Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing transmission seals
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: replacing transmission seals Reply with quote

Been surfing the threads and haven't found exactly what I need.

The other day I pulled the engine out of my '89 Westy (2wd) and found a light film of oil all around inside transmission bellhousing. Nothing major, clutch was dry. No leaking between the bellhousing and the engine before the engine was pulled. Is the oily fim normal? Or should I suck it up and replace the input shaft seal? Any tips or tricks to this?

People on the samba said if you change the input shaft seal, you should check the oil slinger behind the seal is press fitted. What does this mean exactly?

Also, there is a leak around the shift input selector, where the shift linkage enters into the transmission. How easy is it to replace? Any tricks?

Finally, the housing around the CV joints seem heavily gunked, but the CV boots are clean as a whistle. I am thinking of replacing the seals and cap around the final drive(?). I have seen the thread that describes this, but I am not sure how necessary it is.

Click to view image

Last edited by Rhinoculips on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the shift shaft oil seal a while back and it was pretty easy. However mine was crumbled and glued into it's seat. I learned after I replaced it that if you unbolt the cover on the opposite side of the selector shaft, and back out the shaft a little, it makes it a lot easier to get the seal out. I used a socket of the same diameter to push in the new seal. While I was in there I replaced the shift shaft linkage with the kit from Van-Cafe. Keep in mind if you buy the kit from them it doesn't come with the boot that surrounds the oil seal. I took a picture of it after I replaced it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from work and perused the Bible. From what I see, they show a seal puller for both the input shaft seal and the shift selector shaft seal that is used. Thing is they show it when their is no shaft in either and you pry towards the center of the seal.

How easy are these seals going to be to pry out with the shafts still in place? What kind of puller can you use?

Then again, whats going to be the best way of seating the input shaft seal with the shaft in the way?

What kind of grease is recommended to apply in the "groove" of the seal?

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...........

Any one?

Click to view image
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing transmission seals Reply with quote

Rhinoculips wrote:
People on the samba said if you change the input shaft seal, you should check the oil slinger behind the seal is press fitted. What does this mean exactly?

Here are a couple of pictures of the oil slinger.

This first one is the oil slinger as you see from the ring and pinion side of the bellhousing. It's the tube protruding from the bellhousing with the grooved spiral centerbore.

This second one is of the oil slinger, guide sleeve and shaft seal removed from the bellhousing. The oil slinger is simply press fit into the bellhousing. The serrated lip is located on the flywheel side of the bellhousing.

When they say to make sure that the oil slinger is seated, this simply means that you want to be sure that it hasn't moved in it's bore and if it has, give a tap back into place.

Rhinoculips wrote:

How easy are these seals going to be to pry out with the shafts still in place? What kind of puller can you use?

Then again, whats going to be the best way of seating the input shaft seal with the shaft in the way?

I have never replaced one with the bellhousing on the gearbox. The bellhousing is REALLY easy to remove. Four bolts and it come off. A little clean-up on the mating surfaces and sealer and it's ready to reassemble.

Rhinoculips wrote:
What kind of grease is recommended to apply in the "groove" of the seal?

A VERY light coating of wheel bearing grease is what I use.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Replacing the transmission selector shaft seal Reply with quote

The information here helped me replace my selector shaft seal last night. (The one pictured below.)
Mofus wrote:

I found two other items particularly helpful if anyone stumbles across this thread while preparing to do this job:

1) the instructions in the Van Cafe description of the Transmission Selector Shaft Seal:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_131_783/transmission-selector-shaft-seal.html

2) the schematic below showing what to expect after removing the reverse switch cover and the direction I was supposed to remove the selector shaft.

James
Crowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:
I replaced the shift shaft oil seal a while back and it was pretty easy. However mine was crumbled and glued into it's seat. I learned after I replaced it that if you unbolt the cover on the opposite side of the selector shaft, and back out the shaft a little, it makes it a lot easier to get the seal out. I used a socket of the same diameter to push in the new seal. While I was in there I replaced the shift shaft linkage with the kit from Van-Cafe. Keep in mind if you buy the kit from them it doesn't come with the boot that surrounds the oil seal. I took a picture of it after I replaced it:

Is it the same procedure on the early model Vanagon 4 speed transmissions? I have a 1980.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crowan wrote:
Mofus wrote:

Is it the same procedure on the early model Vanagon 4 speed transmissions? I have a 1980.

The selector shaft removal is much different on the 091 transmission (1980-83.5). The gear shift housing (end of tranny) has to be removed. However, the Bentley shows using Channel Locks to remove the selector shaft bushing which contains the seal. Apparently it just twists out.

Although I did rebuild the 1980 091 tranny that I installed in my 84, I cannot remember how I approached replacing the seal. But, it does look rather simple based on the Bentley (Page 35.19, removal Fig 3 and replacement Fig 4). Most likely the procedure could be done with the transmission in place.

I suggest pressure washing any transmission that has been removed. Find the vent hole on the top toward the front of the tranny so that you can place a temporary plug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing transmission seals Reply with quote

Thank you, AndyBees, for the Bentley reference. I want to change the seal because I think this is the cause of my oil leak. No need to tackle the selector shaft bushing, at the moment. Figure 5 of Bentley s. 35.19 appears to show this seal being removed (by prying with a screwdriver) with the bushing still in place. I will try this when my parts arrive.
Vana Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus wrote:

Is that seal in backwards? Mine was installed the other direction. I have found conflicting info on the placement of that seal.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: replacing transmission seals Reply with quote

The flat side is always out on a seal.

I'm pretty sure that seal is spring loaded, thus, you would not want the spring exposed to the elements!

Below is a copy from Weddle's website .. If your seal looks like this, it is likely it can be turned either way. It appears to have a double lip. Mark Ward brought this to my attention. I'm too lazy to go look for one in my stash.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: