Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

145's tire pressure
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: 145's tire pressure Reply with quote

Whats the recommended tire pressure for 145 tires on a 5.5" wheel?
these are for the front of a beetle.

Ive tried searching and didnt come up with much.
thanks
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the max pressure on the tire? This information will help figure out exactly what pressure will be good for your beetle. Chances are, it will be around 20psi.

There's a whole formula you can run to get the exact pressure your tires should be set at:

(Actual weight on the tire x Max tire PSI)/Max load on tire = Your estimated tire pressure

So in numbers, it should be (360x44)/950=17 PSI in your tire. It sounds extremley low but it is correct. You could always add a couple PSI to be safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maimas13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkbre wrote:
What's the max pressure on the tire? This information will help figure out exactly what pressure will be good for your beetle. Chances are, it will be around 20psi.

There's a whole formula you can run to get the exact pressure your tires should be set at:

(Actual weight on the tire x Max tire PSI)/Max load on tire = Your estimated tire pressure

So in numbers, it should be (360x44)/950=17 PSI in your tire. It sounds extremley low but it is correct. You could always add a couple PSI to be safe.

wow that is way off from how I have been told to calculate tire pressure. I was told max pressure - 10%
so 44-4.4=39.6, that sounds alot safer to me

(.o\ ! /o.) 62 chopped, dropped, cal looked, oval grafted, 57 styled, ragtop with polk audio sound system, driven daily by an 18 year old

A must read for understanding tires sizes and wheel offsets
Go Bears!!! Mech E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maimas13 wrote:

wow that is way off from how I have been told to calculate tire pressure. I was told max pressure - 10%

That sounds like a hard ride, bad braking, and less grip! A bug's front end only weighs about 720lbs over the front wheels. For the car to perform the way it should, it would require less tire pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kuncle
I am Kyle Deese

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 75psi.. Wink I ran 38-30 in mine when I had them
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarkbre wrote:
Maimas13 wrote:

That sounds like a hard ride, bad braking, and less grip! A bug's front end only weighs about 720lbs over the front wheels. For the car to perform the way it should, it would require less tire pressure.

So then you give no creedence whatsoever to the tire manufacturers recommended tire inflation? And you also give no creedence to the tires handling characteristics as related to the suggested tire nflation pressure?

There's a whole formula you can run to get the exact pressure your tires should be set at

Where did this formula come from? It's the first I've ever heard of it and although I don't dispute it entirely I don't think it is necessarily correct for every tire made seeing as how there are many tires built on many different handling characteristics that require different pressures for proper use.

Help me out here. Smile
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I looked, there was never a recommended tire pressue from the tire manufacturer. Max is the max the tire will hold. you should always use the specs from the manufacturer of the car
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Last time I looked, there was never a recommended tire pressue from the tire manufacturer. Max is the max the tire will hold. you should always use the specs from the manufacturer of the car

True on the recommended pressure but flase on always using the specs from the car manufacturer. That is good for stock size and type tires but once you change to a different size and type then the pressure is going to change somewhat per this article at Sport Compact Tire

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0208scc_tire_pressure_guide/index.html

Excerpt
Yokohama, for instance, includes pressure recommendations for stock and plus-sizes, by vehicle, in its annual Fitment Guide, which your tire dealer should have a copy of. Typically, these are 0-3 psi higher for a Plus-one or Plus-two fitment. Also listed are maximum load ratings at maximum inflation pressure for each size of each tire Yokohama makes.

and this seems to be a formula for a place to start considering all our vehicles are different weights according to our likes.

In the event that you aren't able to find a recommendation for your car, or the tires on your car are so different from those that were originally fitted from the manufacturer as to be incomparable, we received the following rule of thumb from Oscar Pereda, an engineer for BFGoodrich. He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start. The rule is:

(Vehicle Weight in lb/100) + 2 psi at heavier end + 2 psi all around if suspension and alignment are stock.

Example: Stock 911, 3,000 lb.
(3000/100) = 30 psi
Add 2 psi all around = 32 psi
Add 2 psi to heavy end = 34 psi at rear
With modified suspension, the result is 30 psi front, 32 psi rear.

"There is no 'golden' tire pressure," Oscar said. The optimal setting depends on the individual driver and his preferences.

Good post Fab4, it's been a while since I had to go look for some really useful info. Applause And as Erik showed I asm fallable. Shocked
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
Erik G wrote:

True on the recommended pressure but flase on always using the specs from the car manufacturer. That is good for stock size and type tires but once you change to a different size and type then the pressure is going to change somewhat per this article at Sport Compact Tire

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0208scc_tire_pressure_guide/index.html

Excerpt
Yokohama, for instance, includes pressure recommendations for stock and plus-sizes, by vehicle, in its annual Fitment Guide, which your tire dealer should have a copy of. Typically, these are 0-3 psi higher for a Plus-one or Plus-two fitment. Also listed are maximum load ratings at maximum inflation pressure for each size of each tire Yokohama makes.

and this seems to be a formula for a place to start considering all our vehicles are different weights according to our likes.

In the event that you aren't able to find a recommendation for your car, or the tires on your car are so different from those that were originally fitted from the manufacturer as to be incomparable, we received the following rule of thumb from Oscar Pereda, an engineer for BFGoodrich. He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start. The rule is:

(Vehicle Weight in lb/100) + 2 psi at heavier end + 2 psi all around if suspension and alignment are stock.

Example: Stock 911, 3,000 lb.
(3000/100) = 30 psi
Add 2 psi all around = 32 psi
Add 2 psi to heavy end = 34 psi at rear
With modified suspension, the result is 30 psi front, 32 psi rear.

"There is no 'golden' tire pressure," Oscar said. The optimal setting depends on the individual driver and his preferences.

Good post Fab4, it's been a while since I had to go look for some really useful info. Applause And as Erik showed I asm fallable. Shocked

So using the formula that you and BFGoodrich provided:

A bug weighs roughly 1800 pounds so 1800/100=18 psi?

I'd also like to add the 1967 VW Bug manual states the front tire pressure should be 16 or 17 psi....BOY IS MY FORMULA OFF!!! Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Maimas13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now im really confused... does that formula yokohoma provided apply to all size tires? if so then I really needa lower the psi in my front tires... alot

(.o\ ! /o.) 62 chopped, dropped, cal looked, oval grafted, 57 styled, ragtop with polk audio sound system, driven daily by an 18 year old

Go Bears!!! Mech E
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clarkbre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maimas13 wrote:
ok now im really confused... does that formula yokohoma provided apply to all size tires? if so then I really needa lower the psi in my front tires... alot

Yes, the pressure in the front tires of a bug should be below 20 psi.
Maimas13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, just brought the front pressure down... so the back tires should be below 22 then?

Go Bears!!! Mech E
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behemoth wrote:
He calls it a "realistic starting point," saying it has never been just right, but is a good place to start. The rule is:

This makes sense for a vehicle that is equally weight proportioned front and rear. Beetles are not.

It makes more sense to take the actual weight on each tire and calculate using that. This is why the stock tire pressures in the owner's manual differ so much front to rear.

The '67 Bug owner's manual above is for bias ply tires. Add 2-3 psi for radials. I normally add 5 psi total over the bias ply ratings to allow for radials + highway driving.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 225-60-15 on the rear 26 - 28psi
145/15 front 26 - 28 psi.
Good performance, good wear, good gas mileage.
Maimas13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrockGrimes wrote:
I have 225-60-15 on the rear 26 - 28psi
145/15 front 26 - 28 psi.
Good performance, good wear, good gas mileage.

ok so the width of a tire doesnt matter in determining tire pressure?

i have 195s and I should run them at the same psi as those of you running skinny 145s? or should my psi be slightly higher since I have 5 cm wider tires?

i am confused... still
(running front at 26 and rear at 36 psi)

Go Bears!!! Mech E
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maimas13 wrote:

ok so the width of a tire doesnt matter in determining tire pressure?

i have 195s and I should run them at the same psi as those of you running skinny 145s? or should my psi be slightly higher since I have 5 cm wider tires?

i am confused... still
(running front at 26 and rear at 36 psi)

If your running 195's all the way around just follow the recommendation listed in the VW manual for your car.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run about 24lbs in mine. Anything more, they get a little dancy on me.
Fab4Fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help guys.
the tire installer originally had them pumped up to like 35psi(he said i needed more pressure because the tire was smaller than stock!) and i knew it was too high.
although im still sorta confused with all these formulas... I lowered them down to 22psi and they feel much better.
BrockGrimes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22psi with a 145 on a 5.5 is fine.
I have one with a slow leak and it'll stay one the bead down at 9psi.
So you straight.
As long as it rides good and you don't get any weird tire wear your good to go.

Lay on the ground and look front to back at the tire, the tread should have a nice contact patch with the ground not all rounded up on the outer edges. The biggest worry besides wear is wet weather traction.
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre size should have very little bearing on the pressure - you should be within a couple of psi of the original VW specs.

This is what I run:
145 fronts - 19psi
195/65 rears - 24-26psi.

If your pressure is too high you'll bounce and skip, too low and the tyre will roll on the rim in corners.
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: