Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pump priming
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all Home Depot stuff. A drill pump with a common dishwasher braided line connection. Run a couple quarts through the inlet at the case and you are good to go. Easy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Ryan Babcock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: one piece window Reply with quote

Does anyone have a video or can someone walk me through installing these pain in the ass one piece Windows on a 62 vw bug sedan. I have the regulators in just the felt channel,scrapers and glass I need help with..thanks
Ryan Babcock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: one piece window Reply with quote

Does anyone have a video or can someone walk me through installing these pain in the ass one piece Windows on a 62 vw bug sedan. I have the regulators in just the felt channel,scrapers and glass I need help with..thanks
Das Dragon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, you're asking in the wrong forum...ask here--> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

With *****, "Bullshit Happens"!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: one piece window Reply with quote

Ryan Babcock wrote:
Did you prime your oil pump? Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill the sump with fresh clean oil and the level of the pump lets it prime it's self.or you can jack up the front of the car/bus. but dont try it with the rear higher than the front.
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill the oil line coming from the pump with oil and rotate the engine backward. I'll run a half quart or so through this way. Then I pull the plugs and crank the engine over until the oil light goes out. Put plugs back in and fire it up.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10 worth of junk from home depot, a spare an fitting and a wheel stem. I saw 30 psi at the supply to the case, and then swapped hoses and used it to fill the pump and pick up tube.
longboard511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull plugs slightly grease oil pump gears and crank with outletof filter off till you get oil button that back on then crank till oil light goes out or gauge reads then plugs back in and fire her up
no plugs helps take the load of the rod bearing when they dont have proper lube
also allows the motor to turn over fast
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a many of motors have been toasted by not removing the sparkingbolts.hmm a pvc accusump!!!what a concept!!!
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MURZI wrote:
This is all Home Depot stuff. A drill pump with a common dishwasher braided line connection. Run a couple quarts through the inlet at the case and you are good to go. Easy.

I like this, It looks cleaner to use than my current priming method, How fast does that pump move the oil? And does the pump stall once the oil galleys are full? Or will it keep pressuring the oil through?

Thanks!
rustybusjef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant remember who I stole the idea from or I would send you a link ,but I have an oil pump just for priming . Prior to any sheet metal install said pump with a cover that has a hole for the inverted drive gear. Spin it backwards till oil circulates .You can also use a cover that has an outlet for a full flow filter. Really works well , very easy .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pump priming Reply with quote

More complicated & expensive than the drill pump... but... I kinda just wanted to tinker around.

I picked up some 2" PVC & other bits at the hardware store.

The gate valve let me control pressure increase rate... since I had it hooked up to the compressed air line.

I wanted to be able to see oil level drop in the PVC part... so added oil, cracked the gate valve open a fuzz & stuck my finger in the hole in the top to increase & relieve pressure.

15-20 psi was a nice & easy oil add rate... not too quick... not too slow. I didn't want to blow air in & clear the passages. I didn't really need the gauge on the PVC unit, since I have a gauge at my sender... but I never know who'll I'll loan it to, so I thought I might as well throw it on.

(... and yes, those are cast iron lawn jockey matched dies in the first pic, if you know anybody that might be intere$ted & has a foundry)

cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: JPM primer Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
JPM sells an oil pump primer kit. I haven't used it, but I have other JPM parts and the quality is top notch:

http://www.jpmotorsports.se/products

I used the JPM primer and it worked well,removed rocker covers and spun the oil pump shaft with a battery drill anticlockwise till i saw oil running into the heads.
Removed oil pump cover,reversed shaft so it runs off the cam again and fitted cap and the fanshroud.

Good system and could save your newly overhauled motor from getting damaged.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: