Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GEX engine ?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

hello, i've had three GEX engines go bad within days or months because of internal problems, i now am asking for a refund, but i seem to be getting nowhere, will i ever see my money again? have any of you ever had this experience, or know anyone there that i can deal with? Help!!!!
thanks

Moderator note:
This thread has been locked in favor of this longer GEX thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=92079
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

check archives on gex motors I lucked into one in a parts car that had 500 miles on it I have only logged about that on it and although it leaks non stop from somewhere I have replaced push rod tubes all rear main oil cooler seals 3 different drain plates and we will see what happens I would not invest much in the quality of there product nor would I pay real money by the way I paid 50 bucks for the parts car and sold at least 300.00 worth of other stuff of it so it was beyond free out of pocket as for time invested I am at a deficit as far as for your refund there will likely be some slippery language in there warranty that will place you at fault I however have had no experience with them they have since at least 95 been known as a so so low quality builder personally I have relative success with mine I only use it as a spare motor to jockey cars around while under construction wouldnt put it to the road trip test just yet if you paid with a credit card there is the option to dispute the charge or amex has buyer protection it might be worth it if this is how you paid got back at rocky mountain motorworks for not warrantying shitty rubber this way had no luck dealing with them for the record hope that helps definitly check archives
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

I've heard of one person beating them and getting their $ back, a mechanic tore the engine down and put it down on paper all that was wrong with it, and he was kind enough to call himself when the folks on the phone got to technical to try and bs the owner. seems like he said the case halves didn't even match.
Bingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

I've not heard very good reports about them in UK....

Bingo.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

What size engine did you buy? How long ago?
Was it a new or use case? I recently purchased a 1776 and would like to know if I am in for the same problems
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

If GEX knows what's good for them, they'll refund your money muy pronto, and come on this site and explain what they are doing to improve quality control. Otherwise, TheSambaddicts will spread the word!
Come on GEX, step up!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey-bugnaked.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

My buddy got a GEX engine about 6 years ago, the case was linebored 80 over and the bearings were too small. The crank was just flopping around, it lasted about 500 miles. He fought with them for about 2 years then gave up. Hasent seen a penny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SHTUBBY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

gtrieb, either you or your mechanic should tear-down the engine, and find the problem. make sure you document everything you find wrong inside. take pictures!!!!! GEX has moved to Arkansas, and set up a new shop there. if you have enough documentation, you might beat them. LOL Steve
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

A fellow LiMBO (Late Model Bus Org.) member bought a GEX engine a few years back for his air-cooled Vanagon. It croaked very shortly after installation. He did get them to send a replacement motor but still had to eat some shipping and installation costs. I've never heard anything good about their engines.
-Stan
ice baller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

There is a GEX store here where I live, Its in Baldwinpark, I went to the store and it apears nothing but imagrents work there(no offense to any 1) They are just trained monkeys, they just put the engines toghter with out measureing for out of round, Luckly I decided not to buy an engine form them, but the bug I bought had a GEX engine and hasnt broken down yet(knoking on wood)I guess its 1 of those "lucky engines"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Where is a good place to get an engine from? Anyone have any good experiences with anywhere? Just curious.
nik
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Build it yourself, no one will do it better.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

i just tore apart a very big-buck gex engine for a friend. 92mm p/c, solid rocker shafts, hydraulic cam and lifters, huge oil pump & oil pressure booster kit, big dellorto carb, gex "041" heads. look up the prices for all this stuff on their site.
anyway, they had to machine the case for the lifters. they used chevy hydraulic lifters which are bigger than the original vw lifters, essentially ruining the case for any future build up using anything other than chevy lifters. too bad, it is a case that is at standard bore.
the engine wouldn't run right, poor idle, low power, blew oil, etc. tore it apart and here's what i found (and remember this engine had less than 4K on it): cylinders severely scored, piston rings frozen in their grooves, pistons severely scored, cam severely damaged on the front 2 lobes because the LIFTERS WENT FLAT and lost all hydraulic pressure. i tried all the ways i know to try to get them to pump up (out of the case) and they are junk. so i think that was a poor engine.
i have had a gex engine in the past and i did drive it all over the place and put many many miles on it. a few years after i got it, my friend bought the bus it was in from me, and he only got a few thousand on it. upon tearing it down, the case was cracked where the #2 main bearing seats on the case, causing a loss of oil pressure and eventual failure.
i have used GEX in the past with very mixed results. i personally would NOT recommend them again. if i were you, [email protected], i would find a reputable shop who hand builds them, or i would build my own.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Gene Berg makes a pretty strong engine, but I agree that the homebuilt engines are the best, If you are doing a rebuild, I'd start from scratch and buy a new case, unline bored and get brand new main bearings! I've had good results.
joey-bugnaked.com
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Don't go for the cheapest. You'll pay in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Check out Bob Donalds, Boston Engine
508-653-7229 www.bostonengine.com
he is really good, I've known Bob 10+ years, he is really into the vw engine scene,and as far as I know he has a good rep.
Tom in Vt.
NorCalNick
Ain't yo baby daddy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

if da foolz dont wanna refund my money if i waz stooopid enough to get one from them , id have to git my 9 milly and show them wut da dilly!!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!1

you git wut yooz pay foe!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

Geez, guys - thanks for all the replies - i thought i was all alone - ok, heres the complete story:
for my 71 bus i bought a 1776 performance longblock, added a new head option, i bought a vanagon 2.0 from them for a 79 bus i had before and it ran fine so i said what the hey, right, anyway the first one got about a mile down the road and suddenly exploded, oil spewing out everywhere, etc. i immediately thought what did i do wrong?!!! - sent it to a local vw mechanic who told me obviously, its locked up and full of metal debris - sent it back to gex, they said there was some debris left in the case after build, so warranty sent me a new one, installed it myself again got about 300 miles for first checkup - oil was full of small metal fragments (besides the fact that it ran like absolute crap, wouldn't idle, irratic vacuum pressure, etc. from day one) - sent this one back, same thing internal problems, the sent me another, had this one installed by earlier vw mechanic because they (GEX) said that they would pick up the labor - same problems running as before, but this one lasted longer, about 2000 miles and several lobes on the cam went flat, so i sent it back and said, forget it i want my money back, so about nine months from my initial day of purchase, here i am, out the money, and my mechanic still has not been paid, where do i go from here?
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

oh, also i took the engine that came out of the old bus i had - thought it was bad - bought it that way - tore it apart and it looks great except for #1, replaced #1 cyl, piston and head, runs very nice and smooth, for around $300.

i thought gene berg didn't make bus motors,

& in the future i will always spend the extra money, find a reputable local mechanic w/ experience and have one built locally with a new case, counterbalance, the works - do it right the first time!
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: GEX engine ? Reply with quote

i sure hope they hear you j.pickens! they sure lost my business and stand to lose a whole lot more!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: