Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How hard to replace ignition switch?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: How hard to replace ignition switch? Reply with quote

Just wondering how hard or easy it is to replace a ignition switch on a 1989 Syncro Vanagon? I am not sure mine is necessarily bad but I wanted to replace it now as once in awhile after a drive, it does not want to start. Just get lights on dash light up, no sounds, no clicks, just the lights. After a minute or so she starts right up. Just one of those once in awhile things and I figure lets start by replacing the switch in case it gets bad contact.

Also, if I buy this switch mechanism, does it mean my old key no longer works? Or do I take the ignition part to a locksmith and tell him to key to my main key before sticking it in.

Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on the web, esp. Gerry, the vanagon list. It's well documented.
It's very easy for a non mech.

Disconnect battery.
You have to unscrew the steering wheel (remove klaxon pad).
Take the SW off.
Remove (unscrew) the 2 panels around the S. column.
I think you have to unplug the wipers and the other indicators. Take them off.
You should be able to access it. A couple of screws.

The web has it in easy well doc. steps.

JP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow what Crughy says. It's fairly easy. If you haven't taken it out before (or the PO) you'll need to drill a small hole as per the Bentley in order to gain access to the spring clip that holds it in place. Then all you need is a pen tip (or something like it) to remove the cylinder. Then take it to a good locksmith and have him rekey it to whatever you want. My Westy is now a one key van. Fairly easy. Have fun!
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Follow what Crughy says. It's fairly easy. If you haven't taken it out before (or the PO) you'll need to drill a small hole as per the Bentley in order to gain access to the spring clip that holds it in place. Then all you need is a pen tip (or something like it) to remove the cylinder. Then take it to a good locksmith and have him rekey it to whatever you want. My Westy is now a one key van. Fairly easy. Have fun!

So you have to rekey this thing?

I thought I would only be replacing the electronic switch part and not the actual keyed mechanism?

I need to track down my Bentley in whatever box I have it stashed in. <grin>

I did find a Been There Done That on a ignition and it made no mention of rekeying.

tj

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oups. I forgot your second question.

No, the ignition switch is just an electric connector, underneath the key mechanism. It's a different part.
Same key. Don't worry about that, you won't need to touch that part.

I just read what 1621 said. I can't remember needing to drill something, it was all easy. Just like a lego, disassemble, reassemble.

JP
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual procedure is relatively easy. There are a few pitfalls. You should use a puller to get the silver part (the housing for the switch, lock and column lock), to come off the shaft. Or you can use a soft mallet to try to coax it off. The part that is tricky is the U-joint at the bottom near the pedals kind of falls apart, no big deal to put back together, but then you have the indexing issue. So putting a block of wood in there to keep it from collapsing makes assembly a lot easier.

The switch itself comes out after removing the one screw. It makes no difference to your key.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry, I guess I should read through more thoroughly before I post. No, you don't need to even pull the key cylinder out. All in all, a fairly simple task. You shouldn't even need the Bentley, so don't bother looking through your boxes to find it. Smile
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: How hard to replace ignition switch? Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
Just wondering how hard or easy it is to replace a ignition switch on a 1989 Syncro Vanagon? I am not sure mine is necessarily bad but I wanted to replace it now as once in awhile after a drive, it does not want to start. Just get lights on dash light up, no sounds, no clicks, just the lights. After a minute or so she starts right up. Just one of those once in awhile things and I figure lets start by replacing the switch in case it gets bad contact.

Also, if I buy this switch mechanism, does it mean my old key no longer works? Or do I take the ignition part to a locksmith and tell him to key to my main key before sticking it in.

Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

tj

It's all there:
http://www.benplace.com/dash.htm

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZimmerVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this last week and followed the procedure outlined here:
http://www.carboncow.com/vanagon/

click on "procedures" then "ignition switch"

piece o' cake.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: