Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shorter Rear Shock Info?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Shorter Rear Shock Info? Reply with quote

My bug is lowered in the rear and it bangs at every bump.

I changed the rear shocks for fresh stock sized KYB’s and I think that may be a part of my problem.

From reading around here it seems I need a shorter shock.

I have something like a 3” drop.

I read where Glenn mentions the KYB GR2 344098 for the FRONT of a beam, but what for an IRS rear?

I need a part number for a shorter KYB shock for the rear that will bolt up to the IRS rear end without modifications; adapters are okay and if so please list them.

One last try before I raise it back up.

Thanks.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need a shorter rear shock. The trailing arm will hit the shock tower before the shock bottoms out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Debugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I think I am going to just raise the rear end back up. Can't be bothered with the nonsense, it looks cool but it rides terrible over bumps.
rotorbugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point of running shorter shocks is to get back in to the "softer" range of operation. I just ordered the shorter fronts for my 69 as the ride got crappy when lowered with the adjusters. (I have drop spindles too)

I'd like to know if anyone has found a good shorter rear shock to use with notched spring plates, or if it is better to use the stiffer full length shock to help keep from bottoming out.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotorbugg wrote:
I think the point of running shorter shocks is to get back in to the "softer" range of operation.

The valving and oil viscosity of a shock does not change when you compress it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rotorbugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No valving change? Then those shorter front shocks are not going to improve the ride. Crying or Very sad Is the only benefit to prevent bottoming out? I guess I will find out when I install them next weekend.

I have adjusted my beam so that the lower trailing arm is nearly level. I though that this was only a moderate drop? Before I did this, it was up like stock and the ride was super smooth but now the ride is really harsh.

As for the rear, I've decided to try a set of Empi coil overs to raise my spring rate cheaply. Someday I may get SAW torsions and notch my springplates, but right now I need to make the most of my limited travel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: