Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gear selection problems.
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wshawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Gear selection problems. Reply with quote

Another of the little problems on my to do list is to sort out the gear changes on my 412, fitted with a manual gearbox. It has the horrible habit of making first and second gear a sod to find at times if you don't get it lined up just right. (Do I need to point out that the gears are there and nice and smooth to find IF I line up their selection properly and there is no noise from the gearbox unless I find reverse instead of second then its GGGRRIIIIINDDDDDD?) Embarassed

In an attempt to resolve this I have reverted back to a stock set up on the gear stick after a PO fitted a quick shift thing. I did hope this would iron the problems of being able to move the gear stick to far over and accidentally finding reverse instead of second.

Needless to say it didn't.

I now suspect the problem lies with the bush at the front end of the gear selector rod that sits in the tunnel. My reasoning being, the front end of this rod, that the gear stick sits into, is free to move in all directions by at least a couple of millimeters which I suspect allows the gearstick to occasionally drop below the gate that normally prevents reverse being selected, unless you push down on the gear stick.

That said, if indeed this is the fault which I'm hoping someone can confirm for me, does anyone know how I would go about changing this bush?

I have had it said to me "the only way is to drop out the engine and gearbox" however am I correct in assuming that I could get enough clearance by disconnecting the rod at the rear of the car where it exits the tunnels and connects to another rod?

Any help would be appreciated.
bb412
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: gear sélection Reply with quote

shawn,,, first ,, blead your slave cilender ,,over the trans,, for to make sure you d,t have a cluth problem,,, afther adjust the 2 bolts on the shifter ,, you have ask the question beefore for what sense go the piece,, for that you put your car on the neutral,, and you screw this 2 bolts on the floor ,,afther you can look for an oder problem,,
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a 411/412 guy, but on all other Types the shifter can be slid around after loosening the two bolts. Moving it left or right may make the 1-2 shifts easier to find, and avoid the reverse problems. Too far and you get 3-4 problems, so find a good middle ground and tighten it up.
Wireless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering how you solved this as I've got the same problem here, I've tried relocating the gear stick using the two bolts, the clutch works fine, but finding second on the downshift can result in crunching.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has next to nothing to do with the gearshift....only a portion to do with the linkage and interchabge aft of the floor tunnel...and virtually everything to do with drivetrain alignment.

The factory had very specific spacer gauges and sequence to do the drive train alignment. I have been able to solve all shifting issues on every four speed type 4 I have worked with.

I will give an in detail in the am. I am working right now. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: