Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Getting motivated Reply with quote

I'm posting this to record the date of my last drive out before the MOT runs out tomorrow. I need to get the heater channel replaced on the left hand side before I take it in for test. I've read the threads and how to guides, bought the parts, and now feel ready to tackle the job. Will it be back on the road this summer? Let's see.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Getting motivated Reply with quote

kgj wrote:
I'm posting this to record the date of my last drive out before the MOT runs out tomorrow. I need to get the heater channel replaced on the left hand side before I take it in for test. I've read the threads and how to guides, bought the parts, and now feel ready to tackle the job. Will it be back on the road this summer? Let's see.....

That's a busy little backwater...where is it...Devon?

Despite the need for new heater channels, black Ghias always photograph well. Post up your heater channel replacement process in a new topic if you have time...it draws in a lot of useful advice if you need it.

Good luck. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Getting motivated Reply with quote

kgj wrote:

Let's see some pictures of that interior when you get a chance, please.

I love the color and contrasting piping on the seats, and I'd like to see more of them.
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.
Question 1. Mylor Harbour. Cornwall. I keep a boat here, it's fabulous.

Question 2. Photos of the interior. See attached.
You can see I'm serious about the heater channel repair. I've got as far as taking out a seat and removing the sill plate.

bozworth1026
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:13 pm    Post subject: New Interior Reply with quote

Added new carpet to interior, its a newton, getting to fit was a] tricky

Have to look at smartening up the pedals

Also added some shiny bits window handle and door lock

Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the new Preheat cable my son and I made, took the Ghia for a spin around the block, opened the hood and everything appears to be working as it should.

Just waiting to see if it returns to the Preheat position when is cools off!

Very Happy
Achilles3588
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Nice work Reply with quote

a Auto-stick Ghia....what a concept Laughing

Seriously though - looks to be the same vintage Ghia as mine. Any reason you went with what appears to be an electronic fuel pump?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, it is a '68 Ghia coupe. My wife has wanted one her entire life. She took me to by my Harley 13 years ago. Just before mother's day this year she came home and said she found a Ghia. I drove the bike up the next day and traded for the Ghia plus cash, my favor. I figured I didn't ride much anymore so she deserved to have fun with her ride. We are the third or forth owner. Looks like it was partially restored at one point. Unfortunately I am finding more and more rust, driver's side pans are shot. I've been changing fluids and got the fuel gauge and horns working again. I don't know where to go from here?!?!?! I'm thinking to just patch the floor pans as best I can and let her drive it for a few years. Funds aren't plentiful at this time so a complete restore will be down the road.
It isn't the original fuel pump, it was put in place by PO Sad

Darrin
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful day for a drive down the country lanes of Hampshire.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...majestic! Ghia looks dwarfed by the sky.
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Underside tidy up Reply with quote

Spent most of today grovelling around on the floor looking for any loose underseal patches or rust under arches and floor pan.
Generally in good condition but back side of sill where it meets the floor pan has (had) a bit of surface rust - also hadn't realised quite how effectively the small gap to the floorpan edge seems to hold mud and stones - took ages to poke it all out .
Cleaned it all up as best as possible, followed by rust converter and a good thick coat of two pack epoxy mastic. Second coat to follow after which I'll spray cavity wax into all the gaps which are too inaccessible to paint. Probably another day in total - and then another two days for the other side.

Last edited by Paul70Ghia on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudar wrote:
I just installed the new Preheat cable my son and I made, took the Ghia for a spin around the block, opened the hood and everything appears to be working as it should.

Wow, very nice job! How did you make the spring? Or, could you just make one for me? Wink
Sudar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
Or, could you just make one for me? Wink

PM sent
squonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the list of "Ghia jobs I'd rather not do again anytime soon" replacing the bushing and coupler on my shift rod.

To the excellent tutorials posted by others, I would add only one small detail from my experience. When reinserting the shift rod, make sure the "cup" in which the shift handle fits is turned 90 degrees from facing directly up (its final, installed, position) or it will hang up on an indentation at the top of the tunnel about 4" in from the inspection hole.

I'll also say that, if you've been thinking about doing this, it's ultimately worthwhile. I expected a bit of an improvement, but wasn't prepared for how much better things are now. The car shifts like a new vehicle. I can get it into first gear when stopped without having to first put it in second, and the incredibly annoying shift handle rattle is gone. So, overall, a good project.
Kharon8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Inspection failed but other stuff done Reply with quote

KG has been sitting almost 5 years so some problems were expected in inspection, like stuck brake piston (only one this time) or non-working licence plate lights.

Piston was tight but turning with large pliers helped and lights had just rust, couple of days in acid (for bulb holder) and zinc spray to it helped.

But worn out king pins will be more work and I had to order those as no-one here had those in shelf, a week delay.

Meanwhile we (with a more skilled friend) adjusted the carburetors (double DellOrtos) and noticed that I've a intake leak on other side, needs to be fixed at some point.

Anyway, it runs much, much better now and, as a 1915cc engine, it has nice amount of torque.

Inspector was whining about the modified engine too, as I didn't have any papers of it with me, they refused to change the engine data in registry until I provide some papers. (And it has so much more torque now no inspector will believe it's a stock engine.)

Ahh, the bureucrats: It's an engine a fellow hobbyist built for me from mostly random parts in his shop and there's no receipts from any of those ... so now he's just writing me a certificate that this engine (serial so-and-so) has been modified with these and these parts (product ID abc from shop xyz), signed by builder.

I hope that's enough. We'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusted the clutch cable on my '58; symptom, grating when engaging reverse. Should be an easy 20 minute job, only to be hampered by and old war wound (OK pinched nerve in my neck) turning it into an hour.

For reference: Jack up and remove left rear wheel for ease of access. Adjusting nut, 14mm, lock nut 10mm. Clutch pedal free play, 10 - 20mm (1/2" - 3/4").
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took her on her last drive for me. Pulled the engine and started getting my parts together for her new owner

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '74 with a Solex 34 is having a series of fuel related issues. First, the gas tank and lines were barely flowing gas, like 10 drips an hour... Took everything apart from tank out to the line hooked to pump, found that the rubber portions of the line were all turned to gum. Also, somehow, the intake inside the tank was completely rusted closed. had to create myself a rooter using my drill and a Bass guitar string. took about 10 minutes to clean it all out. Now, I get gas, but the engine won't idle. I mean NOT AT ALL. I can keep tapping the throttle, and keep it alive, but it simply will not idle. Tonight Im going to see if there is something clogged inside the carb. I also got a fresh throttle cable, as the one that has been in there for the last 25 years I have owned it is the same hack it got when I bought it.. a piece of clothes hanger wire coupled to the broken end of the original cable... it worked, but looked like garbage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: 59 Cabriolet Reply with quote

1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (current restoration)
1965 Porsche 356 SC coupe
1967 Volkswagen Convertible Beetle
1969 Porsche 911E Targa 3.2 twin plug
2006 Porsche 987 Rüf 3400K Prototype #2 of 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Volume screw out to take a look, and spray out the port with carb cleaner. It was interesting in that when I got it all the way out, I noticed there was no O ring on it, as seen in any of the rebuild kits out there that include a new volume screw. Also, along the threads, about half way, there was this black gum, which I assume was once the O ring. Im not sure where to get just the O ring, but I blasted out the port with cleaner until it ran clear. Replaced Volume screw without O ring for time being. Will have to wait for pay day to get the rebuild kit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 99, 100, 101 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 100 of 167

Jump to: