Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CDI and Spark Plug Wires
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
svenjamison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: CDI and Spark Plug Wires Reply with quote

Is anyone aware of the correct plug wires for a TIV that can handle the higher energy of a Mallory Hyfire 6 EZ? I have researched this and have reached the conclusion that standard Bosch wires are not up to the task. Summit Racing and CB Performance show only low resistance wires for a T1, and the wires that are available through Aircooled specify that the ceramic ends that connect to the plugs are not included, and suggest that you reuse your old ones. This doesn't make sense to me, as I am under the impression that the resistance in a Bosch wire occurs at the plug end, seemingly negating any efficiency gains from the better wires. If I can reuse my old ends, would I not be better off getting the $25 Taylors and modding them? installed on a stock GE FI FYI. Somebody needs to school me on this one..

Thanks

James
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same questions when I went to the HyFire last year. I bought the Aurora wires from Aircooled.net.

I tried putting on one of my bakelite connectors, as suggested. Utter disaster, and a waste of time.

Solution: screw the bakelite connectors. Use the wires as they are. The rubber and silicon jackets can easily handle the temps under the cooling tin. I did this and never had a problem.

Another point: you did get a modified rotor for use with the Hyfire, one that does not have a resistor?

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: CDI and Spark Plug Wires Reply with quote

NOBODY makes a HP wireset with long T4 ends that you need. So even if you get the Taylors you'll have to reuse your long bakelite ends, or have to use needlenose pliars to get the wires on and off cylinders 2/4.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: CDI and Spark Plug Wires Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
NOBODY makes a HP wireset with long T4 ends that you need. So even if you get the Taylors you'll have to reuse your long bakelite ends, or have to use needlenose pliars to get the wires on and off cylinders 2/4.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Hi John:

I found that I was able to use them no problem. It's a bit of reach to get down to #2, and #4, but not insurmountable. And yes, that was without pulling on the just the wire so that you ruin the connection.

I just found that trying to screw on the bakelite connectors was frustrating and nearly impossible, and it resulted in a huge resistance through the wire. Good thing I practiced on the longest wire first, so then I could cut off the ruined end and recrimp the original connector back on properly.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenjamison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: CDI and Spark Plug Wires Reply with quote

How about the taylor thunderbolts for T1? Will they be long enough? Good wires? I did convert my rotor to a no resistance unit and gap the plugs out.

Thanks for the info..
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch lists their BOSCH Part # 09171 {Spark Plug Wire Set} for the late baywindow buses. Checking online, prices seem to run from $20.99 to $51.99 for that exact set. Looks like the Bosch name for their non-carbon wick wiring is "Opti-layer Mag Technology". Make sure it says that is what the wires in the box actually are. http://www.boschautoparts.com/Products/SparkPlugWireSets/

Been using one of the Bosch sets with my CDI since 1985 or so. (I had previously been expensively educated on carbon-wick wires' early demise under CDI intensity in V8 muscle cars. It ain't pretty!) My plugs are conservatively gapped at 0.045"; probably could be even wider. Been replacing them at around 50,000 miles; again, probably conservative 'cause they still are performing well.

Here's an interesting explanation of some different types of spark plug wires.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/spark_plug_wires.htm

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my CDI from aircooled.net, John suggested I purchase a set of the 8.5mm wires and they did not have the bakalite ends like the factory wires so I machined a set from phenolic which have held up very well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
svenjamison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I will try the Thundervolt 8.2 for T1 from CB perf., $25! They also have available a resistorless rotor for an 009 dizzy to replace my hack job, although my dizzy is a single vac original for a GE. Will this rotor fit? It looks about the same in the pic as mine.

Hmmmm.
Mr. Loaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you measure your wires and call Taylor they will custom make a set for you! Check out their web site to find their number.
Toaster on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else had any success putting bakelite ends on their Aurora plug wires? Any tips how to do this? I haven't had a problem with any of the wires I ordered from Aircooled.net other than cylinder 2. I just can't reach in there far enough, even with pliers (which have made a mess BTW Mad ).
Quote:
There are a milion of this threads,Poeple just arnt smart anymore.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only tips I tried to follow were contained here:

http://www.shagadelic.org/pod/archives/000029.html

which I had found linked through Ratwell's site.

Meyer wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: