Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Merged header slip joint leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

As you can see, my header is leaking pretty badly at one of the slip joints. I've read around and have noticed folks saying that "it'll carbon up and stop leaking" or "use hi-temp silicone" or "use muffler cement", or "put a clamp around the joint", but none of that has worked for me. The muffler cement was a while ago but you can see the carbon and the residue of hi-temp silicone. I removed the clamp for the picture.

Nothing has stopped the popping on deceleration or has prevented the carbon traces on the pipe. FWIW, this is a ceramic coated Berg header. Is there any other way to seal up this joint? Welding? Just live with it? I'd prefer not to.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a Berg header and did everything that you had tried with no avail. Finally tack welded it then pulled it off and welded it fully.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

My Berg header never leaked.

Muffler cement should of worked.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Did you smear the muffler cement on and then slide the tubes together? That should have worked

What are you running for a muffler? My headers only leaked like that when I had a lot of backpressure.

brad
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Remove the header and completely clean all the joints with acetone making sure you remove all the old RTV. Use Copper Hi-Temp RTV on the male joint about 1/2" wide bead all the way around the tube. Install header on engine and let it set 24 hours to cure before you start the engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

I had the same problem with slip joints on two brands of headers. What worked for me was to use a good coating of "Anti-Seize". It seals the gap and is flexible as the pipes slide in and out at different temperatures.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

This stuff works very well. Worked well on muffler pipe, not sure if it's up to header temp use...you could give 'em a call and ask.
http://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_pa...cts_id=754

And they sell it in a smaller qty too.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

I cleaned mine like davy said then a swip inside and out side the tube's and assemble as fast as you can.either the ultra orang or blue. Ive used the blue befor and it never set up in the closed spaces.3 years lator removing it it was still stickey&gooey and wiped off but did it's job. it also sounds like back pressure or merged header that wasent made right.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

The whole exhaust set-up is the one in the pic below. My understanding is that this is a fairly common system and that excessive back pressure isn't normally an issue but perhaps it is in my case? That muffler looks suitable, yes?

Removing the header, cleaning it up, applying a sealant, and reassembling seems like the way to go. Is there a particular reason why having it welded up isn't the first option anyone is suggesting?

MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Getting a welded header off the engine will be tough . If you never plan to use this header for any other engine combination you could weld flanges at that location so that you could bolt them together at the J pipe . This is what my turbo setup has , never leaks.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Hey Mike that's sweet Cool
Seems a shame to weld and screw up the ceramic coating
x3 with Dave suggestion ,it works
maybe a baffle broke loose in the muffler and causes more back pressure?
thus the leaks?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Like I said I did everything you tried and maybe more and still had the leak at the slip joints from cylinders 2 and 4. I welded those. You can use flanges too as an option. The J pipe tubes from cylinders 1 & 3 do not leak on mine just using the high temp RTV so I left those alone.
D/A/N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Ok, so I'll follow Dave's suggestion. I guess when I have the muffler off, I can hear if something's rattling around in there. A broken baffle should make a sound, right?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

They generally make sounds when idling and will def rattle when shaken or thumped with your hand.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

I tried gluing but it didn't last, so I cut two slits in the end of the female tube about 2cm long 180º opposite of each other. Install a band clamp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Berg 1-5/8" 6 years old... never a problem.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

[/quote]
The answer is in this Berg image. There are no slip joints in this system. All connections are flanged and gasketed. The builder of the custom header (not Berg) on my car welded flanges at the slip joints. No leaks or air caused popping on deceleration.

This is what my header looks like. Not pretty. But functional.
Good luck

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Quote:

The answer is in this Berg image. There are no slip joints in this system

Look again.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

Yeah! F**k Me. I just noticed that. Embarassed
Please disregard my post.
Thanks Glenn

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Merged header slip joint leak Reply with quote

I'd consider slightly expanding a part of the smaller slip pipe...kinda like a donut in the mid-length of it
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: