Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche 914-6 found, need opinions
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACtyp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Porsche 914-6 found, need opinions Reply with quote

I found a real 914-6 for sale locally. It's been off the road since 1990 and was stored covered outside. It has some rust, but no major rot areas that I could tell after a quick inspection. The owner wasn't home so I couldn't get any details. I assume that it doesn't run, but it is 95% complete. There was no price, but I assume that it's going to be cheap. What do these cars go for in "needs to be restored" condition? Also what are the problem areas to look for on these cars?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non runner with rust-$2000-5000 depending on how much rust..hell, its really expensive to fix rust even if you are doing the welding. Look at where the battery tray sits or did sit. How much solid metal is left? Is the rust into the supporting member below? Thats the long which supports the whole side of the unibody...look under the seats at the longs and the firewall for rust holes.. now look at the jackposts for rust....and then the petal cluster area...

How is the interior? trashed? seats ripped up? Dash??split to heck?

Now does it still have all the brake calipers?? The rear go for $1250 each restored...yeah really. The 901 tranny with the shifter rod is still there too?
Rear bumper??that is the early 6 bumper which finding another is hahaha.

If everything is there in decent shape its a $5000 restoration special...

Complete restored 914/6's are going for $16,000 to 45,000 now depending on how well they are done and complete
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ACtyp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to take a closer look and talk with the owner. I'll take some pictures and post them as well. The dash looked really nice, all the gauges are there, 66k on the odometer. The rest of the interior is pretty dirty but all there from what I could tell. The engine and trans are in it. I looked through the vent above the engine at the battery tray. The tray is a total loss, but the metal below it looks really good. The brake components are there and the car rolls. I could probably have it at least running in a couple of days. Both bumpers are there, but the rear is missing the top trim piece. The windshield is also broken.
retrotech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent, if interested respond to [email protected]
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry about the windshield!!! The carbs will need rebuild if they have sat for any lenthh of time.

Im not sure what a real 6 is going for now,, but i had a 2.2 webber, with heater boxes, and redrilled brakes and a very clean 4 interier. I Canadan chased me down on the freeway and offered 12k. The car is now a Canadan car!!

If its a real 6 there is a regestry you can look up the history of the car. How know it may be famous??

But if its real 6 and you have the time to do the restore, Id say 5k-7k would be a bargan. They are SUPER fun Very Happy
boxstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it!! Don't worry about the rust. If you get the car at a really good price and can sit on it for awhile, sort it out you could always sell it and I am sure you will make a profit. That is if you do not want to refurbish it yourself.

I recently found one on craigslist for $750. Lady thought it was a 6 conversion. It was a real six, after she received a deluge of emails and phone calls she decided to auction it off at her home. I ended up getting the real 6 for $3000.

Good luck.
CCL
ACtyp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally talked to the owner and unfortunately for me, he knows what it is. His asking price is $5,000. Honestly I didn't want the car, I was going to flip it if it was cheap to fund a bus project. Thanks for all the info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: