Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

empi shifter / Bugpack
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done.... due to personal BS.

Here's the facts:
After 22 years and 300,000 miles of use my real Husrt is as good as new.
After 10 years and 150,000 miles of use my Berg is as good as new.

Too many EMPI shifters have broken well before those milestones.

In case you missed it in my signature:
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I see the rivets popping off on are Bug Packs,,,

Breg has them all beat the price reflects just that, not many can will go that high ..

Depending on which Scat your buy yes some are made here ...put this way,, you buy low china,, buy hi maybe made here

I love the made in America,,, or I only buy US products,, I drive a chevy,, There hasn't been a chevy production engine block made in this country in over 30 years,,
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johneliot wrote:
I paid $90 for my Hurst and I love it. Check the classifieds. You can always find one for $90 - $100. Well worth the money.

Hey didn't I sell you that shifter! Glad to hear you like it.

I picked up another Hurst for my super beetle, I'd have a hurst over a berg, i dont like T handles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the thread went south when you moved the judging from the quality and cost of parts to judging ME personally. Really, what is your problem that you are hating me because I am open to the fact that EMPI shifters may be just as good for functionality as your overpriced berg. You are simply being close minded and kinda a jerk. Read the forum, you are the one who wanted it to become personal.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:
Then it's the fact that I dont have money? it doesnt seem fair for a group of people who own cars that were made for poor people to say someone sucks because they can's spend as much on a shifter? Man, lots of people on here said they were perfectly happy with EMPI shifters, and you say I suck because I disagree? I spend time helping other bug owners try to fix their own cars so someday they can help someone else down the line. That is what VW is about, not about some douche named berg who sold parts that cost 10x more, and the name berg on a part of your car giving you the right to judge other people. I dont know about you, but my car has a more important name on it, that name is VW, vw stands for family and friends to me. So go ahead, say I suck. I do, but under your parameters of someone who sucks, so do most people on here. Then leads me to the question, why are you on a forum, that contains mostly people who you think suck?

The judging started with you saying that it is insane to pay for quality.

Gene Berg wasn't a douche.

Don't flatter yourself by speaking for the people, we don't care what you think. It was a nice thread while it lasted.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 25 year old berg is much better than the bugpack i recently put in my ghia but the bugpack was still a good improvement from stock

I dont really give a crap about the name i like the berg cause it gives me very short smooth precise shifts all the time .. kind of like a modern car. I think it would be an advantage in racing and i think it provides a much nicer driving experience. Certainly a stock can do the job fine.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then it's the fact that I dont have money? it doesnt seem fair for a group of people who own cars that were made for poor people to say someone sucks because they can's spend as much on a shifter? Man, lots of people on here said they were perfectly happy with EMPI shifters, and you say I suck because I disagree? I spend time helping other bug owners try to fix their own cars so someday they can help someone else down the line. That is what VW is about, not about some douche named berg who sold parts that cost 10x more, and the name berg on a part of your car giving you the right to judge other people. I dont know about you, but my car has a more important name on it, that name is VW, vw stands for family and friends to me. So go ahead, say I suck. I do, but under your parameters of someone who sucks, so do most people on here. Then leads me to the question, why are you on a forum, that contains mostly people who you think suck?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:
Congratulations, you are able to say "I have a berg and you suck"

and I say, I have a stock one, soo... that makes me suck?

It's not the shifter.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you are able to say "I have a berg and you suck"

and I say, I have a stock one, soo... that makes me suck?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
fastinradford wrote:
But really, with the amount of manufacturing that goes into a berg vs empi, berg is not worth 5x OR MORE, more than empi. Besides, a at a drag strip, your berg wont give you any advantage over a stock one, except that the guy who stayed stock has 200+ more to spend on parts.

I totally disagree and that type of thinking is why you are not in the winners circle or wearing a championship jacket. Shifting in a drag race is a very critical part of driving. Miss one shift and the race is over. There is a huge difference between a stock shifter and a Berg shifter. The Berg is worth every dime of the $200+ price tag.

The point is that most people are OK with EMPI (SHIFTERS) and you are not going to gain hardly anything in daily driving with a generic vs berg. And a tow home and hotel costs hmm.. 150? personally, I have lots before, and choose to just sleep in my bug. Whenever you deviate from stock, you give yourself a greater chance (most of the time) of breaking down, but unlike a bigger piston, better gear ratio, positive traction diff. counter-weighted crank, ect.. a shifter just tells the car what gear to be in. Thats all, you may have to move it an inch farther, which is what .1 second, that doesnt matter in normal driving. A berg will not make your car faster, or last longer, or shift smoother, anymore than it will help your tranny if it has a bad syncro. Point being, if you have troubles like that, your original shifter wasnt adjusted properly in the first place. $250 is INSANE to pay for a shifter. just like these people on here trying to sell exhausts for $1,000+, it is more to just be able to say "I have a berg" than for any real benefit.

I paid nearly $250 ten years ago for a Berg Locker. An awesome positive shifter and the security feature is second to none.

I have a Berg and it rocks, sorry that you suck.
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
fastinradford wrote:
But really, with the amount of manufacturing that goes into a berg vs empi, berg is not worth 5x OR MORE, more than empi. Besides, a at a drag strip, your berg wont give you any advantage over a stock one, except that the guy who stayed stock has 200+ more to spend on parts.

I totally disagree and that type of thinking is why you are not in the winners circle or wearing a championship jacket. Shifting in a drag race is a very critical part of driving. Miss one shift and the race is over. There is a huge difference between a stock shifter and a Berg shifter. The Berg is worth every dime of the $200+ price tag.

The point is that most people are OK with EMPI (SHIFTERS) and you are not going to gain hardly anything in daily driving with a generic vs berg. And a tow home and hotel costs hmm.. 150? personally, I have lots before, and choose to just sleep in my bug. Whenever you deviate from stock, you give yourself a greater chance (most of the time) of breaking down, but unlike a bigger piston, better gear ratio, positive traction diff. counter-weighted crank, ect.. a shifter just tells the car what gear to be in. Thats all, you may have to move it an inch farther, which is what .1 second, that doesnt matter in normal driving. A berg will not make your car faster, or last longer, or shift smoother, anymore than it will help your tranny if it has a bad syncro. Point being, if you have troubles like that, your original shifter wasnt adjusted properly in the first place. $250 is INSANE to pay for a shifter. just like these people on here trying to sell exhausts for $1,000+, it is more to just be able to say "I have a berg" than for any real benefit.
burdpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an EMPI shifter and I love it. But Ive never had anything else other than stock.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

fastinradford wrote:

pdari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Not worth 5x... when your EMPI shifter breaks and you can't get home, what does a night in a motel and a tow off the interstate cost?

And the guy at the drag strip can benefit from a quality shifter because he'll have less of a chance of missing shift.

So Glenn, so ummmm tell us how you realllly feel about EMPI? Smile Just kidding. Myself, I am considering the Hurst shifter. I'm tired of my stock loooooooonnnngggggggggg throw shifter.
2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
2007 Honda Accord EXL
2009 Chevy Suburban
1995 BMW M3
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worth 5x... when your EMPI shifter breaks and you can't get home, what does a night in a motel and a tow off the interstate cost?

And the guy at the drag strip can benefit from a quality shifter because he'll have less of a chance of missing shift.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fastinradford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Trigger Shifter Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
1971BugGuy wrote:
Besides... you could buy five or six Empi's for the price of a Berg. just a little food for thought!

True, but when the rivets rip off and you're 100 miles from home, the last thing you want to do is pull out your spare EMPI shifter and install it on the side of the road.

My original Hurst was used for 20 years and still has plenty of life left in it.

Use my factory shifter with a skull knob in it, worked perfect for 41 years, dont see any reason why it wouldn't go another 41.

jbrandt01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towd wrote:
are you guys really thinking Empi, bugpack and scat don't all come off the same Boat. ????? welp surprise...

Considering my scat shifter said "made in the USA", yes.

I'd put in a vote for the scat, it works incredibly well for the price.
cactu4r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was gifted an empi T shifter. it worked *great* in all four gears.

reverse though... never could quite get it to find reverse. still haven't figured that out.

i went back to a stock shifter that i found at a swap meet and put a hurst pistol grip shift knob on it. works great.

its twelve parsecs to kessel, we've replaced the negative power coupling, its dark, and we're wearing welding goggles...HIT IT!!!

...our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now!!!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endicott jb wrote:
Just because its mae in china doesnt mean its junk.

Agreed, but having many people report the rivets coming apart while driving means its junk.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $90 for my Hurst and I love it. Check the classifieds. You can always find one for $90 - $100. Well worth the money.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: