Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vented valve covers...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Vented valve covers... Reply with quote

Anybody run them on 25/36hp engines? My old '50 engine (actually a '52) used to throw a bit of oil from behind the pulley, but compression was good, so I have no reason to suspect worn rings/blow-by.

I have a set of NOS ones and was thinking about putting them on my new '50 engine. Hopefully keep the engine bay a little cleaner?

I know there is wisdom that says that if you are slinging oil, you have other problems, and venting is just a band-aid (sort of like 8 volt batteries, but don't get me started on that....Wink). True for 25 hp engines? I would think there is plenty of venting already around the loose oil fill thingy.

It didn't sling that much, just a light oily coating under the lid, and that is doing 1000-1500 mi/yr.

Thoughts??

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the oil pressure relief piston out and clean it, it could be sticking a bit. I bead blast them and then give it a little polish on the buffer. You could also use a plastic brissle brush to clean out the bore. I found about 95% of the time if there is oil going past the pulley it's the relief valve sticking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented valve covers... Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Anybody run them on 25/36hp engines? My old '50 engine (actually a '52) used to throw a bit of oil from behind the pulley, but compression was good, so I have no reason to suspect worn rings/blow-by.
Oh yeah? I have a '50 engine in my '52 standard. Wanna trade? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine had a factory rebuilt engine sling oil from the pulley.....enough to give an obvious oil stripe on the back of the decklid. The VW dealer looked it over and was baffled; all seemed fine and like new. One day, the problem went away all by itself. All we could think of was that something was blocking the oil return thread on the crank pulley, or perhaps the oil drain passage in the block near the pulley had been partially obstructed by case sealant or other foreign matter.

Maybe the vented valve covers were a measure that dates to about Jan '54; the higher compression ratio (relative to 25hp) of the earliest 36hp engines might have caused a few more pulley oil leaks. It would not surprise me if modifications to the windows in the webs of the crankcase halves were part of the eventual fix, the valve covers being a band-aid solution. Can't see any harm in trying 'em......

H.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say run them. i did on my 55 bus and is does help! they offered it as an option for bus owners . it's in the 55 bus workshop manual. probably cuz in a bus your tacking the hell out of it to make it keep up with traffic!! i know i do!
steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vented valve covers... Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
johnshenry wrote:
Oh yeah? I have a '50 engine in my '52 standard. Wanna trade? Laughing

You are about 8 months too late Greg.

I traded with a guy in CA for a rebuilt 25hp long block that was 293 numbers off the engine that was in my car from the factory! I traded him my March '52 engine (and some other stuff) for it. Just turned out he had a March '52 'vert with the wrong engine....!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Vented valve covers Reply with quote

I run them on my Ghia which with the Judson installed it was pushing oil out from behind the pulley. Once I installed the vented valve covers it stopped the oil being pushed out due to the high crank pressure. The CR of the 36hp with the Judson I believe was leaking pressure past the rings and building crankcase pressure.

Now with the Okrasa I installed total seal rings to guarantee no blow-by and it has a seal machined into the case instead of an oil sling. It is dry as a bone with no blow-by at all.

-Craig
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run them on my '53 and have for years. They were an original 25 hp accessory, although I have seen great reproductions. I got my original pair from Steve Heron. I bought another pair from Eric Meyer, I believe. (correct me if I'm wrong Eric Wink )
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made set of my own (it is showed howto make them, in my original 1954 workshop manual) and put them on while running the Judson.
Now I just run them on a stock engine, and they work fine.
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now you got me curious, anyone got a picture of a vented valve cover?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZwitterND wrote:
Ok now you got me curious, anyone got a picture of a vented valve cover?

Gallery search for vent* valve cover*
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fred Udog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've same on my 25hp :

Rolling Eyes
Fred
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

selv made like vw :

how to on my website (bottom):

http://www.oval56.de/inhalt3.html

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need them in a stock motor, especially a 25hp, if the pressure relief valve is working correctly.
tazm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a few sets from these Thanks ABP Tuning for te samples and the Original drawing , I've bin told that VW wrote a note to All VW dealers , how to prevent oil leaks by using these covers

Guido
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all.

Does anyone know of a source for a taller vented valve cover for a 36hp? I am going to be using Speedwell 1.25:1 rockers so need a little more space (or do I?) and a bit of venting.

Would these rockers go under a normal cover with some 'persuasion?'... if so I will go a head and braze in a copper pipe as above....

any help appreciated as always.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am building a set for Todd for his big motor. I had to cut the valve cover and lift the bottom half of it aound 8mm I think. I cut it from the recess in the middle down around the bottom just after it curves and welded in a strip of metal. If I go there tomorrow night I'll ake a pic of the one I finsihed. I got hurt a couple of days after I finished the first one and haven't gotten to the second one. I don't think you can stretch the stock coverenough to make room for the 1.25s

brad
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good, a nice easy solution, plus a longer clip I guess?
Roadcow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just weld spoons like Tom did. Shocked
66 Ghia Bonneville 2014
74 Ghia Vert
69 Bonneville Ghia 150 in Chico
69 Bonneville Ghia in Ireland
80 Cabby 2.1 16v
98 Passat
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pig-pen wrote:
sounds good, a nice easy solution, plus a longer clip I guess?

Stock clips will work. I only raised the bottom half of the cover. I used the groove for the bail as the bending point.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: