Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about dual carbs for a porsche pancake engine??
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwTattoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i am meaning to do that, i was always scared i would mess somthing up because there are so many wires and stuff running all over the place
whats a good engine cleaner?
BIGTSV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use brake cleaner, and a hose. I also use some POR Marine Cleaner and a power washer.

If you clean up your motor keep water away from your dist and carb openings and you should be good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had few stock 1.7 liter on my old 72 buses.

i noticed in the pics, the stock oil bath is higher- am surpised cuz i recall that 914 dont have that much space in engine bay either...why would porsche have higher oil bath?? or am i missing something??
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadwesty wrote:
i had few stock 1.7 liter on my old 72 buses.

i noticed in the pics, the stock oil bath is higher- am surpised cuz i recall that 914 dont have that much space in engine bay either...why would porsche have higher oil bath?? or am i missing something??

You can ( * almost) never take anything at "face value" on these older vehicles... the 72 - later bay bus for sure. TOO many things could/have/were done over the years by previous owners and "mechanics/shops" ( IE engine swaps.. my bet is that is not a complete "real 914" engine but a hodgepodge of parts) and IMHO and experience there are really few un adulterated specimens out there.

Thankfully we have guys like Karl and others who really know what was what from the factory and others who can help with getting your vehicle running with what you have or tell you what conversions/swaps etc actually work.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ur right abt many ppl fuck around with motor, etc.... but i can tell the piece that is on top of carbs is purely stock (not the center thing). it got me thinking, it might have different or not stock mainfold or carbs??

hard to find unmolested 1.7 liters??? i had a bunch of them including every bits...i let them go not long ago...
mikebigh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atmellovw wrote:
What do you mean when you say you say your dual carbs are on their last legs? What is the problem exactly? When I first bought my bus, I had a mechanic tell me to switch to a single carb because one of my carbs was leaking gas. I discovered on my own that the leak was just a loose fuel hose that took me ten minutes to fix. From this point on I decided I would only trust the advice of the folks on this website and my Bentley manual. Look at it this way: If your mechanic can't fix/tune your dual carbs then what makes you think he can install and tune a single carb?

Good Said!!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely looks like a hodge podge of parts. 411 or Porsche fan shroud, but with a bus fan and timing scale. Same with the dip stick, some parts from both. Not really important except for the PCV valve, how is it plumbed? Did any carburated engines use a PCV valve? On D-jet engines that used PCV valves the valve fed into the intake air plenum, plus filtered fresh air was supplied into the rocker boxes.

Looks like his valve is feeding into the air cleaner not the manifolds, it will pass almost no crankcase fumes this way. If he doesn't have vented rockers then I would bet his oil has a lot of water in it and he might have a few extra oil leaks do to higher than normal crankcase pressure. He should either go back to the original carburetor system with an open breather or correctly install all the parts to a PCV system.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, its either a early 411 or 914 1.7 depending on the engine code near the back of the case. Should start with either a "W" or "EA" which is a 80hp 1.7L with djet.
With carbs who knows its output.

Send the carbs out to be rebuilt as most guys f*uck em up...and the shafts need to be bushed for proper operation.

I have never seen a good running POS single carb.... I have seen ones that run, start crappy, and have poor MPG.

Clean that engine off so it runs cooler.. Idea
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: