Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 bus brake wiring question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: 1971 bus brake wiring question Reply with quote

Im trying to figure out why I'm not getting power to the rear wiring of my bus to be able to hood up the wires for the brake lights such in the rear of the car, I am getting no power to the wires that are on the brake switches that are on the master. I am however getting power at the fuse panel on both sides where I have a fuse in the spots for the taillights, I have a fuse in spot 1,2 and 9. I looked at the wiring diagram on here where it highlights the brake wiring and I was wondering if it needs to have power to all the other switches and such that the "brake wiring" runs through.
Any help is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus brake wiring question Reply with quote

Fuse 10 for brake lights on a '71… Check your owners manual for fuse locations, the wiring diagram can often be upside down, depending on the year:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok, so here's the brake light diagram:

I fuse 10 should solve your problem, but if not……
Fuse 10 should have power with the key on, which is typical of black wires at the fuse box. (Red is typically constantly hot regardless of key.) Current goes from the fused side of 10 to the brake light switches via black wire. Check for voltage there.

Check the 6-pin plastic multi-connector under the dash for the red/black wire, making sure it's connected. It then passes through 54/54f at the hazard switch. A common problem on VWs is a hazard switch that is coming apart. On a good day, lights stop working. On a bad day, things catch on fire. A zip-tie around the switch will last a decade or more; adventurous types re-crimp the switch assembly.

From there, the black/purple wire from 58f goes into the turn signal switch and splits into black/red and black/yellow wires all the way to the tail lights, with plastic connectors under the dash to check.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus brake wiring question Reply with quote

I had similar problems when I installed a new master cylinder.
Are you getting power at the switch on the master cylinder?
I was getting power in to the switch but not out of it, I tried several different switches all with the same result.
I ended up by passing the hydraulic break switch and installed a mechanical switch on my break pedal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bertsuko88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus brake wiring question Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:
Fuse 10 for brake lights on a '71… Check your owners manual for fuse locations, the wiring diagram can often be upside down, depending on the year:

Ok, so here's the brake light diagram:

I fuse 10 should solve your problem, but if not……
Fuse 10 should have power with the key on, which is typical of black wires at the fuse box. (Red is typically constantly hot regardless of key.) Current goes from the fused side of 10 to the brake light switches via black wire. Check for voltage there.

Check the 6-pin plastic multi-connector under the dash for the red/black wire, making sure it's connected. It then passes through 54/54f at the hazard switch. A common problem on VWs is a hazard switch that is coming apart. On a good day, lights stop working. On a bad day, things catch on fire. A zip-tie around the switch will last a decade or more; adventurous types re-crimp the switch assembly.

From there, the black/purple wire from 58f goes into the turn signal switch and splits into black/red and black/yellow wires all the way to the tail lights, with plastic connectors under the dash to check.

Good luck,
Robbie

I got power to the black with red wire going to the passenger tail light and power going to the black with yellow to the driver side tail light. when I don't hit the brakes the wires have no power, when I hit the brakes was\ch side gets power like it should. My next issue is the black and gray that jumps from the driver side tail light to the side marker light next to it is always getting power once I turn the key on. Any idea why that is happening? it keeps the tail light on at all times and can't figure why.
thanks, Albert
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus brake wiring question Reply with quote

the most common problems with this circuit involve the emergency flasher switch coming apart (take a look at it) and the grounding (or lack there of) of the rear light housings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: