Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 316, 317, 318 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mine starts eazely&quick. but it's been forever since I did any points adjustments....like...never on this car...hmm I think Ive had 2 cars with points in my life.56 chrysler windsor and for a while my 74 toioidie had points till we upgreaded it to a mopar electronix like we did everything that had points.oops I had a 67 dart that orignaly had points too, wish i still had that car..
as for my bug and doing somethen to it...still trying to get that milk smell out of it. rewashed the carpet and drying it out again......rain had hampered the defunking on my bug...and made it worse than it should be.
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Took a length of galvanized bailing wire and wired up an emergency trunk release on my 69 Bug, poking it out of the passenger side drain hole in the spare tire well.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
HenryJ53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ripped the wire harness out from the fuse block back because it had burnt wires and a short that destroyed 7+ wires, Time for new harness and engine compartment sound proofing Crying or Very sad
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: seat belt, klaxon horn, larger roller gas pedal. Oil cap refurb Reply with quote

There were no seat belts in the car, now there is a driver seat belt at least. The belt had an extra pin that I had to drill a hole for.

6 months ago I bought an oogah oogah horn at harbor freight, but hadn't the gumption to put it in my Subaru. The Baja seems a good fit, but I'm not happy with the sound just yet. I read that in order to get that ahh-oog-ahh sound instead of just the oog that I currently have I need to make the signal build and dissipate. The Russian girl at radio shack can help me with that.

There is no pedal, just the little roller. I was in Sears hardware and saw this 3" garage door pulley. So, with that and the correct spacer to make it fit the pin. And a little in the parking lot curb grinding I now have a much larger roller for a gas pedal.

The oil cap was rusty inside from sitting and was puking rust chunks into the oil filler when I put it on and off. So I soaked it in phosphoric acid for about an hour with a few scrubbing between. Washed it with soap and water, soaked it in gasoline and then soaked it in motor oil and then packed it with grease. Viola!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

raido shack??? I thought all those were long gone. Shocked or is it a russian girl you have in a raido shack.........see if she can get you a new oil cap too while she is servicing your ohh go....oohh horn.
I did manage to get mine all clean&no milk smell after a few cleanings& dryouts. sure was nice to see that hot florida sun for a change.
darkstar1107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Bought it! Picked up my first VW, a '74 Super Beetle. I expect I'll be back here quite a bit asking questions. I hope you all go easy on newbies!
andrewwebb58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Last weekend, replaced shift rod bushing at the shifter, and replaced the shifter coupling at the transmission. Some jack leg had put the wrong coupler on it, and after removing all the fasteners, it wouldn't come off the shift rod! I don't know how in the world the guy who owned the car before my Pa put it on, but it surely wasn't coming off! Had to take an air rotary tool with a metal cutoff wheel to remove it! After all that, the shifter cleaned up nicely and shifts much better!

Noticed brake lights weren't working, and braking was less than desirable. Checked the master cylinder and only a few drops of brake fluid! topped of the master and no brake lights work and tires squeal when you stomp on the brakes...couldn't be happier! will be pulling all four drums this weekend to see if any of the wheel cylinders are losing fluid...it must be going out somewhere!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Just finished a valve adjustment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Not today, but on Saturday: I fixed the gas gauge. Every now and then it went from full to half to full again, si I took it off the hook and reconnected it. Works fine now. Also, the trunk lock wasn't locking properly, so I had to adjust it. Finally, I took it to a clutch and brakes place to see if the drums were ok (they were), and they disconnected the speedometer. A quick Youtube tutorial later, I reconnected it.
the_purist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

whats better for a 68' autostick? a single or dual barrel, split or together carb?
68' Autostick (In Progress, red paint, black interior)
71' Super Beetle (Restored to original baby blue)
Triple White (Sold, engine seized, top rotted, interior rotted, MAJOR body rust)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

split duel bbl crabs....new not old junk that is wore out and sold as the best in the world by some scammer.....

as for what i did to my bug today...gave it a nick long highway drive@ 70+ to a car show to see some old friends....and some morons too.
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

replaced all the bulbs after I cleaned the housings and connections. Finished buffing the paint, put bumpers back on. Almost ready to roll! Cool

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Installed CNC shift coupler.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1252462

69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I rolled down the window....it's hot outside.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

installed nylon aircleaner covers -
have call-back set from TopLine for their out of stock sway bar.
its a fun car to drive - will it become funner?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Tightened the fan belt.

I was going to replace it, but couldn't find my spare.

Guess I may end up being in the market for a spare belt soon.

Only found 4 shims.

Hope I didn't mess up anything when I was doing it. Will find out tomorrow a.m.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
SlammedVDubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Going to start on cleaning out the pan fuel line ( Has fuel in there that has been sitting for 20 years! ) Can't get it unplugged! Tried everything from white vinegar to trying to ram it out with chicken wire. Nothing worked so far. Advice?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

old clutch cable or some such on a battery drill might need reverse
enalnitram
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I was scared, but it was simple! They pop right in...

Before. After.

unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I rolled down the window....it's hot outside.

I rolled them up and closed the vent windows on my son's 77, it was supposed to get foggy last night. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 316, 317, 318 ... 447, 448, 449  Next
Jump to:
Page 317 of 449

Jump to: