Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt 6 Volt Starter trouble..
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Frisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt 6 Volt Starter trouble.. Reply with quote

Any one ever install a starter that ran rough, loud?

I had my mechanic install a rebuilt starter I ordered at ebay and I have nothing but problems.

A great running car now reduced to not starting at all or now, as of this morning just a click when turning the key.

My mechanic even ran a thicker guage wire from the ignition to the starter, in his experience he ha sseen wher ethis helps a 6 volt car alot.

and I got a new negative cable, the cable that runs from the battery to the car's frame under the rear seat.

My old starter ran so quiet and smooth when turning the ignition key. This new one is loud and makes a rough dry grinding. I'm so unhappy with it.

My old starter acted up a few weekends ago and I ended up tapping it with a rubber mallet and fixed it. I thought getting a new starter was the right thing to do.

I am going tonow change the ignition switch?

I think if i return the start I will ordered the one form wolfsbrug west.
Yes, the one i got from ebay is a rebuilt bosch

Jack
2002 PT Cruiser Limited Edition, stock, auto, loaded
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be the switch if this never happened with your old starter. Sound's like you have a bum starter but before you ditch it have it tested. Autozone?? might be able to help. I bought a rebuilt from WW along with a generator, a bit pricey but worth it. Chris
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old guy that used to hang around always said the definition of rebuild was "USED!"

And you bought it off e-bay where everybody goes to dump their junk.

Where is your original starter? If you still have it, open it up and replace the brushes. It will probably give you several more years of good service.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: