Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Convertible... Let the resto BEGIN!!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: 1967 Convertible... Let the resto BEGIN!!! Reply with quote

Shocked Greetings everyone!
As you can see I am absolutely new to this board. I have been following various topics here for some time. I have enjoyed working on cars (mainly the body work) for many years but have been out of it for the last 10. That's what moving and starting a family will do for a guy! Some of my previous projects have included a '70 Bug, '69 Camaro, '63 Impala, and a '77 Civic (not the one you may see in a pic or two). No I don't have the Camaro any longer and am still kicking myself!!! The kids are now old enough to enjoy "helping" and are stoke about the vert!

Anyways We recently acquired a '67 convertible and had the top replaced because the old one looked like a strainer! I was not planning on beginning the major work on this car until next spring but as luck would have it I had an "all of a sudden moment" while relplacing the master cylinder... I broke the brake line going to the rear and after further investigation determined it was in too bad of shape to splice (which I don't like to do anyway). This led me to think that if I have to go to all the trouble taking things apart to replace the line, I may as well get after the resto a few months early.

I will attempt to post some pics along the journey and try to keep you informed on what I experience. I don't know a heck of alot about bugs, but I really do like them. I anticipate doing most of the work myself except for paint and body blasting.

Currently we are in the tear down phase and I hope to have the body off in the next week or two - as soon as I make a bit more room in the gargage.

Take care everyone and as always comments and HELP will be greatly appreciated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by COLOFIRE on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to post pics to get our attention!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like an original survivor. I wouldn't touch it, just shine it.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Here are some pictures: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike... I knew I had to post pics but being somewhat computer goofy, I had to figure out how to make the files small enough to add. Now that I figured it out I am on my way!

As you can see the top side is in fairly good shape. The real problems are from carpet level - down. Major surgery is in order! It will be a challenge, but I think it will be worth it when it's done...

Enjoy!

Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOooohhh. Make sure to look into cross bracing the chassis before pulling it off the pan.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're young/rich/mentally stable to do a "body off"! I'm just welding in patches!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm kind of young - unless some grey hair DQs me... Definitely not rich since I work for a government entitiy... And mental stability can sometimes be a question - especially since I can't seem to get the big huge machine screws that hold the folding seat back to break loose... Let the trials and tribulations of restoration begin! Mad
ocbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing one myself and have had to replace heater channels, rear cross members, rear luggage tray, front heel board, and one of the rear quarter panels in the wheel area. It can be done by a novice with many ups and downs along the way. Stick with it though! But there is an end in sight once the metal work and body work are done and it feels great. I'm ready for paint now.

Looks like you have a lot of the same repairs as I did so good luck! Take your time, think things through, and you'll be fine.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks OCBUGGER.... It's encouraging to here that there WILL be light at the end of the tunnel! One question though; Who did you use for your sheet metal pieces? I read the forum on sheet metal but I am curious of how things worked for you. THANKS!
ocbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought floor pans, heater channels, rear cross members, front heel board, rear shock tower metal, and rear luggage tray from Wolfsburg West. Decent stuff for the most part. I didn't want to shop around for donors and eat up a bunch of time for parts in suspect condition. I'm not doing a restoration more like a resto-mod. '67 is a bad year for a resto unless you like self torture or are into endless hours searching the world for original parts.

I fit the heater channels, rear cross members, and front heel board together on the new floor pans after they were installed and then welded them together. I then installed the whole assembly to the body and it fit fine, I then welded everything up.
mustard_madman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your work is cut out for you.

I like cheerios too!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: FOLDING REAR SEAT BACK SCREWS/BOLTS... Reply with quote

OK... I tried to search this one out, but I didn't quickly find an answer and can't spend them time muddling through 200 threads!

I am having a problem getting the large pan head screws/bolts that secure the rear seat back to the body to break loose. I have soaked them with WD40 and have even tried an impact screw driver.

I am curious if these are typically stubborn and if so, is there a trick to get them out? I am reluctant to heat them with a torch, but I guess I could if I have to... Thoughts?

Shawn

PS: the door braces from BUG STUFF arrived the other day WHOO HOO!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Tear down continues Reply with quote

I thought I would share some more pics of the project. Like most, everytime you take something off you find more stuff to fix. Anyways, the project was on hold for a short while as I needed to make more room in the garage. My wife has resigned herself to the fact that the garage will be full of all things VW for a long time.. he he.

Yesterday I removed the front fenders (I only bled a little...) and the doors. I installed the braces from bug stuff. They fit pretty well and only needed to be dressed with the grinding wheel a bit so they fit the hinge slots. The left side didn't line up as well as the right. I expected that since I had notices the left rear did sag a bit. I think this is due to the cancer near the left rear cross member. I couldn't believe how much the front end raised after taking some weight off of it.

I am still having trouble with the rear folding seat back bolts... ANY suggestions? I even broke a bit on an impact screwdriver Sad Anyways I hope you enjoy the lastest photos!

Shawn

COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: How 'bout some advice... Reply with quote

Well first I must say progress has been slow, but with the holiday yesterday, I am ready to lift the body. During my teardown I was faced with alot of moments wondering if I am out of my mind for taking this on. You know, rust at every turn!

My question is this: Considering the rear quarters, outer edges of the luggage tray and heater channels are pretty much toast, what would you tackel first? The channels, the wheelhouses or the luggage tray? I want to maintain as much strength in the body as I progress so I don't screw anything up inadvertently!

I will have more pics up soon after I get my dolly built to place the body on. My wife has accepted the fact she is garageless for this Colorado winter Smile

All comments are appreciated. Take care folks!
Shawn
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your seat back bolts still "stuck"? My allen screws holding my rear drums on were toast! I tried a cold chisel, but nothing doing. I took my grinder and ground a thick slot 1/2 way down and they released easily while still "red" hot! Very Happy
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

I let them soak in Liquid Wrench for a couple of weeks. Tried an impact screw driver (broke one bit) and finally resorted to vise grips. I twisted one off and the other came out nicely. I wanted to save them but oh well. I also broke one of the 17s on each side of the body up at the fire wall. The otheres were so rusted, they had less than half of their shaft remaining. I guess I will have to invest in a tap and die set Smile

Take care,
Shawn
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a torch on the frozen bolts. Heat them cherry hot and let cool and then heat again. They should start to ease out then.
ocbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters what you do first but do the luggage tray and rear qtr repairs at the same time since they tie in together. I am assuming that a vert is basically the same as a standard. By rear qtrs. do you literally mean the entire panel or just the metal where the shock tower attaches to the rear qtr? If you are repairing small areas of the qtrs the you will need to remove all of the spot welds where the luggage tray meets the qtr. metal on both sides and then along the rear cross members. If you are only doing a partial on the luggage tray you can leave the vertical piece that forms the rear firewall, just measure and cut. This will free up the old tray. If you want to replace the full tray then you are in for a lot more work. You will need to remove the vertical welds on both qtrs. and also the welds on some of the engine tin.

The heater channels aren't too bad. I know you have a vert and mine is a standard so you probably have a different approach. I have never worked on a vert before. Do a search and read up first so you don't get in a bind with dimensions, fits, etc. You may want to do the rear cross members at the same time.

Take your time, think things out, measure a ton before you cut and you'll be fine.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some inspiration? Check out this 69 convertible restoration....

http://www.precisionframe.com/projects/69vw.php
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Da Body is OFF! Reply with quote

Greetings everyone!
First I want to say THANKS to all who have provided their input so far... Lots to think about. A major benchmark was reached last Friday. The inlaws were in town so while Grandma kept the kiddos occupied, Dad and I built a couple of dollys to set the body on. They were very simple to construct and are VERY strong! The casters are from H.F. and are rated for 135 pounds each and are of the locking type. I wanted a separate dolly for the front and the back since I will more than likely be moving the rear one forward as I work on the back end. Now I can tear into the chassis... I will hopefully get my chassis parts ordered today. I think I will go with Cip1 and their "orange" pans... Any thoughts or comments on those?

Here are some pics of the progress so far!

This is a pic of a big ball of fiberglass that was placed near the voltage regulator to plug a big ugly hole...

Here is the wad of fiberglass on the floor after removal

This is the left rear side of the rocker/heater chanel area

I noticed the neighbor was having a party on Friday... I called him up and asked if he had any strong bodies available for about 10 minutes. Here was the result of our efforts!

Now I can get on with fixing the pan. All in all- not too bad. It will need pan halves on both sides, a new napoleon's hat, brake lines, etc.

This is the dolly - very simple and very strong!

Take care everyone!
Shawn
[/img]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: