Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clock repair
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol at this thread. So much drama over some clocks.

I remember when I was 13 or 14 and got given a 73 aussie SB and noticing the clock didn't work. I opened it (aussie clock are different) which required popping the bezel off. I remember straight away i said as soon as i saw the insides "aw yeah there is a blown fuse and these gears need a clean"

it was so blatantly obvious Laughing after 15 min the clock was working again. There was no such thing as the internet in 2002 where I live.
turbomicrowaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I soldered it back together and the clock still doesn't work. What did I go wrong?

"There are no pieces"

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Square One
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, how do you get the damned thing out of the dash?
Traversing the spaghetti bowl of wires and gear behind my '71 SB's dash is practically impossible.
Any tips?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square One wrote:
Traversing the spaghetti bowl of wires and gear behind my '71 SB's dash is practically impossible.
Any tips?

Remove the left side flimsy fresh air hose. It sits right under the clock. Just pull it off the air box and the left-center lower dash vent. No clamps.

Then reach up and pinch the two prongs at 3 and 9 o'clock, and press the clock forward into the dash. This will let you pinch the tabs inward (together), allowing the clock to then be withdrawn towards you. When it gets out, unplug the wires after noting what goes where. Do NOT short the power wire to the dash while you do this!

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Square One
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I'll give that a try. Thanks, KT!
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the back of the clock. The prongs are visible; pinch at the serrated ends near the face of the clock, NOT the parts that protrude from the body (at top in this view).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Square One
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I actually got it to work! And it's keeping perfect time, too!

After soldering back the thermo-fuse, it still wouldn't work.

I sat and stared at it in a lotus position, through a magnifying glass, for some time, and after ascertaining the working order of each gear, the answer (and the meaning of life) were revealed.

I shortened the spring that moves the doohickey that connects to the electric points. It took two tries at shortening/strengthening that spring, but, Holy Cow, it works!

I ran upstairs and woke up my wife (it was 2:30 am by the time I finished), and reported the good news to her.

She wasn't very impressed . . .

'71 Squareback FI "Irving"
'74 Super Beetle A/S "Mr. Buggy" (named by my 16 yr old daughter when it was hers)
'77 SB Convertible (oops . . . sold!)
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square One wrote:
Damn, I actually got it to work! And it's keeping perfect time, too!

After soldering back the thermo-fuse, it still wouldn't work.

I sat and stared at it in a lotus position, through a magnifying glass, for some time, and after ascertaining the working order of each gear, the answer (and the meaning of life) were revealed.

I shortened the spring that moves the doohickey that connects to the electric points. It took two tries at shortening/strengthening that spring, but, Holy Cow, it works!

I ran upstairs and woke up my wife (it was 2:30 am by the time I finished), and reported the good news to her.

She wasn't very impressed . . .

What you didn't run outside and proclaim your success at the top of your lungs? Wink

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's alive! ALIVE!!

Plus, wives are never impressed with all we do in the garage (with the exception of a few...). I honed the inside of my AAR valve so it opens and closes smoothly. I brought it in and showed my wife. After explaining what I did and what it does, I realized that all she heard was "blah-blah blah, blah-blah, blah, and blah".
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woreign wrote:
Plus, wives are never impressed with all we do in the garage (with the exception of a few...). I honed the inside of my AAR valve so it opens and closes smoothly. I brought it in and showed my wife. After explaining what I did and what it does, I realized that all she heard was "blah-blah blah, blah-blah, blah, and blah".

I got lucky with this one. She knows how to get dirty and likes wrenching.

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone worked on a Clock from a 67? Reason I ask is that the fuse area looks a little different than the others seen on this thread. For example,

I believe from a late model...(from a post earlier in this thread)

from my square (sorry for the bit of blur)

from a 70s fasty (again, sorry for the blur but I can see the break in the line

The 67 piece doesn't look anything like the later. Should anyone have a pic of what a functional 67 clock looks like, please post. Appreciate it.

regards
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
sherpa7200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the mechanical-type clock (the one that 'rewinds' every minute or so). The thermo-fuse is fine, but my clock runs intermittently. Meaning that if I put power to it it will initially rewind, but inevitably (usually after a couple of hours) it just stops rewinding. I've tried blowing the gears clean, but haven't yet applied any lubricant. Beyond that, does anyone have any suggestions/hints?
Muulch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Square One wrote:
Any tips?

Remove the left side flimsy fresh air hose. It sits right under the clock. Just pull it off the air box and the left-center lower dash vent. No clamps.

Then reach up and pinch the two prongs at 3 and 9 o'clock, and press the clock forward into the dash. This will let you pinch the tabs inward (together), allowing the clock to then be withdrawn towards you. When it gets out, unplug the wires after noting what goes where. Do NOT short the power wire to the dash while you do this!

I'm gonna revive this thread-- I tried removing my clock with this walkthrough and it still isn't budging. Can someone possibly go even more in-depth? A pic or two wouldn't hurt. I really just want to get the clock out of the car so I can fix it without breaking it
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muulch wrote:
KTPhil wrote:
Square One wrote:
Any tips?

I'm gonna revive this thread-- I tried removing my clock with this walkthrough and it still isn't budging. Can someone possibly go even more in-depth? A pic or two wouldn't hurt. I really just want to get the clock out of the car so I can fix it without breaking it

You might have to push the front (face) of the clock in a little, before squeezing the side tabs. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Esteddom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do NOT short the power wire to the dash while you do this!"

Should have read this better before attempting this. I did short the power wire and now I have no clock and no light either. I checked all the fuses and they're fine, other dash lights are working fine too. Any thoughts on what to do here? On a plus side I did get the stock sapphire radio working and the drivers side dome light.

Thanks in advance!
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you reconnect the clock ground wire?
Esteddom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I reconnected all the wires and nothing unfortunately. Will double check with a voltmeter and report back.
Square One
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year after I revived my mechanical clock from it's almost 40 year hibernation, it began to run wonky. It would slow up and then speed up then stop and startup again.

I got tired of all this foolishness, admitted to myself that I was not, nor ever would be a watchmaker, and decided to convert it to a battery movement. There are several excellent posts on this forum containing pictures with circles and arrows that will tell you how to do that. Take your time (pun intended), and try not to act too impetuously (always a problem for me).

The result is a perfectly working clock. It has kept perfect time for some two years now. I just readjusted it over to daylight savings time the other day, and it continues to chug along happily.

Best of all, no one knows that it's been converted, except me . . . and the um-teen thousands that read this forum.

'71 Squareback FI "Irving"
'74 Super Beetle A/S "Mr. Buggy" (named by my 16 yr old daughter when it was hers)
'77 SB Convertible (oops . . . sold!)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Square One wrote:
About a year after I revived my mechanical clock from it's almost 40 year hibernation, it began to run wonky. It would slow up and then speed up then stop and startup again.

I got tired of all this foolishness, admitted to myself that I was not, nor ever would be a watchmaker, and decided to convert it to a battery movement. There are several excellent posts on this forum containing pictures with circles and arrows that will tell you how to do that. Take your time (pun intended), and try not to act too impetuously (always a problem for me).

The result is a perfectly working clock. It has kept perfect time for some two years now. I just readjusted it over to daylight savings time the other day, and it continues to chug along happily.

Best of all, no one knows that it's been converted, except me . . . and the um-teen thousands that read this forum.

If you go back a page, you'll see I did that conversion back in 2008. Still have the same clock in the car, and it still keeps great accurate time. I do however need to "re-set" it back to eastern time, as it's an hour ahead right now. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
shakadon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this type 3 was leaking a lot of water so I decided to pull the dash, the guages, everything to do it right. I pulled of the back of the clock cover and rust was everwywhere. I cleaned it all up, got it running manually, soldered the "fuse" but no luck.

Looking closer at the pictures, it looks like there are supposed to be points that touch with the winder. Mine does not have them, it just looks like a pointer coming off the body of the clock. Also how does that solinoid work? I dont see anyway for it to wind back the winder? When I apply power and ground to the solidoid it just vibrates, I dont see any way for it to push out?

Am I missing something?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: