Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Colonel Mosby wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can you guess which one is the 70 bug? Winner gets a snow cone. 36 inches of snow in VA. Guess my plans for a weekend cruise are on hold.

I'll bite! The pile of snow in front of the right hand garage door?
I'll take my snow cone, Blue Raspberry. Please. Thanks you!

WE HAVE A WINNER! COME ON DOWN! Bleu Cheese Raspberry snow cone waiting for you!
Asleep@thewheel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

What flag is that?
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Robert E. Lee headquarters flag. non offensive as far as I know. Long Live Marse Robert!
SapoSuper74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I repainted mine. Tired of people calling it the Barbie Bug. His name is Ollie, damnit! Drive safe my friends.

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

SapoSuper74 wrote:
I repainted mine. Tired of people calling it the Barbie Bug. His name is Ollie, damnit! Drive safe my friends.

Looks nice. Changes the character of the car. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Snow melted! Tune up of a 70 standard beetle. I got this back in September and I had not done this yet because it ran so well. Pulled the plugs and they were clean! New plugs anyway. New plug wires. New points. Learned how to use the dwell meter. I was surprised how sensitive this adjustment is. Just a move of a hair makes all the difference. Valve adjustment. Learned how to use the advanced timing light from Sears. Adjusted idle and finally carb. Still runs great but noticeably cooler engine now. Glad I learned how to do all of this basic maintenance. Next job. Brakes!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Snow melted! Tune up of a 70 standard beetle. I got this back in September and I had not done this yet because it ran so well. Pulled the plugs and they were clean! New plugs anyway. New plug wires. New points. Learned how to use the dwell meter. I was surprised how sensitive this adjustment is. Just a move of a hair makes all the difference. Valve adjustment. Learned how to use the advanced timing light from Sears. Adjusted idle and finally carb. Still runs great but noticeably cooler engine now. Glad I learned how to do all of this basic maintenance. Next job. Brakes!
Cool! Cool I bet it made you feel good! Wink There are so few people these days that have any idea how to handle these once-common tasks. Crying or Very sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Colonel Mosby wrote:
Cool! Cool I bet it made you feel good! Wink There are so few people these days that have any idea how to handle these once-common tasks. Crying or Very sad

I had fun. I took my time. When I wasn't sure I had a bunch of manuals like the Bentley to look at. If I still wasn't sure good old you tube was handy. Found a very nice tutorial on the points adjustment from Just Kampers. It consumed most of my day but I was rewarded with a good running car. And I didn't have to pay somebody a bunch of dough in labor....I did all by myself! Now I can do it anytime at all.
RealThing74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

The other day on the way back from Home Depot I heard a POP then lots of popping I figured right away I had blown out a Spark plug. Pulled over and sure enough # 1 plug was no longer in it's hole.I was a few miles from where our Motorhome was parked so I removed the # 1 wire from the distributor and drove back Very noisy but made it back. Motor home was park in a lot with nothing but gravel which would make it hard yo pull out the engine. I found 2 - 2'x8' sheets of 1/2 particle board that I placed under the engine and out the back so I could roll the engine out from under the Beetle. Got the engine out and took the tin off so I could pull the head. I then took it to Off-Road Buggy Supply here in Yuma. Richard ran a chase threw # 2 and fixed # 1. I took the tin to a car wash and power washed them. Tomorrow I will install the the head, all the tin and then put the engine back in the Beetle.

73 Standard Beetle that we tow behind our Motorhome & use for sightseeing.
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Good job RealThing74, hope it works out for you...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RTope13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Replaced the old radio with a vintage looking upgrade. Definitely a upgrade

btreft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Started training my 8yo daughter how to wrench on my 73 standard that's been sitting since 2010. She has already gotten it fired up now we are flushing all fluids and clean/seal fuel tank, next we will tune the carb and start front end body work (early fenders and rossi headlights)
b15605
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I taught my 12 year old daughter to drive my '73 super...first time driving and she picked up on it pretty well overall. Now all she wants to do is drive the beetle around!
shawnmartin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I'm working on separating the pans from the body so I can replace pans. Lots of rust and I'm down to bare bones. So much fun.
nachche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_hd02 wrote:
Replaced the headlight halogen bulbs for LED bulbs on my '74 SB.
HUGE difference. LED bulbs are way much brighter and have lower power consumption. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

nice!
can you tell me what do I need in order to change the bulbs? any add-on other than the bulbs? any link to the bulbs?
thank you
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Haven't done it yet, need to find the wrench grrrr, but will empty some of the too much oil the mechanic put in it when I had the started replaced. Not a job I could have done myself and the guy did say he "worked on lots of these things". I thought why not just change my oil while you're at it save me the trip to the oil recycle place.
Will do a whole new and proper oil change in the spring, salt season here, so I know it's on the up and up.

[/img]
76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Prepping rims for paint / tail light change / new tires - rims

76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

76RennWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Finally, on the road. Smile)
enalnitram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Since I bought my 72 1302, no one else has looked at it, touched it, started it, or driven it, except for me. My alternator died on Tuesday. (If it was warmer here, and I had time, I might try it ...So ) I got it to a local shop where they looked it over and did the work.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 308, 309, 310 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 309 of 449

Jump to: