Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

congrats... I was actually tempted to send you a pm about selling your Ghia, this was of course before I bought mine... love your style, very tasteful mods that simply make the car pop..
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Sat in it for the first time now its all together again!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Really pleased with how its all turned out! Still at the shop for some final adjustments (including a more realistic regular use altitude).
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
(including a more realistic regular use altitude).

It looks so good that low...the driving part, not so good. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
chipster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got engine installed, new shift rod bushings and the IRS a friend and I rebuilt actually shifts! Reassembly progress on the car is slow, got the sound-deadening in the interior, can't find the new TMI headliner I know I bought, it's around here somewhere. Meantime, I fixed my son's 1/24 ghia.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Almost finished filling, sanding, priming the engine compartment. Those sharp prongs for the tar padding are brutal. Stabbed under two fingernails and sliced one of my fingers open. That's what I get for not wearing gloves... I still think I won.

Still debating on removing the cleaner stand... I will be going with dual carbs when its all said and done.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Dual carbs = remove stand. Smile
Gonna put the firewall tarboards back?
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Figured that. Ok, it's being removed. Yes, I plan on putting tar boards back in... Unless there is a better substitute??
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Drill the spot welds to remove stand.
If you are going to paint and recover firewall with tarboards....dont spend a boatload of time making it perfect. I lost weeks of my life making everything perfect only to cover it with sound deadening, carpet..... Confused
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I know... I see people with beautifully painted interior, only to be covered with carpet, panels, etc. The engine compartment is prepped IMO. Sanded the glue to a smooth paintable surface. The horizontal surfaces will get the most attention. I will be grinding the spot welds off the stand, with minimal damage to the engine compartment. Thanks for the reply.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Was thinking about drilling them out, through the compartment. Painting the holes, and plugging them with a rubber plug. Have the stand painted, that way I can bolt the stand back on if I ever want to go back to stock. I'm sure it's been done before.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Figured that. Ok, it's being removed. Yes, I plan on putting tar boards back in... Unless there is a better substitute??

If you are going for stock look than tar boards it is ........ But IMO , engine bays look way nicer with paint showing . Closed cell mat -sound proofing under the carpet works way better any way.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

^^^Agree. I went the painting route. I added several layers of Rattletrap, 1/2 inch, foil lined heat and noise reducer plus carpet. My car is still loud Confused
I will have to find some closed cell mats and see if that sucks it up.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Done... Removed air cleaner stand. Among other things, but this is the topping on the cake.

BEFORE

AFTER

Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

xzener, it wasn't too long ago that I reinstalled the AC stand in my single carbed Ghia. It took awhile to find a good serviceable one. Don't chuck it.

Had an intermittent starter issue that got worse to the point the starter wouldn't spin. Finally jacked it up and tried my remote starter switch and the starter spun just like the engr's designed. So I figured either the wiring or starter switch were bad. Before I crawled out from under I loosed all connections, cleaned and re tightened them down.
Went to the key switch and it cranked every time.
I guess it could have been a corroded connection at the starter solenoid but I dunno. The starter switch that connects to the key switch is $19 and is plastic. I believe I'm going to pick one up for just in case.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't chuck it.

Dont chuck anything, there is always someone who will need it. I think my old stand ended up in the UK.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Don't chuck it.

Dont chuck anything, ...

Words to hoard by - Believe it.

Ask me how I know. Embarassed
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

My garage is already full... It's all stuff bagged and tagged from the restore. Haven't hoarded anything yet, this will be the first item. I plan on repairing the damage and painting it the same color as the car. You know, just in case I go back stock.
lasslo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Bought some metal to get the 57 back to lowlight aigain Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DomG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Installed Christmas lights on my roof rack. Started evaluating why my gas gauge stopped working, added flared tips to my exhaust pea shooters from Aircooled Accessories. Bought a drill tip to tap into my front bumper blade covers to install my amber lens fog lights.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

I took it to the beach

Perfect day too
Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Jump to:
Page 112 of 166

Jump to: