Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire wheel and suspension thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vcik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghialover your car looks great. How narrow is your front beam ?
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
That looks very good! I dig the deep dish look in the rear. One thing that I have a question about is about the different hub caps? It looks cool but why not all the same? Great car Very Happy

Thanks, Bloku! The reason is I cannot get a hub cap for 4-lug wheels that look same as those for 5-lug wheels. What I now have is actually stock for 4-lug bolt pattern with disc brakes and 5-lug bolt pattern with drum brakes up front and out rear, respectively.
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vcik wrote:
Ghialover your car looks great. How narrow is your front beam ?

Thanks, Vcik! It is a stock front beam with disc brakes from a VW Variant (Brazilian correspondent of the VW Squareback?) year 74 or 76, I do not remember exactly.

Handling and drivability improved a lot with these tiny front tires. I can now make turns lock to lock with any rubbing at all. And the 4.5 wheels work the magic for the narrow look, so I see no reason to narrow it further.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deed is already done but if you wanted 5 lug also in the front you could have ran a 4 to 5 lug conversion plate. Only problem with those is that they push out the rims about (i think) a 1/4" maybe causing you rubbing issues again Confused
1975 BMW 2002
1976 BMW 2002 (Bored and Stroked w/ 5-Speed)
1981 BMW E21
1986 Toyota 4Runner (Dead engine and trans)
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
The deed is already done but if you wanted 5 lug also in the front you could have ran a 4 to 5 lug conversion plate. Only problem with those is that they push out the rims about (i think) a 1/4" maybe causing you rubbing issues again Confused

Do you mean these?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yeah, I was aware of this possibility. Mine are about 15 mm thick (0.59 inch) and although I don't think they would have pushed out the rims enough to cause me rubbing issues, I decided not to use them. But I didn't throw them away -- for the case I someday get tired of the different hub caps Wink
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'63 GhiaLover wrote:
But I didn't throw them away -- for the case I someday get tired of the different hub caps Wink

I think it looks really good. Gives a different look to the front and back with out looking like it was thrown together with miss-matching rims! I am not sure about the rim style but have you considered some beauty rings? The can make a BIG difference on the over all look, but I am sure paint will look better! It is your car, dont let me tell you what to do Laughing
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '66 ghia had the same mismatched lug patterns and wheels (4 x 130 mm discs in front/5 x 205 mm drums in rear) when I bought it. I ended up converting the rear to 4 x 130 mm discs.
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
'63 GhiaLover wrote:
But I didn't throw them away -- for the case I someday get tired of the different hub caps Wink

I think it looks really good. Gives a different look to the front and back with out looking like it was thrown together with miss-matching rims! I am not sure about the rim style but have you considered some beauty rings? The can make a BIG difference on the over all look, but I am sure paint will look better! It is your car, dont let me tell you what to do Laughing

Bloku, no worries, and thanks again for the interest! Yes, I considered using beauty rings and totally agree with you they often tend to add to the picture. Even when used in combination with wheels painted in two colors the way want mine. One concern from my side is that, on the basis of some pics collected, it seems to me it may be difficult to get them perfectly installed. Maybe a matter of the beauty ring quality, not sure though. In this case they look odd to my eyes, as if they kind of were not a part of the set.

sactojesse wrote:
My '66 ghia had the same mismatched lug patterns and wheels (4 x 130 mm discs in front/5 x 205 mm drums in rear) when I bought it. I ended up converting the rear to 4 x 130 mm discs.

Thanks for the comment but unfortunately rear disc brakes are not in the plans for now Crying or Very sad and, as it couldn't be different a big thumbs up to your 2110cc power plant. I can bet it puts a smile on your face everytime time you take it for a ride Twisted Evil
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure where to put this question so i put it here to save the "forum police's time". Does anyone know a good forum to look at for my wants to make my ghia about 3" lower than stock but handle reallly well? Thanks
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
I am not sure where to put this question so i put it here to save the "forum police's time". Does anyone know a good forum to look at for my wants to make my ghia about 3" lower than stock but handle reallly well? Thanks

Ask Fiatdude...he has his set-up for racing: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=183409
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'63 GhiaLover wrote:
sactojesse wrote:

Thanks for the comment but unfortunately rear disc brakes are not in the plans for now Crying or Very sad and, as it couldn't be different a big thumbs up to your 2110cc power plant. I can bet it puts a smile on your face everytime time you take it for a ride Twisted Evil

Thanks! Hey, reading another thread, I was reminded that there are 4 x 130 mm drums for 1967 and earlier ghias with the short splines:

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aftermarket-brake-drum-rear-lug-pattern-4x130-p-13061

Yes, I know that you are in Brazil, but thought this might help your mis-matched lug pattern situation.
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have been doing some research with respect to portawalls recently. From what I read in these posts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6145133
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512957&view=previous
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5847355

I got a bit worried about:

1) As you may recall I am now running 155/60 smart car tires up front. Is there a way to get the portawalls properly installed (so they look correct) without shaving off the rim savers?

2) I also don't have much clearance in the rear, as the 205s fill in the wheel wells almost completely. At the moment I have no rubbing issues but I am afraid it may be tight for the portawalls to be fit without getting damaged. Any thoughts?

Below are some pics so you can see what I mean. Thanks in advance for your help.

Wishing you all a Happy Easter,
GhiaLover '63

63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
'63 GhiaLover wrote:
sactojesse wrote:

Thanks! Hey, reading another thread, I was reminded that there are 4 x 130 mm drums for 1967 and earlier ghias with the short splines:

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aftermarket-brake-drum-rear-lug-pattern-4x130-p-13061

Yes, I know that you are in Brazil, but thought this might help your mis-matched lug pattern situation.

I am (for now) fine with my mismatched lug pattern condition, but thanks anyway!
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no help on the Porto walls but those back wheels and tires look awesome on there. How many clicks down in the rear are you?
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motorhead364 wrote:
I'm no help on the Porto walls but those back wheels and tires look awesome on there.

No problem. And thanks Wink

motorhead364 wrote:
How many clicks down in the rear are you?

That's a good question... I need to ask the guy who lowered the car for me back in 2004. A related question, now of myself, is how many more clicks down do I need to even the rear end with the front end. I drop you a line as soon as I find these out.
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A related question, now of myself, is how many more clicks down do I need to even the rear end with the front end. I drop you a line as soon as I find these out.

You want to go even lower in the rear? Ghias tend to look pretty funny when the back is even with the front because of the low fender height in the rear. I feel a little bit of rake is good because you will also be saving your tires by not going any lower. Camber just loves to eat tire! Your ghia looks AWESOME with that height and wheel/tire. Truthfully, I would not change a thing!
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
Quote:
A related question, now of myself, is how many more clicks down do I need to even the rear end with the front end. I drop you a line as soon as I find these out.

You want to go even lower in the rear? Ghias tend to look pretty funny when the back is even with the front because of the low fender height in the rear. I feel a little bit of rake is good because you will also be saving your tires by not going any lower. Camber just loves to eat tire! Your ghia looks AWESOME with that height and wheel/tire. Truthfully, I would not change a thing!

Hey, Bloku, thanks man! Not to mention I already scratch my floor pans when coming in and out of my underground garage Shocked so maybe you're right... it all depends on me finding another trustworthy suspension guy, as mine lives about 3000 km away where I live now Crying or Very sad
Bloku
Expert Noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3000km! where does he live? fortaleza? It is nice to know that you put your ghia in a safe place too Smile
1975 BMW 2002
1981 BMW E21
1989 Toyota 4x4 PU
1994 BMW E36 (Daily)
63 GhiaLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloku wrote:
3000km! where does he live? fortaleza? It is nice to know that you put your ghia in a safe place too Smile

In my home city, Recife. In fact he is not an ordinary suspension guy but also a good friend of mine. I owe him the ticket to the VW world because I went out that sunny afternoon in July 2004 to buy a rusty '75 Dodge Magnum (with 3 out of 8 cylinders dead...) and got back home driving my '63 Ghia Very Happy
RichElliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyrotten wrote:
64 Ghia

Front-cb performance 2.5" dropped spindles and 135's, stock beam
Rear-all stock (sagging torsions just from age)

Wheels-Flat-4 5 spoke sprint star repops

Love the tire/wheel & paint color combo. Looks great!
1969 Yellow Ghia (aka Mr. Rusty)
1972 Yellow Ghia
LocalCred
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 30

Jump to: