Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Third brake light
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
conceptzrqt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear.

We have some of those as well. We buy, sell and make LED products for motorcycles. We have a ton of one off, abnormal or just wierd stuff. We even have a Batman symbol in LEDs about 8"long. Made it for a customer and they never picked it up.

Mine is a daily driver...I do mean daily. I drove it all winter last year. I have pics to prove it, some place (hehe) . . .6" of snow and there I go.

Like I said I have a light film of tint on all my windows and when I hit the brakes it was all red. It did not stay up long. I deal with a mold company from time to time, I tought about making a rear window mold and have a part made from stiff rubber so it sends all of the light out the rear window instead inside.
I still might look at that. Problem is molding/production cost vs sellable cost. It might take a hundreds upon hundreds of them to break even.

Thanks.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/conceptzrqt

http://community.webshots.com/user/conceptzrqt

http://www.youtube.com/user/CONCEPTZRQT
ghia4mea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one of those 48 LED lights at the upper center of the rear window. I used super magnets and small home made metal brackets to mount it and the magnets to the inside metal window trim. To reduce window reflections at night I covered the lower red plastic of the light with a strip of black electrical tape. The result is perfectly acceptable to me for night driving.
I also installed an LED light behind the engine vent opening. Both lights are powered by a homemade circuit that rapidly blinks the 2 third brake lights 4 times then they stay on continuously as long as the brake petal is depressed.

In my opinion, one thing that I find of concern in these cars is:
The brake light switch/s need time to build pressure before the brake lights actually turn on.
I added a spring loaded electrical switch in parallel with the normal brake switches. This added switch is mounted in the brake pedal area. It is activated when the brake pedal is depressed 1/8 of an inch. In my opinion this gives the drivers behind you the maximum warning time that you are stopping.
Just my 2 cents. Whatever we can do to stop getting rear ended is a plus.

Last edited by ghia4mea on Wed May 26, 2010 6:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Greezy Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Dang, now I have another project to do. Wink
Good ideas here.
12 Jeep Wrangler
73 Harley FLH 93 cid
89 Harley 883 Sportster (1200)

Owned before: 58, 69 Ghia Coupes, 64 Canvas Sunroof, 68, 72, 73, & 74 Bugs, 63 Single Cab, 65 Bus, 66 & 70 Camper
" Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it'll muffle the sound".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayandraka wrote:
You've got me wondering now whether the Hella lights a PO put on mine are high enough. I'm not even sure they were intended as brake lights, as they are currently inop and I haven't been able to trace the wire beyond the deck lid so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My wife had a 1970 KG coupe some 30 years ago and always wanted another (it was destroyed by a Monte Carlo tail-ending her at a red light and putting the engine in the back seat). This is going to be her fun car once I get it in top shape and through inspection. I'm understandably sensitive about the brake-lights standing out. I might consider adding a light bar inside the air vents like iradi's is too. Inside the rear window won't work for me if the top is down.

Nothing against you, but those two lights the PO installed on that Ghia look like ass. Then again, that's my opinion, and we all know that opinions are like assholes; your mileage may vary; offer void in Rhode Island, etc etc etc.
rayandraka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say? They are there, and I'm not inclined to spend money to get a new deck lid and paint to match just to get rid of the lights.
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayandraka wrote:
What can I say? They are there, and I'm not inclined to spend money to get a new deck lid and paint to match just to get rid of the lights.

I wouldn't worry about it.
It would take a lot more than removing those lights
to get your Ghia back to a stock look.
Consider it a mild custom and roll with it.
One thing for sure, doubtful there's another Ghia out
there exactly like yours. Cool

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayandraka wrote:
Bah, you wouldn't need a new decklid. More than anything, it speaks volumes about previous owners and their "improvements".
iradi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
conceptzrqt wrote:

Does it reflect off of your rear window any?

I've driven it at night a few times, it's not enough glare to bother me. It is noticeable in the mirror, but I'm usually looking ahead of me.... Smile

I think it's this one, 48 LED's, which is $8.99 inc/SH. The sucker's bright- easily throws a beam 30 feet across a garage and illuminated the opposite wall when you're playing around with it out of the box. Listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-LED-Car-Red-Thir...ccessories

I mounted it to the inside window trim.

This is what I do it on my car, easy to install, very bright, good quality and looks nice. The only thing is to wait is to wait 15 days to have it.

The chinesse guy how sell this unit must give a donation to Samba because he will start to receive a lot of orders. ( For this price $ 8.99 S&H included ) I ordered 2 to have one in back up.

Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iradi wrote:

This is what I do it on my car, easy to install, very bright, good quality and looks nice. The only thing is to wait is to wait 15 days to have it.

I can't put mine there because of carb clearance. I had to remove my rain tray so the 32NDIX would fit and there is no room....
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldguysrule wrote:
This one is my favorite location:

I like this. Is it effective, functional?
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes to both.
CLKWRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the LED bar light in the decklid along with diodes connected to the turn signal lights to light up every red taillight when the brakes pedal is pressed.
This cancels out any rear turn signals that are flashing when the brakes are pressed, they resume after the brakes are released.

This modification only really works on american tail lights that have red turn signals
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=134056
Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/vantageaircooled/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
igne82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: 69 3rd brake light Reply with quote

Added an LED bar to the over rider bar. For those who say it's too low, this thing is very bright. If it didn't catch your attention even during the day you must of had your eyes closed while driving. I'm adding a flasher to it later for added eye grabbyness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are people affixing the LED light bar to the rain tray location? I first mounted with the adhesive squares that came with it and it fell off after a couple days. Next mounted with 3m squares and it again fell off (separated between 3m square and original bar adhesive). Thought I'd clean everything up real good and try the 3m squares again but wonder if others have a better solution.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
How are people affixing the LED light bar to the rain tray location? I first mounted with the adhesive squares that came with it and it fell off after a couple days. Next mounted with 3m squares and it again fell off (separated between 3m square and original bar adhesive). Thought I'd clean everything up real good and try the 3m squares again but wonder if others have a better solution.

Just realizing we never posted pictures of ours... Well, we put it in late in the day - maybe we didn't take pictures... And car is in now for an engine rebuild, so difficult to take pic's now... We have a 73, probably similar rain-tray arrangement to your Ghia.

We attached 2 LED strips to a piece of rubber weatherstripping, using the adhesive that came with the LED strips. We didn't want adhesives attached directly to the car, we just used existing screw-holes, and we didn't want to make a structure that would trap moisture... (This also meant we didn't have to attach adhesives to presumably-greasy surfaces. Just clean surfaces directly from a manufacturer.) The weatherstripping was 1 inch or maybe 1.5 inch rubber weatherstripping - what you can get from Home Depot, that goes around a drafty door in the NorthEast... It flexed in the curve of the lid, so it faced more-or-less straight back from under the grill on the top side.

We punched holes in the weatherstripping where the 3 upper screws go in, that attach the rain tray to the front-side of the lid. Used machine screws & nuts in the existing holes, rubberized washers to take up the slack. Then wires to an existing brake light.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice way to mount E&M.
I just used the 3M tape that came on the light strip. Almost 2 years now and no problems. Works first time, every time. You need to clean off ALL grease/oil/dirt if you expect it to stick.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 140 wrote:
Yes to both.

And I've had one now for about 2.5 years.
Don't think I have a pic - well I might, but I am not going to find it right now, but it looks just like the one on the silver Ghia above.
L-O-V-E having it ! !
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Not sure I completely follow the E&M method but first will try the 3M adhesive square method once more (after making sure all is very clean.)
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DerekR wrote:
This one is my favorite location:

this i like... it appears to be in the sight line of the driver behind you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Not sure I completely follow the E&M method but first will try the 3M adhesive square method once more (after making sure all is very clean.)

Doing the spring clean-up, thought illustrating the method would be useful to others - this basically makes the 3rd brake light a "separable" task without too many contingencies on clean surfaces, etc. We attached the lights to some vinyl weatherstripping, and then attached that to the upper screw positions in the rain tray. Basic idea:

Looks like this from back (lights off):

(Please excuse poor phone pic colors)

And then, what it looks like in real life:

(Again, excuse phone pic... We also later found out that tail-lights & brake-lights were reversed in harness wires, but you get the idea...)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: