Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Tach
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veedubmulisha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: a jumpy needle Reply with quote

my tach is wired right. its grounded proper, the negative to the coil and hooked to power. its set for a 4 cylinder. yet the needle is jumpy.. i added a resistor like in autometers tips. its still jumpy. any idea why?
Bierboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: a jumpy needle Reply with quote

veedubmulisha wrote:
my tach is wired right. its grounded proper, the negative to the coil and hooked to power. its set for a 4 cylinder. yet the needle is jumpy.. i added a resistor like in autometers tips. its still jumpy. any idea why?

I added the diode (NOT the resistor) as suggested in this thread, and that took care of my nervous tach...
PapaG1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: TACH INSTALL Reply with quote

Discount Auto Parts has Bosch Tachs in two sizes with either black or white faces...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PapaG1954
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Jumpy Needle Reply with quote

Jumpy needle could be caused by grounding the unit too close to the dashboard where all your electricity is...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Sorry to revive this old thread but I have a 68 bug, how do I tap into the light circuit?

Also, I have a kill switch in the cab already, which is wired to the negative side of the coil.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Disaster06 wrote:
Sorry to revive this old thread but I have a 68 bug, how do I tap into the light circuit?

Also, I have a kill switch in the cab already, which is wired to the negative side of the coil.

By "light circuit" I assume you mean the speedo illumination circuit? This is controlled by the headlight switch. The circuit has a built in dimmer (potentiometer) in the headlight switch knob to control the brightness of the lamps in the circuit.
Looking at the trunk-side of the speedo you should see two bulb holders at 02:30 and 09:30. These are connected in series by a grey/red wire. This is the illumination wire from the headlight switch. Test this wire as a power source for your tach's light circuit. I say test, because you may find that it is too dim for your liking. If so, you can alternately tap one of the parking light wires coming off fuse #7 & #8. These are constant 12v while the parking lights are ON. There is no control over the intensity of the lights, they are either ON or OFF.
NOTE: the speedo illumination wires are NOT fused. Be careful when working with them. Short the grey/red wire to ground while the parking lights are ON and you will usually "toast" your headlight switch.

If your kill switch already runs directly to your ignition coil (-) terminal you can use this wire as your tach pickup. Just connect your tach to the wire that runs to the ignition coil and not the wire that runs to ground. As long as your kill switch is OFF (OPEN) the tach will make use of this circuit.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Awesome.

Thanks!
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Be sure and put a diode on the 'input pulse' wire to the tach! White stripe on diode towards the tach. 1N4000 up It will 'smooth' the needle.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Be sure and put a diode on the 'input pulse' wire to the tach! White stripe on diode towards the tach. 1N4000 up It will 'smooth' the needle.

Where can I find one of those? Autozone? Or electronic specialty shop?
Are they expensive?
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Never mind, just found them online for like .75 cents. Do they wire inline with the wire with a butt connector or something?

Sorry I have limited wiring experience. Essentially car stereos, haven't really done resistors or diodes though
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Quote:
Do they wire inline with the wire with a butt connector or something?

Yes, inline (series). I installed a diode that was 'laying around'. I was impressed at how steady the reading was after the install. Learned about here on Samba. Idea
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

I have mine in the engine bay, seems to me useful there when timing and doesn't spoil the dash. Has worked fine for about six months and was cheapo.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

garyt wrote:
I have mine in the engine bay, seems to me useful there when timing and doesn't spoil the dash. Has worked fine for about six months and was cheapo.

i have a digital multimeter that shows dwell and rpm for when i am working on the engine bay, I just wanted something so I could get a feel for where the engine should be shifted. my speedo doesnt really show true as i have smaller tires up front so those little notches in the speedo dont really work for me. I can shift by ear but would like to have a tach anyways.

Just installed today, ended up putting it under the dash to the right of the ash tray. looks great and didnt even have to use a diode, it has minimal fluctuation.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Quote:
minimal fluctuation

Put a diode in and you won't even have that. Cool
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Haha. I think the fluctuation is from the engine itself. You can hear it
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

The VDO tachs are really sensitve to "stray voltage" and that is the purpose for the diode.
Disaster06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Tach Reply with quote

Ah. I just got a Bosch off amazon. Does the job!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: