Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper/washer switch upgrade - will it fit?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Wiper/washer switch upgrade - will it fit? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if this aftermarket replacement wiper/washer switch will fit in the stock switch location on a 69 ghia and NOT interfere with the stock Sapphire radio?

http://www.rallylights.com/hl87200-intermittent-wiper-control-switch.html

I'm concerned because I read on a beetle forum that this switch housing is larger than the stock switch.

thanks!

Mark
86 quantum syncro
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should read this thread :

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395957&start=0

the jist is that hella switch is not a stand alone unit, it runs in conjunction with the stock switch. the cole hersee switch is a stand alone. i put CH switch in a couple years ago and it is a great improvement for a daily driver. and yes,there is plenty of room behind the dash for it.
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swavananda!

I just installed my refurbished Sapphire VI radio (by Nick Stokes) and though it looks like there is plenty of room next to it.......I was hoping for some confirmation before making the purchase.

What kind of washer pump did you choose and where did your place it? I have a scavenged U-pull-it pump that looks like it might zip tie nicely somewhere near the horns on a support bracket.

mark
86 quantum syncro
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just used a small generic pump. i tapped into the bottom of a stock bottle with a hose barb and pc11 epoxy, and looped the hose up and around to th pump.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic shows how to modify an original switch to operate an electric washer pump. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=563315&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfitzsimor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pump and switch information. My washer tank hangs from the plate that supports the hood latch, so I think I will velcro the pump under the bottle and run the wires alongside the washer fluid tubing to the switch.

I love the conversion of the stock switch, but I also want intermittent wipers to better cope with the climate here so I ordered the CH switch. Hopefully wiring it in will be straightforward.

Mark
86 quantum syncro
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tip on the new switch install.
the CH switch shaft is a smaller diameter than the Escutcheon on the stock switch, to compensate for this i put a rubber grommet in the hole then sandwiched it with appropriate sized washers and tightened the jam nut snug.
works well and looks clean .
you can send me a PM if you need any help on the wiring, but i think that linked thread lays it out o.k.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: