Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
empi shifter / Bugpack
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Print View
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wheelsmc4
Samba Member


Joined: April 15, 2008
Posts: 169
Location: S Fla.
wheelsmc4 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

Whats the skinny on aftermarket shifters
are buckpack garbage and what about empi
do these shifters do anything besides improve the stock look
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member


Joined: October 15, 2002
Posts: 2967

Air-Cooled Head is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

wheelsmc4 wrote:
Whats the skinny on aftermarket shifters
are buckpack garbage and what about empi
do these shifters do anything besides improve the stock look


EMPI is Chinese for SHIT.

Yeah, they'll give you a lot of practice on changing/repairing shifters.
_________________
Everything known to man has been written.
Readers are Leaders!

vujade wrote:
Being a purist is so played out Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2004
Posts: 1486
Location: New England
2002sportside is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Mistake Passes Inspection. You have to spend a little money to get a decent shifter. Aftermarkets shorten the throws in addition to looks.

General consensus is the Berg is best (pricey). A genuine Hurst (no longer in production, eBay or classifieds) and the Scat are a couple of other choices. Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074

I have a Scat in my car but have been unable to stop it from grinding second. I will probably go back to stock with a short shift kit.
_________________
1973 Volkswagen Beetle project
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomrobson
Samba Member


Joined: June 01, 2007
Posts: 225
Location: Greenville SC
thomrobson is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
EMPI is Chinese for SHIT.


x2
I have an EMPI shifter and it took a good bit of grinding and a great deal of sweat and cursing to get it to work right. Plus it rattles with the little bit of vibration from the tranny. Spend the money if you can afford a Berg shifter.
_________________
Changing the world one bug at a time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Bugorsh
Samba Member


Joined: May 28, 2004
Posts: 1358
Location: SoCal
Bugorsh is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSP also makes a shifter. I have not used one, however their other products are really good so I would think their shifters are too. Berg shifters are great, I just wish they made the tee handles more comfortable to use.
_________________
In pursuit of superior handling!
SuperBeetlesOnly.com
VeeDub Parts Unlimited
Topline Parts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2004
Posts: 1486
Location: New England
2002sportside is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was searching this topic a couple weeks ago I couldn't find much on the CSP shifter. Those that have them seem to like them though.

I like the look of the Flat 4 shifter, but the later reviews haven't been as good as the early ones. Anyone using one?
_________________
1973 Volkswagen Beetle project
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowymonkey
Samba Member


Joined: December 09, 2007
Posts: 586
Location: Florida
snowymonkey is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bugpack shifter in for a few years with no problems. I had a shop install it, so I don't know if any modification was required.
_________________
"The music moves me, but it moves me ugly"
- Nikoli Lee
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member


Joined: February 19, 2008
Posts: 2217
Location: Left of everywhere
dirtkeeper is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have berg in my bug and it is certainly da kind . i put a bugpack in my ghia and it still needs some work to get it adjusted right but i think i can get there. any way it is better than stock
scale 1 to 10 the berg gets a 10, bugpack a 5 plus and the stock would be about a strong 3.... other words i would say it is an improvement
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2004
Posts: 1486
Location: New England
2002sportside is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:

scale 1 to 10 the berg gets a 10, bugpack a 5 plus and the stock would be about a strong 3.... other words i would say it is an improvement

Is that a completely stock shifter? Sounds like a stocker with a $5 short shift kit would beat the Bugpack in everything except looks. There is a lot less effort getting a stock shifter to line up properly compared to most of the cheaper aftermarkets.

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason these shifters are under $50...
_________________
1973 Volkswagen Beetle project
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member


Joined: September 27, 2004
Posts: 6689
Location: Chickengeorge's Neighbor
69 Jim is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: empi shifter / Bugpack Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
wheelsmc4 wrote:
Whats the skinny on aftermarket shifters
are buckpack garbage and what about empi
do these shifters do anything besides improve the stock look


EMPI is Chinese for SHIT.

.



Laughing Laughing Laughing

Berg baby, Berg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notsofastEddie
Samba Member


Joined: February 27, 2008
Posts: 286
Location: Free Home, Georgia
notsofastEddie is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I'm lucky. I spent $54 for the trigger Empi, I'm not a big fan of the T-handle. Dropped it in in about 5 minutes, no problems at all. Love the way the big ball feels Shocked Don't read anymore into that than it says! Very Happy Nice crisp short shifts, which is why I bought it.
_________________
'72 super baja
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mokkan
Samba Member


Joined: November 26, 2007
Posts: 249
Location: Washougal, WA
Mokkan is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002sportside wrote:
Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074


Interesting! I bought a Scat shifter from ACN, but I never installed it, because I didn't really like it when it arrived. But that new one you linked there looks pretty shiny. I think I'll check it out, thanks for posting!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member


Joined: May 23, 2007
Posts: 961

pupjoint is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokkan wrote:
2002sportside wrote:
Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074


Interesting! I bought a Scat shifter from ACN, but I never installed it, because I didn't really like it when it arrived. But that new one you linked there looks pretty shiny. I think I'll check it out, thanks for posting!


funy i dint know ACN sells Scat shifters...i think they dint sell them last time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
wheelsmc4
Samba Member


Joined: April 15, 2008
Posts: 169
Location: S Fla.
wheelsmc4 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stay with the stock one for now thanks for all the info and keeping me from wasting $$$$$
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member


Joined: February 19, 2008
Posts: 2217
Location: Left of everywhere
dirtkeeper is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002sportside wrote:
dirtkeeper wrote:

scale 1 to 10 the berg gets a 10, bugpack a 5 plus and the stock would be about a strong 3.... other words i would say it is an improvement

Is that a completely stock shifter? Sounds like a stocker with a $5 short shift kit would beat the Bugpack in everything except looks. There is a lot less effort getting a stock shifter to line up properly compared to most of the cheaper aftermarkets.

Remember, you get what you pay for. There is a reason these shifters are under $50...


a short shift kit does improve the stock to maybe a 4 Wink but looks, feel and shifting are slightly improved with the bug pack IMO. for a regularly driven vw i say save up for the berG. as far as improvements to spend money on this would be at the top of the list cause think about it.... shifting is one of the most used functions in the driving experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankc72
Samba Member


Joined: July 01, 2007
Posts: 58

blankc72 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CSP T handle shifter in my Bug and love it. It gives a nice solid, crisp gear change. The shifter was expensive but is well made.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2002sportside
Samba Member


Joined: January 27, 2004
Posts: 1486
Location: New England
2002sportside is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
Mokkan wrote:
2002sportside wrote:
Aircooled.net is advertising a new shifter too. I haven't heard read any reviews on it but John doesn't sell junk.

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewproductdetail.php?keyword2=CFS0017&cartid=0612200885302074


Interesting! I bought a Scat shifter from ACN, but I never installed it, because I didn't really like it when it arrived. But that new one you linked there looks pretty shiny. I think I'll check it out, thanks for posting!


funy i dint know ACN sells Scat shifters...i think they dint sell them last time

From John's tech article dated Dec '05...

"Custom Shifter: 20 minutes. Be very careful when choosing a custom shifter - most are junk! Plan on spending $100 for a good one; Currently, the only shifters we recommend besides the stock shifter (with or without a quick shift) are the Scat Shifters (which we carry) and the Gene Berg shifters (these you can get one at Geneberg.com). The ORIGINAL Hurst shifters are also excellent, but they haven't been made in over 20 years, so used is the way to find these (swapmeets and Ebay)."

So they have sold them since at least then. They still list them on their site. But I have been reading of some problems with the Scat lately... I didn't have much luck with the one I have now either...
_________________
1973 Volkswagen Beetle project
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1971BugGuy
Samba Member


Joined: October 16, 2004
Posts: 414
Location: Ontario, CANADA
1971BugGuy is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

I currently run a genuine Hurst trigger shifter in my '71 Super Beetle and love the way it operates... tight and smooth. I have, however, used the much hated Empi trigger shifters in the past including one in the very same '71 Super. I have to say that I'm not a hater! I really liked the operation of the Empi's and the only reason I switched to a genuine Hurst is because I got it given to me. Overall they operate the same and have never had difficulty with breakage. That being said... I drive my Bug... I don't race it. If you're not racing your car your Empi should last you well. Besides... you could buy five or six Empi's for the price of a Berg. just a little food for thought!
_________________
Only a fool or a child would judge a project before it reaches its completion.


1971 Super Beetle
1986 Vanagon Westfalia Weekender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member


Joined: June 20, 2005
Posts: 2463

towd is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you guys really thinking Empi, bugpack and scat don't all come off the same Boat. ????? welp surprise...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010


Joined: December 25, 2001
Posts: 59565
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Glenn is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

1971BugGuy wrote:
Besides... you could buy five or six Empi's for the price of a Berg. just a little food for thought!

True, but when the rivets rip off and you're 100 miles from home, the last thing you want to do is pull out your spare EMPI shifter and install it on the side of the road.

My original Hurst was used for 20 years and still has plenty of life left in it.
_________________
Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

iride4sue.org

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2014, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB