Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone use PENETROL on their poptop?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outdoornate65 wrote:
Grabbed a can of Penetrol to use on my faded pop-top. I did a little test square over the weekend and was amazed by the results...can't wait to clean-up the entire top and get it shiny again.

Question: currently my pop-top has no Westfalia decals. Should I put the decals on before doing the Penetrol or will it be cool to do it after? Just wondering if the Penetrol will prevent the decals from sticking to the fiberglass top?

Thanks and Merry Christmas.....

Nate

If the top still has the faint outline of the decals, then use them to line up the new stickers. The Penetrol might remove the outlines otherwise. Plus you know the stickers will stay put, not sure if they will or won't over the Penetrol. Why take the chance?
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shizzon wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My white pop-top looked just as bad if not worse (black dirt/mold):

1. Using an 8' ladder I carefully cleaned with a low pressure (1700 psi) electric pressure washer. This took off the majority of grime, but you could still see plenty of black where the thick stuff was.

2. Next came the easy part. I sprayed the entire top with Clorox "Clean-up" bleach spray. I did this on an already wet top (from pressure washing) and in full shade so the spray wouldn't dry quickly. Let stand for 5-10 min (no scrubbing) until I noticed that some areas were just barely starting to dry. Note: Obviously you DON'T want to get any bleach spray on your canvas top. No worries with good seals and the top down. Repeat if necessary/desired.

3. Sprayed off with water. Looked 100% clean.

4. Buffed the entire top 3'x3' at a time (using a 6" random orbital buffer from Porter-Cable with sponge pad) with 3M "Marine Restorer & Wax" (one product): http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Restorer-16-9-fl-O...rglass+wax . Gentle wipe with a microfiber towel after each 3'x3' section.

Very happy with the results. A little elbow grease, but not much. Done in 3 hours. The white actually got whiter and now looks nice and glossy.
Van Morrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Penetrol Didn't Work for White Top Mildew & Fuzz Reply with quote

I wanted to tackle the exterior mildew issue on my pop-top again. I thought maybe there was some type of inhibitor that could preclude me from having to scrub the whole thing every three months. I found the Penetrol threads and thought, “too good to be true.” Well, for my needs, it was. After reading all the posts it seemed the Penetrol was mostly being used to restore color but thought I’d try anyways. I also noticed that most of the posts were for colored tops, mine is white.

I scrubbed the top again. This time with Soft Scrub brand bathroom cleaner (thanks to a tip in one of the posts). It was looking quite nice. Still lots of fuzz and cracks throughout. My top is not smooth at all. Lots of small hairs. I started in with the Penetrol. Just the front portion first. No change. After two coats, no change. It was a little darker where I assumed the oils of Penetrol were perpetually highlighting my cracks. So I moved to the small square in the top (the marker for sunroof) and applied very heavily, no change. I repeated, no change. I finally gave up as there was no reason to pour Penetrol over my roof for no appreciable change.

So for excessive fuzz and small cracks I found Penetrol to be of no value. I did find that Soft Scrub did a better job of cleaning the mildew than previous attempts with other cleaners, so not a complete loss
'81 Westy - New England
modjustin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used penetrol on my top, it looks brand new, couldn't even tell the difference where the sun bleached section met the section behind the cargo area that is covered when the pop top in down. I know there's some negative aspects to this, but as of now it looks great, hopefully it last at least a summer...

Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Penetrol Didn't Work for White Top Mildew & Fuzz Reply with quote

<<So for excessive fuzz and small cracks I found Penetrol to be of no value. >>

You cannot expect Penetrol renew the over oxidized, sun burnt & damaged gel coat--
Your top is obvously so porus that it sucking up the Penetrol as fast as you pour it on.

It won't raise the dead--no way, no how.

Your next move should be to West Marine to acquire a quart can of Petit, or Interlux white urethane deck & hull paint.

These items will seal up & renew your burnt out & fuzzy top pretty quick, with the proper pre-painting preporation.

Penetrol is a quick, long lasting fix --for oxidized fiberglass finishes---not dead ones.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< I know there's some negative aspects to this, but as of now it looks great, hopefully it last at least a summer...>>

What are the negative aspects of this??

If you apply two initial coats of the product--it will last longer than a summer.
WestyDreamer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I remove my old / current wax on the Top to apply Penetrol..

I have a coat of that NuFinish stuff on there and not sure if the two would get along. It's already white and chalky looking so would like to get the NuFinish off and scrub the top clean B4 applying Penetrol so that I'm sure that the Penetrol is being absorbed by the fiberglass and not blocked by the NuFinish.

Any suggestions Idea
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mineral Spirits, Krud Kutter, Lacquer Thinner, 3-M Wax & Grease Remover.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... im just now finding out about this?!

definitely adding this to my to-do list!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abel,

Take it easy with the Penetrol on your white top---

One quick wipe using an old lint free T-shirt for a rag should be more than enough for the summer.
Do wear rubber gloves--

If you apply too much it will give a little yellowish cast to the white.
Don't go nuts with the Penetrol--if your top is in halfway good shape it will keep the UV from cooking it dull.

A Little Dab will Do Ya.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Abel,

Take it easy with the Penetrol on your white top---

One quick wipe using an old lint free T-shirt for a rag should be more than enough for the summer.
Do wear rubber gloves--

If you apply too much it will give a little yellowish cast to the white.
Don't go nuts with the Penetrol--if your top is in halfway good shape it will keep the UV from cooking it dull.

A Little Dab will Do Ya.

thanks a ton for the info Terry... i appreciate it!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Fiberglas top recommendation? Reply with quote

Looking for recommendation whether Penetrol will heal this top. The main camper top is pretty good, even colored. The closeup photo reveals a few unsightly hairs (like a newscaster when HDTV first came out Shocked ).

Curious if this is manageable.

The front section (ONLY ABOVE THE WINDSHIELD) shows white gelcoat below. The sides of the front (above the doors) are same as the upper pic.

Almost don't need to buy a decal for the front. Any recommendations whether I ought to go get the Penetrol? Local store (McLendons) has the oil-based Penetrol on the shelf.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the penetrol will not faith heal your top to factory brand new, I'll almost guarantee that it'll make it look one heck of a lot better than it does now.

It's a heck of a lot faster to simply clean the top, & wipe on a coat of penetrol ( maybe two in the instance) than to clean, mask, sand, clean, and paint on a coat of urethane paint-(petit, interlux, or awlgrip marine hull & deck paint)

Your call on the amount of labor & $$$$ you want to put into it.

Hint; The penetrol is the easiest on your pocket with excellent & resonably long term results, and if you have a Home Depot close by , you could have this all done pretty fast.
BlueTwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Read the back of the can of the Penetrol--or go to Flood's web page.
It sure sez right up front that it is a fiberglass shine restorer.

Just a little FYI for maybe Canadian consumers but most definitely B.C. retailed Penetrol. Same can but different labeling. It makes no reference whatsoever to fiberglass but make no mistake, that shinola is still going on my pop-top tomorrow.

I'd post some photos of the pre-scrub showing how much oxidation came off but I'm still a noob when it comes to adding pics...
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have pix of a white top treated with Penetrol?
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you were supposed to put Penetrol on a white top b/c it yellows it. I've read that more than once, probably here. Mine is blue, never tried it.

tam
ThankYouJerry wrote:
Anyone have pix of a white top treated with Penetrol?

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
MaiTai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I can't get Penetrol in California - is this the next best option?
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Restorer-16-9-fl-O...rglass+wax
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiTai wrote:

Go buy it out of state. I know that the Lowe's by the Las Vegas Motor Speedway has it. Buy the stuff that come in a metal can.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiTai wrote:

I used that exact product on my white pop-top with fairly good results. You will definitely want to use a random orbital buffer to get best results. You should also power wash and/or clean with a detergent first. My white top was chalky and dirty but in decent shape to begin with. Still has a nice shine to it 6 months later. I have no idea how it would work on a colored top.
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Penetrol in Ca. Reply with quote

MaiTai wrote:

Hey MaiTai, I found Penetrol at the HD, here in SoCa. Same metel can. Found in Paint dep. near the sprayers. Assume it is the same mixture!?

Worked well on my Gray top. Hope it helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: