Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'70 Clutch Lever Removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
visket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: '70 Clutch Lever Removal Reply with quote

Hi -

I bought a longer clutch lever so my wifee-poo will stop complainin' about the pedal pressure. If I could 'splain to her how neato a Kennedy Stage 1 is for the 1915 motor, I'm sure she would appreciate the additional effort to push the clutch in... I can't, so she won't.

Anywho - I got the circlip, which was a bit stuck, off of the shaft, and the cable as well, and the spring too. The lever isn't budging. I have the press-on (not clamp-on) version. I tried a bit of screwdriver leveraging, liquid wrench, and propane (which is a REAL BAD idea, seeing as you are about 6 inches from the gas line, but what the heck?).

Any real good ideas on this?

Thanks -

Mike
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the heat again but just try to heat the lever and not the shaft. If you don't want to save the old lever you may be able to cut it off using a Dremel tool (and lots of cut off discs).

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68Bug-lite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borrow or buy a cheapo two-jaw puller.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently heard of a guy using a tie rod puller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
visket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach du lieber -

The two arm puller had nothing to hold on to. The tie rod puller looked promising, but didn't do anything - at least with the hammer I used. I don't want to ruin the bell housing, so that's about the extent of how hard I'm going to hit it. Read: just sort of a 4 pound dead-blow.

I heated the middle of the lever to get the heat to travel down the shaft, hit it with PB Blaster, and hit the "bottom" with the propane torch before I pickle-forked it, so I am pretty convinced I ain't going to get the job done.

Ya know, this is one of those things that I just gotta suck it up, and bring it to the local VW (of which I have two great shops) dude.

I have it soaking (again) tonight in PB Blaster, and I'll give it another try tomorrow. After that, it's going in.

Chalk up one failed "simple mod" in 2008...

Crying or Very sad
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air chisel...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
visket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! No "air" !!

Note to self: If I were young again, I would purchase a NICE upright air compressor for all of my automotive/other household needs. Since I was stoopid when I was young, I now have electrical stuff that is less reliable and less powerful then air tools.

Air = Good.

In any event, THAT's why I'll wind up bringing it to my local mechanic...
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... realizing that not everyone has an air compressor and or a plethora of air tools... too bad...the air chisel takes care of many many "things" like that which need just the right amount of persuasion... I have used the air chisel to remove a stuck clutch arm at least 50 or more times on transaxles in and out of the car.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: