Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What parts are '68 only? FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: What parts are '68 only? FAQ Reply with quote

To link to this thread copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307958&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]What parts are '68 only? FAQ[/url]

I swear to you I tried to search, but kept getting the "No topics" answer. Wonder if the search function is on the fritz? I searched "68" "68 only" and "one year only" and got nothing. So can you tell me, on a 68 Bay, what parts are that year only?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have swore that there was a 68 only thread. but....

There are alot of 68 only stuff,
early 68, no gas tank divider
deck lid support stamping
doors
wipers
transmission
some paint combos
and loads more, i will try to find the other thread.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door handles (Exterior)
Interior Door Lock (Unlock by window)
Odometer different spot
Inside Rear View Mirror
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiper Arms
Brake Fluid Reservoir
RedDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 68 VW bus. I gathered up some info. visiting this site. The following one year only parts that I could recall are:

..Early 68 had the 9 pin flasher unit like the 67 bus.

..Brake fluid resevoir different ( although a PO installed the newer type. Hence I have little problem replacing it Smile )

Transmission is different. Not sure in what way.

..Wipers I believe don't have the acorn type of nut ( I was lucky the OP installed a later year type of wiper system allowing me to buy the newer wipers arms. Again Smile .

..The pipe between the upper and lower brake reservoirs?

..I believe if you bought the earlier year 68 you get a 10 gallon gas tank instead of the larger size. That does not bother me at all since I don't really drive far. Cool

At first I was somewhat bothered buying the 68 due to the limited one year only parts, but a poster on this site mentioned once that they are mostly things that don't break often. So I guess I'm okayed for now. Although if I had to buy another bus, I'd probably look for a 1971 bus instead.
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But being one year only, if a 68 is missing, say the door handles, does that mean I can't use 69 or later (to 71) door handles and the transmission?

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
But being one year only, if a 68 is missing, say the door handles, does that mean I can't use 69 or later (to 71) door handles and the transmission?

you would not be able to use the door handles from a later bus however you can find them so i wouldnt worry to much.
Transmissions are interchangeable up to 71 for an upright motor you can use later transmissions if you change the bell housing but the gearing would probably be to high for a stock motor..

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedDawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BryanM on the 68 door handles on finding them. I see them often enough for sale that it doesn't worry me much if mine happen to break. By the way, the door handles seem pretty sturdy and would probably take some effort to break. Cool
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple other less important things are 68 and 69 only, like the dash pad, and the round reflectors. The toughest thing to deal with is the brake reservoir, but there's even a work-around for that, I believe. I think the master cylinder is 68-69 only as well and usually cost a bit more as well.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org

Last edited by djdh68dlux on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, you tend to see quite a bit of the single year parts in the Samba classifieds from time to time, but they are usually priced a bit more than the same things for different years. Just a warning so you're not surprised.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
yz4me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: 68 door handles Reply with quote

Good condition 68 door handles are hard to find. Everything I search for is really expensive or cheap and rusted. I am told a 67 bus has the same handles, but I have not checked yet. I just restored a 68 Bay and had to sandblast and paint the handles because I had no luck finding good ones. That was before someone told me a 67 would work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
Also, you tend to see quite a bit of the single year parts in the Samba classifieds from time to time, but they are usually priced a bit more than the same things for different years. Just a warning so you're not surprised.

amen. i've seen master cylinders list for $240.00

weird thing is the vehicles themselves don't show a premium in resale value even though they are first year bay...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilbomb wrote:
djdh68dlux wrote:

weird thing is the vehicles themselves don't show a premium in resale value even though they are first year bay...

I paid $120 for an ATE 68 master cylinder, but I got lucky!

68s are starting to rise in value. that is in direct correlation of early baywindows becoming appreciated more by the masses and collectors

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 door handles Reply with quote

yz4me wrote:
Good condition 68 door handles are hard to find. Everything I search for is really expensive or cheap and rusted. I am told a 67 bus has the same handles, but I have not checked yet. I just restored a 68 Bay and had to sandblast and paint the handles because I had no luck finding good ones. That was before someone told me a 67 would work.

Yes and no. The handles and the key codes are the same, L code.
But the paddles are different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilbomb wrote:
djdh68dlux wrote:

I've seen the interior rear view mirrors go for at least $80. Sometimes you can luck out and see one for $65. Oh and they are rarely in "mint" condition either! I actually lucked out and found one for like $10 years ago at a car show swap.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
Basilbomb wrote:
djdh68dlux wrote:

I've seen the interior rear view mirrors go for at least $80. Sometimes you can luck out and see one for $65. Oh and they are rarely in "mint" condition either! I actually lucked out and found one for like $10 years ago at a car show swap.

$15, not the best though:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=637172

EDIT: Wait, does that even have glass? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 door handles Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
yz4me wrote:

that looks like you could just swap the paddles easily enough. of course you still have to find 67 handles...

also -if the ones you had were crummy, why not just rechrome them?

Last edited by Basilbomb on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WileyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: 68 Only Reply with quote

The steering box is for 1968 only. The steering wheel has one off splines.

1968 OG, camper 14"Fuchs & Gilmore A/C, XMI,Bose,Dual Batteries,Jet-Hot Exhaust,
nightfallofdiamonds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 door handles Reply with quote

Karl wrote:
yz4me wrote:

Hmmm, those handles look familiar. I just took delivery of these a couple of weeks ago... (note the Coos Bay return address). Wink

If you have a '68 single cab, the treasure chest door locks are one year only and also prove to be quite elusive. I found this pair, but needed to buy the doors as well:

Basilbomb, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for another pair for you... unless you end up selling your truck. Shocked

WANTED: Sand Green Rear Apron
Soft Green Cargo Door Panels
Basilbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but only need one. i even have an over-priced mint '69 bay clock i would swap for one! Wink

if you think the locks are hard to find, what about the escutcheon plate around it - the trim that mounts on the outside of the door around the key plunger.

i've never seen one and have no idea what they even look like!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: