be wrong, try it for yourself and see, but he at least believes enough in what he's doing to simply disseminate the info without trying to get rich by it.)

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amattos5519
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens if a device is hooked up with no ecu mods?
inspector58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Very Happy .

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! The pooled knowledge in our little VW Van forum never ceases to amaze me.

Someone in the thread mentioned the Hydrogen gas welder (pour in water and plug it into the wall socket) ... I coincidentally was part of a NZ company in the mid '80s in which one of the principals of our company developed the circuitry for this welder (after our group had disbanded). The efficiency level of this circuitry was so highly coveted by the company that he then worked for AND the NZ government, that to this day he's the only guy who has ever been charged under an obscure NZ industrial espionage law when he tried to export this technology to Korea. That's a long off topic story, but ...

... Just about a year ago, I picked up the newspaper and read a lengthy article about another fellow who had developed a very similar circuitry package for the automobile industry, doing exactly what the Inspector's gadget does, but in a very efficient manner. I'm surprised that no one else remembers reading this article. If I recall correctly, net gains were in the range of about 10-15% ... a figure so significant, that expectations were that the U.S. automakers would HAVE to buy into this technology eventually to attain the fuel efficiency imposed upon them some time in the future ... even though it meant a hefty increase in automobile sticker price (about $2K ?).

Just my .02 cents worth pointing out how significant a 10-15% gain really is ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amattos5519 wrote:
what happens if a device is hooked up with no ecu mods?

That can be hard to predict, but apparently what's going on with the addition of HHO is more complete combustion of the primary fuel, because the H radicals mixed in the charge aid flame propagation. This seems to be the principle dynamic involved, it's not hard to understand, and it's why the idea makes enough sense to me to be worth investigating. Pure H burns very rapidly and completely, so if you have radicals of H distributed throughout the charge, they will ignite even faster than the much heavier molecules that comprise the primary fuel. So there may be a primary ignition of H that results in more complete secondary ignition of the HC fuel, using more of what is present in the charge and therefore leaving less unburnt and producing more energy from a given mass of fuel introduced to the intake by the FI. It would take very little H added for it to burn this way, I believe, because H in free air has a very very wide range of combustibility as expressed in ratios of O2 to H.

But the things that happen as secondary effects are harder to predict, and my knowledge of chemistry isn't adequate to understand them. I know that simply burning the fuel more completely does not necessarily result in a drop of exhaust O2, as there are many other elements to combustion and post-combustion (what is happening to the extremely hot gases as they escape the cylinder and begin down the exhaust tract), such as chemical reduction of CO, changes in the rates of formation of NOx, etc. The total oxygen balance is difficult to predict and can be paradoxical, because you also have the presence of H radicals in the combustion mix.

But if the net result is an increase in exhaust O2 content, for instance, the O2 sensor sees that as a smaller difference between exhaust O2 and atmospheric O2, it generates a signal at lower voltage, and the ECU sees this as a leaner condition, so it increase injector duration. The net effect in that scenario would be an increase in power under load, but a richer primary mixture at the same time, negating any efficiency benefits. So in that case the lambda system needs to be overridden, or tricked into running leaner by altering the O2 sensor voltage.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: