Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
The chassis work looks very sharp. Can't wait to see the finished product!
That Honda Trail 70 sure takes me back Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Year Wonder wrote:
Been busy putting the pan back into a roller on my '67 Coupe...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

digging the chassis, but also the mini-bike... may I ask what tires are those... I like the tread pattern...
xsnowpig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: color change Reply with quote

first attempt at full paint job. decided to do the color change i'd been pondering during the rust bucket restoration that is my 71 coupe.
not too bad for about about $150 in materials, including sprayer. now to knock down the fat lady cellulite with some wet sanding because i've found out that i'd rather have a 5 footer paint job instead of the 20 footer it is after not thinning the urethane enough. ugh.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: color change Reply with quote

xsnowpig wrote:

first attempt at full paint job. decided to do the color change i'd been pondering during the rust bucket restoration that is my 71 coupe.
not too bad for about about $150 in materials, including sprayer. now to knock down the fat lady cellulite with some wet sanding because i've found out that i'd rather have a 5 footer paint job instead of the 20 footer it is after not thinning the urethane enough. ugh.

Hey, at least your orange peel is actually orange - I say just roll with it. Smile
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Orange Peel finish is the new primer suede fad... Wink

bnc
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the engine mounts! I WAS going to drop the engine, but the headers hit the valance before I could get past the transmission input shaft. Sooo, since there was enough room to get my hand between the engine and transmission, I went for it. There was not quite enough room for the transmission to move up to remove the old squishy mounts, so I pried the engine up and towards the opposite side and was finally able to get the first mount out. With one mount out, it was easier to extract and install the other one. I had started on it last night, but got asked to go on a picnic by my wife's friend. She drove, so I was kinda hostage for a few hours (in a good way). The downside was that it took up the time I was supposed to be spending on the Ghia, and I had to finish up in the morning which made me late for a very very important appointment to meet up with a fellow Samba member.

The car started instantly and feels more responsive without the mush mounts. I used rubber ones instead of poly, but made sure they were German. Then it was time to hit the road for a 45 minute drive and everything went well... until I was almost at my destination and heard a rubbing or chuffing sound. I thought it was the pulley tin, but it also sounded like a severe cyinder head lear or a blow out plug. Turns out it was a tin screw and washer I had not tightened down that feel underneat the pulley (phew!).
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice on using the rubber mounts. Here's what the poly ones looked like when I removed them:

And I was able to install the replacement mounts without removing the transmission as well. It was a very tight squeeze and I had to grind about 2mm off of one of the bolts to get it to fit.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Level Reply with quote

I was re-arranging a very cluttered garage and had to move the Ghia to the driveway. I looked out from the doorway at her backside and noticed the drivers side was about sagging about 2 inches. I guess I may have gained a couple of pounds over the years since the car was finished Embarassed
I re-indexed the spring plate/torsion bar to bring it back to level. It sure makes it nice to have a spring plate tool which I didn't have when I was restoring her. It's nice and level now! It sure doesn't look level in this picture. I think I had my I -Phone on a slant Confused

Mike Gerson

Nataliexsari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: 69 Karmann ghia engine problem Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry I'm new to this site and I just had a quick question. I have a 1969 and I can't seem to find how to open the engine compartment. I googled how and came up empty. There is no lever by the drivers side. There's a lever where the emergency brake is and that did nothing.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Karmann ghia engine problem Reply with quote

Nataliexsari wrote:
Hi guys, sorry I'm new to this site and I just had a quick question. I have a 1969 and I can't seem to find how to open the engine compartment. I googled how and came up empty. There is no lever by the drivers side. There's a lever where the emergency brake is and that did nothing.

Open the driver's door...tilt the seat forward...the panel below the rear seat close to the door pillar you will see a large knob...pull it. Very Happy

It's spring loaded..if the engine lid doesn't open have someone lift it while you pull the knob.

Good luck.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my Bentley Manual to a printing shop and had them scan, enlarge and print the Wiring Diagram for me.

There is something perverse in the way the world works: The older I get, the poorer my eyesight, but at the same time, the print gets smaller everywhere.

Now I can at least start working on my own wiring loom without having to hold some magnifying glass to my nose.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 69 Karmann ghia engine problem Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Nataliexsari wrote:

Open the driver's door...tilt the seat forward...the panel below the rear seat close to the door pillar you will see a large knob...pull it. Very Happy

It's spring loaded..if the engine lid doesn't open have someone lift it while you pull the knob.

Good luck.

You'll find the early 1969 Karmann Ghia Owner's manual HERE, and the late 1969 Karmann Ghia Owner's manual HERE,
There's plenty of useful information in there, including what that mystery lever by the emergency brake handle does. Wink
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 Karmann ghia engine problem Reply with quote

Quote:
There's plenty of useful information in there, including what that mystery lever by the emergency brake handle does. Wink

i thought it was to pull ebrake to that side specifically.... Think
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Starter!! Reply with quote

Well damn!!
Drove over to pittsburgh yesterday for the vintage Grand Prix today and Sunday. It had been raining all morning. It began to clear so I hopped in the Ghia and was greeted by a spinning starter that wouldn't engage. Tried hammering on it to no avail. Luckily we are staying with a friend who has a garage. I have the tools and pulled the starter. Waiting for the wife and her friend to finish their retail therapy session and pick up a starter I found at the FLAPS. The show runs through tomorrow so hopefully we will be up and running soon. Sheesh!!

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success!!!

Mike Gerson

juki48
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a $7 short shift kit in my 74's shifter. I like it, although it's taking a while to get used to. I keep thinking it isn't going into gear because the travel is so much shorter.

74 Ghia 2276 Turbo MSII Extra
67 Beetle in restoration
Manx style buggy 1600 stock
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juki48 wrote:
put a $7 short shift kit in my 74's shifter. I like it, although it's taking a while to get used to. I keep thinking it isn't going into gear because the travel is so much shorter.

I had the quick shift kit on mine for about a week, and never got used to it. If I had one that was halfway between the normal shift and the quick shift, I might try it though.

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the floor damage was professionally repaired by Kman, I cleaned it up, replaced the heater vent that was removed for the repairs, re-torqued the spark plugs, and adjusted the valves. Then the car started cutting out randomly at idle, and I could see on the AFR gauge it was going lean then coming back. This told me what it was, so I went home and found the idle cut off solenoid loose enough to lose ground. I usually just screw it in by hand, which is tight enough for it to work and not leak, but not tight enough to keep from working loose from heat cycling. Used the correct 17mm wrench on it and carefully snugged it with two fingers. All better now!

Paul
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juki48 wrote:

I put one on my 63 bug when I was in college, it was wonderful .... Just bought another one off ebay. I understand some are now made of metal. and others are made of plastic. The one I just got is metal.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just changed the oil/filter and cleaned the carb last night. For the first time the lady at the parts store looked confused and wanted to lookup the "correct" oil filter for a 1970 VW. I had a good laugh... until I got the total bill. Six quarts of oil and a filter was $52 and change. Yikes!

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 88, 89, 90 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 89 of 166

Jump to: