Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! So I tried to do this to a customers bus that had them done by somebody allready but didnt work so well. The prob seems to be that the key sometimes goes crooked right at the very end of putting it all the way in. If you pull it out a little and straiten it out and pushbit back in it works fine. Half the time you get lucky and it just goes in strait , sometimes it doesnt. The long groove in the key...the one that goes long ways , doesnt allways line up with the little tab stcking out in the lock cyl. But I dont know what to do about it?
Fatgaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: re keying door locks Reply with quote

Hi, as a Vdub newby I must be missing something as the door lock barrels wont come out. Help a newby. Thanks.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Rekeying ignition lock Reply with quote

Rekeying ignition lock.

Estacaco wrote:
Here's how it's done.

File down the two bronze pins. they've been mushroomed to keep the ignition/cylinder together. May also need to pry a bit with a screwdriver.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Removed.

Remove these shims. They keep the wafers from popping out. It's also been peened in. I filled the inner edges of the groove then tapped the under side of each wafer with a small flat head and hammer. Then pushed them backwards with the same flat head.

Once the shims have been removed you can change the wafers.

Reinstall reverse of diss-assembly. Pound the end back on put a dab of JB weld over each bronze pin.

Now my MK2 Golf and T2 Bus share the same key.
Sterkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial Reply with quote

Since there are some experienced people on this forum, I was wondering about the following. I want to put a locking engine lid lock on my '67 bus. I do have a three screw locking lid, but it is from a beetle and uses a K-code lock (see below).

Is it possible to fit an L-code cylinder into this lock? I already know rekeying is not an option as an L key will never fit a K barrel. But can I fit an L-code cylinder?
Another question, is this cylinder the same as the cabin door cylinder or different (because I have a set of L-code cabin cylinders extra that I could rekey)...
Maybe someone out there knows...before I take everything apart and find out nothing fits....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial Reply with quote

Sterkman wrote:
Since there are some experienced people on this forum, I was wondering about the following. I want to put a locking engine lid lock on my '67 bus. I do have a three screw locking lid, but it is from a beetle and uses a K-code lock (see below).
Is it possible to fit an L-code cylinder into this lock? I already know rekeying is not an option as an L key will never fit a K barrel. But can I fit an L-code cylinder?
Another question, is this cylinder the same as the cabin door cylinder or different (because I have a set of L-code cabin cylinders extra that I could rekey)...
Maybe someone out there knows...before I take everything apart and find out nothing fits....

I was told you cannot re-key them.
Tcash
Sterkman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial Reply with quote

What about fitting a whole L - key lock cylinder in there (from a bay bus)? So are L en K key lock cylinders the same on the outside?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial Reply with quote

You can absolutely re-key any L-code tumbler except the ignition housing. (Thanks for the matching decklid lock, Sunnydog!)

I do not know if the L and K cylinders interchange, but the profiles are remarkably similar, so they might just swap out.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thelmasdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Help with rear hatch lock--

I've got a 78 bus, has the black plastic hatch lock. I was able to get the cylinder out (while damaging the spring collar Rolling Eyes ), but I can't figure out how to get the tumbler out? Any advice or tricks? I don't see any screws or pins or anything.

Does anyone know if the chrome plated (I believe early 70's model) rear hatch lock is easier to disassemble and/or if it would be compatible with my latch?

Thanks!

vwed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

I thought people reading this thread would be interested to read the below extract from one of VW's own workshop manuals.
Note that it mentions that there are in fact 4 different wafers but that only 3 are used on everything apart from the ignition lock. This explains why a wafer might appear to be missing if the "confidential" code lists the 4th wafer.
I have these confidential codes in the form of VW's own key code manual.
I also recently managed to source the mentioned repair kit 211 898 041 A, picture below.

allamaabroad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Just finished rekeying the locks on my 73 Super after being sent to this thread over in the beetle forums. I had to remove the same 3 wafers in my door locks...strange. Thanks for the great tutorial

2180 TW: CNC Panchitos, Beehives Done Right, Web 163, Ultralight Lifters, 1.3 Rockers, CSP Python, Custom Speeduino EFI Conversion with 40mm Throttle Bodies

Distributors are lame

I have a really hard time leaving things alone...

Innovative and affordable engine management systems and EFI conversions for your Vintage VW
Visit https://debbiesaircooled.com/
Chrisisw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

I have a question on rekeying my SG tumbler.

Are the wafers frrm the different key profiles used on aircooled volkwagen interchangable?

Thanks a lot,
Chris
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Good information
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Hello
I don't have a key for any of my lock on my 1971 bus
I want to rekey all the cylinders to work with my ignition key
I understand I should have spare lock cylinders so that I have extra spindles or interior slats to use. Can I buy any door handles to fit my bus and use the cylinders or do they need to be original German or nos?
Additionally I can't find just the lock cylinders to purchase
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Contact members Steelersbus or Gabvwkey, they can rework your locks or supply parts.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Centurion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks you Busdaddy
I will reach out to them. As always thanks for the help?
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybus wrote:
Thanks, Karl.

The glove box lock is a SU profile, and the SU profile is compatible with ILCO/EZ U61VW.

My lock is key coded SU 29, so I gues that is the code to punch a SU blank.

As you said, my R profile key is too fat to fit.

(Not only would I NOT lock my glove box, I turn the latch 180 degrees so the passenger does not turn the knob, just pull on it. And if I had my druthers, I would use the ealy bay no knob glove box door I got from Chris Chubb)
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Contact members Steelersbus or Gabvwkey, they can rework your locks or supply parts.

I’m going to re-key a lock I got for my engine lid, I’ve pm’d steelerbus but just in case that doesn’t work out, does anyone have a source for more wafers? I would love a kit like was mentioned earlier if anyone knows of a source.

Slightly off topic, why is it on my 77 westy the rear locks/handles have black plastic bodies instead of chrome? Cost? It just seems weird since everything else is chrome.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rekeying a lock - Tutorial FAQ Reply with quote

So Steelerbus was a no go. Did other vw vehicles use the R type keys so I can possibly pull from other parts/vehicles?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: