Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harpua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ Reply with quote

Link
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298625&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack&sid=91c6c45e00ca380997267ebfc4aa7fbd]Fiamma Bike Rack FAQ[/url]

Just got the fiamma t2 carry-bike rack and took it out for a nice long weekend trip and I have to say I am very impressed with the quality of this rack. It worked perfectly, holds the bikes very securely and looks very cool to boot. Every aspect of it feels well made, so although it is expensive at least it feels like money well spent (particularly since there aren't many alternatives....or none that avoid blocking lights anyway). I swapped the standard nuts on the bottom clamps that catch the bottom edge of the hatch for wing nuts to make it very easy to install/remove the rack. Install/remove now takes about 1min. and only requires tightening or loosening of the two wing nuts. I suppose that makes it that much easier to steal the bikes and rack so obviously I wouldn't park it overnight in a city with the rack and bikes hanging there. I put duct tape on the hatch at the 4 points where the clamps contact the hatch but forgot to do so where the two other pads rest on the hatch itself; the vibration from 500+ miles of driving did put some very light scratchs on the hatch under those pads so next time I'll make sure to put two spots of duct tape on the hatch where those pads touch too.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fiamma Bike Rack arms are wrong
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636875&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack
Fiamma Bike Rack Dealers?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=507943&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack
Bicycle Cover for use with the Fiamma Bike rack
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=436927&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack
Fiamma bike rack
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=293011&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack
Fiamma Bike Rack opinions
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239321&highlight=fiamma+bike+rack
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love mine too. The best bike rack for a bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great idea, I have one, however the construction is not as good as it should be. None of the plastic cap ends on my unit stayed on… and as a result a sharp edge resulted in a hospital visit to get stitches, and put a damper on a camping trip :0(

My advice would be to glue all the red end cap on with 3M Weather strip adhesive (leaving drain hole for tubes to drain)

In addition, one of the bike frame top clamp fastener is mushrooming due to week plastic clamp trying to hold steal bolt…

And, to top it all off the way the top of the rack hooks to the top of the rear hatch causes water to leak in past the hatch seal…
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post us some nice pictures, loaded, unloaded, etc. Very Happy
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of mine:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

( rack had to be set lower so triathlon bike would clear canoe)

With Mountain bike

NOVA Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice rack, does it lock to the bus in anyway (i.e. theft proof)?
- Brown Beige plaid P27 Interior (ED)
http:/[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-29638.png]Click to view image
Camper Interior donor:
[/URL]/www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=721 (M-Code for interior).
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it clip on without damaging the paint? Very Happy
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Bus wrote:
That's a nice rack, does it lock to the bus in anyway (i.e. theft proof)?

With its factory attachment method it is bolted on, does not have a provision for a lock ( could be cable locked to bumper )

chrisradioman wrote:

Does it clip on without damaging the paint?

Have not seen any, but have not removed it in two years, main issue was access to engine, and keeping bikes on rack was the reason i wnt with it, Looks to be less damaging then other options would be. Very secure too (bikes don't move)
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean you can open the tail gate with it on?
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
Does that mean you can open the tail gate with it on?

With no bikes on, you can open tail gate, either way you can open the engine compartment up

A VW team with a triathlon problem, or something like that....
phip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have / could take a more clear picture of the rack mounted? The pictures sofar are grainy and of the whole bus...

So this rack bolts on rather than clips and straps, but it can be removed without opening the door / isn't secure enough to deter a moderately determiend thief?
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it sold, I'm getting one. Very Happy
Olde Volks Place
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pages/thule-964-revolver.asp

Watch the video Exclamation
I have this on the front of my bus and it is so cool.

http://www.globalserve.net/~jrivers/latebayfront.htm
Check out this hitch I think you will want one.

I am in no way tied to the sell of these items, I just found the links on the samba and bought one of each.

I like the fact that I can now utilize the front of my bus. Cool
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$270+shipping is pretty 'spensive for a bike rack, but it fits and looks really nice, holds the bikes secure, and gives easy access to the engine.

I bit the bullet last summer and threw down for the Fiamma, and have been really happy with it. I can also sneak some aluminum lawn chairs between the bikes for extra interior space.

I wanted to go the receiver hitch route, but it was even more $$$ by the time I got a hitch and rack.

phip, I'll try and get some photos of it tonight. I wouldn't worry about somebody stealing the rack, it doesn't really come off without opening the rear hatch.
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyomingriviera wrote:
$270+shipping is pretty 'spensive for a bike rack, but it fits and looks really nice, holds the bikes secure, and gives easy access to the engine.

I bit the bullet last summer and threw down for the Fiamma, and have been really happy with it. I can also sneak some aluminum lawn chairs between the bikes for extra interior space.

I wanted to go the receiver hitch route, but it was even more $$$ by the time I got a hitch and rack.

phip, I'll try and get some photos of it tonight. I wouldn't worry about somebody stealing the rack, it doesn't really come off without opening the rear hatch.

Well worth the money, especially if you have expensive bikes. I use my camper for when i go to triathlons and other races so my race bikes go on it.

A VW team with a triathlon problem, or something like that....
locoqueso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently bought one from a vendor and found it was missing some parts. It was missing the pair of washers listed as "0 6x12" and a pair of rubber pads for the lower fixing brackets. I returned the bike rack and the factory sealed replacement was missing the exact same parts.

I contacted Fiamma in the USA and they're weren't any help and didn't want to follow up with Fiamma in Italy.

Did anyone else have missing parts?
harpua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny about the missing parts, my rack came from bus depot and was also missing two of the rubber pads. It came with two pads that I could use and a small amount of adhesive backed padding but not enough to fit over the remaining two clamps, so I just went to lowe's and got some adhesive backed foam pads which works fine.

About the paint scratch question, indeed there does seem to be the change for some light scratching of the paint under the contact pads just from vibration. I put some tape on the bus at the contact points and that avoids any scratching though.

I looked at the receiver hitch options. Very cool hitches, especially the front one, but if you mount a bike up there you block your headlights.....I can't see taking a long trip only to have some yokel cop decide to give you trouble about the blocked lights. Same with a rear mounted receiver rack; technically you aren't supposed to block the rear lights either so it could be trouble. The Fiamma is the only rack I found that keeps all lights clear. Biggest problem is it only holds two bikes so my kids bikes still have to go inside.
wyomingriviera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyomingriviera wrote:

As promised, here's some pics;

the rack:

engine door open:

top mounting:

bottom mounting:

I take back what I said about removal w/o opening the rear hatch, but it would take some time. Hope this helps...
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on my westy and love the thing. If I am not carrying bikes, I throw on what ever fits there. It is a kind of pain in the ass to remove if you do not know how to do it. I mean it is easy for me to put on remove, because I have done it a few times, but someone that does not know how it is on there might have trouble. I run a long lock around the bikes and then down to the tow mount on the rear bumper if I leave it where I am worried. I also carry a 2x4 to keep up the rear hatch when the rack is on there. It is heavy to lift with th ebikes on , but without the bikes, if it gets windy it will just fall and close. they rock. Well worth the money. very secure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
phip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud, the hatch is prone to slam shut with the rack on but no bikes in it? About how much does the rack weigh?
That seems like the biggest drawback I've heard so far.
(This thread has convinced me to go Fiamma rather than adding a hitch and getting a generic bike rack.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: