Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I hate modern cars!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: I hate modern cars! Reply with quote

They're cheaply built.
On-board diagnostics is more trouble than it's worth.
I bought one so I wouldn't have to rely on my Westy as a DD, but this thing is such a pain in the ass to fix when things go wrong.

What are your thoughts Sambanistas?

'71 Westy "Maggie" - M-Plate

Parts for sale!
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define modern?
what did you buy and how many miles are on it?
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 Hyundai Accent with 120k (99k when I bought it).

I know, Hyundais are cheap. Still better than anything American in it's class.

Really thinking of finding a decent Squareback as a DD.

Parts for sale!
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

That statement is BS, I had a Pontiac Sunbird with 250,000 miles on it that was great, but anyway, on board diagnostics allows technicians to identify problems quickly, and alert the driver that there is a problem, particularly with emissions. This allows us to have breatheable air. Wink Not everything in the world can be a DIY industry.

I came back to edit, as I realized it seems like I am starting a pissing match, I'm not.
What is wrong with the car?

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my opinion that, aside from some high-end trucks, Detroit hasn't produced a quality automobile in 30 years or so.
I also think that having a computer monitor you engine is no replacement for a skilled mechanic keeping it in efficient running condition.

But those are just my opinions.

As for what's wrong with the car. I recently failed an emissions test due to a "P0442 - Evap system leak detected (small leak)" I tore apart the system and found a cracked hose. Replaced and code went away. Cheap fix, but a PITA.
Now, this morning, I noticed my auto transmission wasn't shifting quite right and the CEL came on during my drive. Plugged in my OBD scanner and got "P0745 - Pressure control solenoid malfunction". Parked it for a few minutes, started up again and it's driving fine, though the code remains. I'm really hoping this doesn't mean there's something wrong with the tranny. Checked fluid and it looked fine.
On the thread subject pertaining to transmissions... there's tons of 30+ year old vehicles, VW, American and otherwise, that have been driving around with never having major auto trans problems.

Parts for sale!
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

Bought a Toyota Tacoma with 48,000 on it, drove it for another 104,000 miles without a single problem, sold it for $2900 less than I paid for it 8 years earlier. It really just depends on what you're driving, man.

I can't understand anybody who drives an air cooled VW (or any
VW for that matter) daily. I just installed a counterweighted, balanced 1600 with everything I could buy brand new and I drive it to the grocery store and I'm afraid it's going to puke.
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: I hate modern cars! Reply with quote

Compare the construction quality of a 2012 VW with with a 60's or 70's model... The aircooled is definitely more solid. Same can be said of most any manufacturer.

Parts for sale!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:
It's my opinion that, aside from some high-end trucks, Detroit hasn't produced a quality automobile in 30 years or so.
I also think that having a computer monitor you engine is no replacement for a skilled mechanic keeping it in efficient running condition.
*yawn*
Quote:

But those are just my opinions.

As for what's wrong with the car. I recently failed an emissions test due to a "P0442 - Evap system leak detected (small leak)" I tore apart the system and found a cracked hose. Replaced and code went away. Cheap fix, but a PITA.
So is replacing the in-tank strainer on a "superior" ACVW Rolling Eyes
Quote:

Now, this morning, I noticed my auto transmission wasn't shifting quite right and the CEL came on during my drive. Plugged in my OBD scanner and got "P0745 - Pressure control solenoid malfunction".

P0745 - Pressure Control Solenoid Malfunction

Quote:
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Transmission shift shock
Possible causes
- Faulty line pressure solenoid valve
- Line pressure solenoid valve harness or connectors
- Line pressure solenoid valve circuit is open or shorted
- Low transmission fluid level
- Dirty transmission fluid
Tech notes
When the a transmission solenoid is malfunction, in most cases the problem is not the electrical part of the solenoid; the problem is foreign material obstructing the mechanical function of the solenoid or the flow of the fluid through the transmission valve body. If the transmission fluid is very dirty, it is recommend changing the transmission fluid and if possible removing the transmission pan for further diagnosis. Excessive debris or metal particles on the transmission pan could be an indication that there is a transmission mechanical failure and that the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
When is the code detected?
The P0745 is detected when TCM detects an improper voltage drop when it tries to operate the solenoid valve.
P0745 Description
The line pressure solenoid valve regulates the oil pump discharge pressure to suit the driving condition in response to a signal sent from the Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P0745 Information for specific makes
P0745 ACURA
P0745 BMW
P0745 FORD
P0745 HYUNDAI
P0745 INFINITI
P0745 JEEP
P0745 KIA
P0745 MAZDA
P0745 MITSUBISHI
P0745 NISSAN
P0745 SUZUKI

For specific makes, go to the site and click on the appropriate manufacturer.

Quote:

Parked it for a few minutes, started up again and it's driving fine, though the code remains. I'm really hoping this doesn't mean there's something wrong with the tranny. Checked fluid and it looked fine.

Codes don't magically go away. The computer has to analyze the data for a number of cycles and may clear it should the condition correct itself. If you don't know or understand how to repair the problem claiming it's junk invalidates your opinion.

Quote:
On the thread subject pertaining to transmissions... there's tons of 30+ year old vehicles, VW, American and otherwise, that have been driving around with never having major auto trans problems.
Really? Go down to a local transmission builder and tell him that. Let us know what he says after he finishes laughing.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: I hate modern cars! Reply with quote

Quote:

Compare the construction quality of a 2012 VW with with a 60's or 70's model... The aircooled is definitely more solid. Same can be said of most any manufacturer.

my 2005 VW seems to be holding up as well as my aircooled VW and I have not a worry if I wreck the 2005, with passive restraints and airbags, while the 1972 is holding me back from the steel dashboard with iffy seatbelts....

and the engine management controls give my 2005 VW better fuel economy than my '72, while weighing a half-ton more, is roomier, more comfortable, air-conditioned, etc....

sounds like you need to do more maintenance on your ten-year-old Hyundai and it would treat you better....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you bought a used car, and one of the issues with that is that you don't know how it was maintained. Just the part where you had to look at the trans fluid tells me you don't know when it was changed...

I'm not trying to start an argument. I buy used vehicles too, but I buy the cleanest lowest mialage most documented cars when I can, and when I cant... I change the timing belt, all the fluids are upgraded to synthetic, do the brakes, etc. I love new cars and I wouldn't go back to DD'ing a classic. Too much wear and tare on the car, myself, and the wallet

a hundai with 100K miles...I can't even imagine the lack of maintainance
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate modern cars! Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

What are you smoking, fellow, and where might I get some? Beetles, Ghias, and Type 3s are flimsy as all get out. That's why they're so light. Buses are a little better but still no great shakes.
Check out my ongoing story.
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, thanks for the info.
Yes, transmissions fail occasionally and need to be replaced. However, plenty of old vehicles on the road have never needed a major overhaul.

hazetguy wrote:
who is being sarcastic?

you're complaining about a low end, 10 year old car having problems? gimme a break.

Questioning my intelligence is pretty damn sarcastic. For your information, my IQ test in high school resulted in a score of 139. Well above the 98th percentile required by MENSA. But, whatever.

Not saying the car should never have problems, but resolving such problems often requires specialized tools and occasionally expensive diagnostic equipment, usually resulting in a rather expensive trip to a mechanic. Keep in mind that ACVWs were once considered low-end cars.

Replacing tried-and-true methods of vehicle construction with cheap, plastic alternatives speaks volumes about the "disposable" mentality of the modern consumer.
I have a friend who owned an '05 Jetta TDI and had the head crack at 40k miles. This car had no high-performance mods and her driving style is akin to your average mom. Also, not a low-end vehicle by any means.

Parts for sale!
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
you bought a used car, and one of the issues with that is that you don't know how it was maintained. Just the part where you had to look at the trans fluid tells me you don't know when it was changed...

I actually changed myself about 8,000 miles ago... PO had receipts that it was originally done at 75k.

Parts for sale!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:
resolving such problems often requires specialized tools and occasionally expensive diagnostic equipment,

just like an air cooled VW.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

Replacing tried-and-true methods of vehicle construction with cheap, plastic alternatives speaks volumes about the "disposable" mentality of the modern consumer.

No, the construction method is because of Government mandates on fleet fuel standards. The weight has to come off somewhere, so guess what?
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is not a troll, well then I'm not sure what to say.

You bought a 10 year old economy car with 100,000 miles on it....

Maybe your saying simpler is better? If that's the point you are trying to convey, it's not coming across that way.
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

not one car was ever made to last forever.
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that it's considered an "economy car" is irrelevant. I've seen newer, more advanced cars have major problems well before they should. Hyundai has a factory warranty to 100k miles. I'm well aware that it wasn't built to last forever, but no car should immediately start falling apart after the warranty expires.

I'm also not saying that modern safety innovations are a bad thing, as a former girlfriend of mine had her life saved by an airbag.

hero419 wrote:

Maybe your saying simpler is better? If that's the point you are trying to convey, it's not coming across that way.

I guess this may be what I'm trying to say. The same things that are supposed make our modern cars more reliable, more powerful, more efficient, and harder to steal, also make them more difficult (and frequently more expensive) to work on.
I know I can keep my ACVW running like a top. Do I have occasional unexpected repairs? Of course. But 99% of the time, it is something I can resolve on my own, and on the side of the road if need be.

Parts for sale!
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:

I have a friend who owned an '05 Jetta TDI and had the head crack at 40k miles. This car had no high-performance mods and her driving style is akin to your average mom.
Well, that explains that. I'll bet she "maintained" it like the average mom as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave24 wrote:
WestyMan1971 wrote:

I have a friend who owned an '05 Jetta TDI and had the head crack at 40k miles. This car had no high-performance mods and her driving style is akin to your average mom.
Well, that explains that. I'll bet she "maintained" it like the average mom as well.

"driving" like an average mom is disparaging as well; most soccer moms here drive like maniacs...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: