Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since getting mine out of a long storage I've done the following:

* Oil/gasket change and screen cleansing.

* Checked the valves (all right at .006mm! I must have been doing something right last time I drove/maintained her regularly).

* Fixed the rear deck lid latch/lock. I've never really had a problem with the engine compartment not being locked down but it's just nice to have stuff working properly.

* Hack job fix on passenger's side window crank. I'd like to repaint them (took the plastic covers off) to give a sort of unique look for cheap.

* Hack job fix to replace a rubber bushing completely missing from the bottom of the front, driver's side shock (so, that's where that extra rattle came from in the front!)

* Took my 2 1/2 yo son for numerous slow drives around our small town at his insistence. He always points at the car and demands "Ghia!" (sounds like "g-ya!") "Drive!"

* Worked the front bumper a bit to bend it back into shape. It used to have this odd peak in the middle from what I guess would be someone towing it with a single rope wrapped around the middle of the bumper. It ... sorta ... looks better. All wrinkly now that I've bent it down a bunch but at least it's now bowed up.
http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
w0lf27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced my ignition switch...installed a battery
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sorting out the wiring - which I removed rather hastily when I took my car apart. So far I've been able to sort out the following, using the original wires according to the colour chart in the Bentley Manual:

1. The reverse (back-up) lights
2. The left and right rear (back) lights (one wire is black/green while the chart says black/white) - but then, my car is Rest of the World and RHD while the chart is for US cars)
3. The L and R headlights and indicator lights (flashers)
4. The main loom - from the front to the engine compartment - which includes the main wires to the starter, voltage regulator and ignition coil.

Sorting out the wires under the front hood where they connect to the fuse box and instruments is going to be a nightmare. I'm not going to pretend that I'm enjoying this when I could buy a complete wiring loom for about $300, but I'm just too stubborn to give up.

Next I'll do the interior lights wiring and the wires to the switches in the doors. Baby steps.
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevize1138 wrote:
* Took my 2 1/2 yo son for numerous slow drives around our small town at his insistence. He always points at the car and demands "Ghia!" (sounds like "g-ya!") "Drive!"

Ha, I'm in the exact same boat (now)!

This week, I finally bought a Ghia, after wanting one for years--a 1962 Coupe, 6V. So that's the big thing I've done.

Other than that, so far fixed wiring to driver-side brake light, shored up trim on doors and started my search for the elusive seat belt bolt points (so I can convince the wife it's ok to take said son for a ride!). Looking forward to many years driving and tinkering with this fun car.
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thruhiker74 wrote:
started my search for the elusive seat belt bolt points (so I can convince the wife it's ok to take said son for a ride!). Looking forward to many years driving and tinkering with this fun car.

I think I found the pan bolts I've read about under the rear seat bottom that you could attach seat belts to. That would mean only lap belts in the back unless I drill something through the upper frame. I've seen an example of that on here, too. Even with lap belts I could at least put my 2 1/2 yo son back there in his seat with its own restraint system and my 6 2/3 yo daughter in the front passenger seat because it has the full lap belt/shoulder strap setup. And, hey, no front airbags so it's "safe"!

In other news I installed a new battery last night. Turns out 6 years in storage with the negative battery cable isn't so good on batteries. Actually, considering that I'm shocked how well the old battery did perform. Only issue was it just couldn't charge fast enough for the generator to keep up. I probably could have kept right on going as long as I hooked it up to the charger in my garage every few nights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevize1138 wrote:
I think I found the pan bolts I've read about under the rear seat bottom that you could attach seat belts to. That would mean only lap belts in the back unless I drill something through the upper frame. I've seen an example of that on here, too. Even with lap belts I could at least put my 2 1/2 yo son back there in his seat with its own restraint system and my 6 2/3 yo daughter in the front passenger seat because it has the full lap belt/shoulder strap setup. And, hey, no front airbags so it's "safe"!

OK, I'll have to look closely and pull the seat out. Lap belts, as you say, are good enough in the back because I could then add his seat with its own restraint system. Just need to find those things!

You mention storing your battery. Kudos on getting anything from it after 6 years! Desert living out here is ridiculously rough on my batteries!
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thruhiker74 wrote:
OK, I'll have to look closely and pull the seat out.

If I was looking at the right ones they're right there in front of you when you lift the bottom of the seat up. They're even positioned just so that they're almost ideal mounts for lap belts except perhaps too narrow for an adult.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniff, sniff, mine isn't home yet. But I did get the floor poured for my shed/shop.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Motor's out Reply with quote

This motor didn't want to come out of the car. Had to pull it to fix the head. The harbor Freight transmission jack worked well. I am glad I strapped the motor to the jack, I think it would have been on the ground if I hadn't.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the HF trans jack is a nice tool! The higher you can get your vw the eaiser it will be to get the motor out. Taking a rear tire off also gives you a spot to slide it out. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
the HF trans jack is a nice tool! The higher you can get your vw the eaiser it will be to get the motor out. Taking a rear tire off also gives you a spot to slide it out. Smile

It was a great tool yesterday. I had the car at least 35 inches in the air, it doesn't look it in the picture, but the doghouse cleared the car with inches to spare. Using the tie down ratchet strap was very important, I strongly recommend it when pulling a motor out. It was like having an extra set of hands. I was able to then roll the engine on the transmission lift about 50 feet to the garage.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:

I like the HF ATV/MC jack.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainkowboy wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

The HF ATV/MC jack is the one that I wanted to buy. My friend talked me out of it, because with the transmission jack we could jack the car up higher.
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

The HF ATV/MC jack is the one that I wanted to buy. My friend talked me out of it, because with the transmission jack we could jack the car up higher.

I pull my engines with the car sitting level on the tires, drop the jack and lift the car at the top of the wishbone with a 5 ton traditional floor jack. Then just wheel the engine out from under the car. There is no need to strap the engine on the ATV jack, its solid as a rock. I just do the reverse for install.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something right.

Before I put her into a 6 year storage I installed the ever controversial progressive carb. The stock carb just never wanted to adjust quite right even after a rebuild. Idle was always a tad rough and just not the power I expected.

The nail in the coffin for the stock carb was when I totally lost power on the highway. I pulled over to find the weld holding the heat riser tube to the intake manifold had come unglued (figuratively, that is, as the weld just seemed to fail). So, not the carb's fault and I had no power because pushing on the accelerator wasn't working because it just tipped the whole thing forward.

Since I had to replace the manifold anyway why not try out the progressive? I got it used from a good guy here on The Samba who said he just could never get it working right. A quick install and some tweaking and I was up and running.

The only issue I seem to have is what I believe people call the "flat spot" if I go full throttle too quickly. I'm guessing the carb's just giving a bit more than what the engine is expecting then. Even then that seems to only happen in 1st or 2nd gear. If I'm cruising at 60 and floor it the power's pretty darn good.

What's more: I'm still getting 26-27mpg.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: My Alternator is dead! Reply with quote

Traveling across town to a show my idiot light came on. Pulled over hoping a belt snapped. I carry a spare. I don't carry a spare alternator!
I was past the point of no return so I continued to the event. Once their I found it very, very hot and smelly (burning windings ) I luckily I had enough battery charge to get home. This week I'm replacing my beautiful two year old with about 1500 miles on it CHROME alternator. I have confirmed (more than once!) "Chrome won't get you home". Fortunately my battery did.
Here's some pics of what I'm doing.
I hope I get it back together for Volkfest http://www.covvc.org/volksfest.htm
A proper Bosch AL82N Alt. is on it's way. Should be here Wednesday. I hope Shocked

[img][/img]

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: My Alternator is dead! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Traveling across town to a show my idiot light came on. Pulled over hoping a belt snapped. I carry a spare. I don't carry a spare alternator!
I was past the point of no return so I continued to the event. Once their I found it very, very hot and smelly (burning windings ) I luckily I had enough battery charge to get home. This week I'm replacing my beautiful two year old with about 1500 miles on it CHROME alternator. I have confirmed (more than once!) "Chrome won't get you home". Fortunately my battery did.

You can buy a chrome cover for your old alternator for about 9 bucks.
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
I think I'm going to try going to co for a more classic stock look this time. It's good to know I can add a cover though.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
pabloghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I noticed the door retaining strap pin was broken.
So called Mike at HOG and he is sending a couple of replacements.
I really didn't want to park the cabriolet during the summer waiting for the care package from HOG.
So I ground the pins to a taper where they broke and brazed them together.
That's when I got the idea to use some bushing lube on the pin. I slid the pin into position through the hard rubber strap, clipped the pin and tried it out.
The lubrication makes a BIG difference in the way the door now closes. You can tell there is hardly any friction and the door stops in the two positions nice and smooth.
I'm doing the other door tomorrow!
Northof49
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Fixed my front end alignment problem. Steering arm wasn't centred was the source of the problem.
2. Relocated the end of my steering dampner to compensate for the narrowed beam.
3. Replaced left rear wheel cylinder for the second time. Finally got brakes working as they should.
4. Re-indexed left rear torsion bar for the second time. Got it right this time, now the car is level.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 90 of 167

Jump to: