Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone explain full flow oil systems to me
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Can someone explain full flow oil systems to me Reply with quote

Im not the smartest guy on the block and I am having a hard time understanding what full flow oil systems are. All I know is that my 1776 dual carb motor is not full flow. I have been thinking about doing it but I have I some questions if you dont mind

What is Full flow?
Why do people do it?
what do I need to do to my case?
what do I need to buy?
Can I do it to an already built case or do I need to rebuild it?
what advantage will I get from full flow?
will my bug run cooler?

Thanks a bunch!
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full flow oiling system simply means the oil is pumped through a filter and sometimes a cooler before being returned to the engine.

The VW engine has no filter. It just has a screen. So the addition of an inline filter will extend the life of the engine.

Another draw back to the VW engine is the small oil capacity of the crank case. Adding a filter and lines will increase tthe amount of oil available to your engine.

Adding a cooler will also keep oil temps down and add additional capacity.

Should you do it? Well, the answer isn't simple. I would say yes to adding a filter simply because it helps to remove abrasive particulates from the oil.

As for adding a cooler, you first need to monitor your oil temps. DON'T add a cooler simply because it is the "cool" thing to do or because someone who sells them in a catalog says you need one!

Oil MUST be in the proper temperature range in order for it to lubricate properly. If you add a cooler and oil capacity, you may end up running too cool with your engine temperatures. This can be more damaging then running hot and also increases the warm up time of the engine.

So, if you want to spend money and buy cool stuff for your car, start with a few gauges. This will let you know whats going on and if you should add additional oil capacity or coolers.

As for filters, I prefer the oil pump/filter deal. It's simple, not expensive and won't add additional complicated plumbing to the engine. It only adds a minimal amount of capacity and some say it is too close to the exhaust, but this is a simple way to keep your oil clean.

If you are concerned about heat from the exhaust, a simple sheet metal heat shield can be fabricated to keep the radiant heat away from the filter.
calig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of gauges and I donít like them because all I do is look at them and worry but that is another issue.

The oil temps get pretty hot in my mind. After about 30 minutes of city driving the gauge is around 210-220 and going up. That alone is not making me worry much but I feel like if I keep driving longer the temps will keep going up.

I also have a oil pressure gauge and it reads in the 40's when itís cold and 20ís when its warm while I am driving. However sometime when I am at idle the oil light comes up. If I give it a little rev then it goes out but comes on again when I am back to idle. My tach shows my idle is around 800rpms. I also have the dual VDO oil pressure sender and was reading that it turns the light on at around 10-15psi and the stock sender comes on at 7psi. When at idle with a warm car the gauge reads at the 10 hash mark.

So I am a little worried that car is running on the hot side. I have the doghouse cooler and 1.5qt sump. The timing and carbs where just tuned by my local VW shop.

I was thinking that I would go full flow to add a filter and possibly another cooler but I donít want to just cure a symptom. Also to do full flow the case needs to be tapped right? Can I do that on an already built motor or does it need a tear down? My motor is only a year old.
Joesplace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into this also and have been told, you MUST drill and tap the case for the return line and it's best to drill and tap the case at the pump to plug it also (prevents oil leaks). I don't want to disassemble my engine at this time so does this adapter really work as well as tapping the case?

Oil Return Adapter (Full Flow Adapter)
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECO0027&cartid=0520200857901380

Here's their whole kit it minus the adapter . . .
http://www.aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=ECO0011&cartid=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told oil temp is should run between 180 and 210F.
Can someone flesh this out for me.

thanks,

Fred
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

180-210 is normal
210-230 is warm
230-250 is hot
250+ is turn the engine off

iride4sue.org

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: