Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Convertible... Let the resto BEGIN!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocbugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the progress updates!

Be careful with that body dolly, it looks shaky if the car starts moving side to side. This movement may happen when you start fitting your metal replacement panels and later in the project when you start body filler/sanding. Finding the right working height will save your knees and back.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be nice working on the body/chassis separately! You gonna use a wire wheel to clean up your pan or a sand blaster? You don't have to replace Every part with new stuff! It's easier/cheaper/faster to clean/paint/reassemble where possible! Wink P.S. Should run 2X4 from driver to passenger bases?
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, run 2x4 from one side to the other on those dollies or you 'll have the car on the floor before you know it. Better safe than sorry.

Nice work so far..I'll be doing the same soon on mine

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Ahhhh... Reply with quote

Ah ha! Good point! I will tie the bases together.

I will try to salvage any pieces I can. I know the panels I mentioned on the chassis are in need of replacement. I will probably wire wheel the remainder of the chassis. The body is on the back burner until I get the chassis rebuilt and out of the garage. I will more than likely have the body media blasted. On a side note, I was concerned if I had enough bracing with just the doors being braced (along with the factory brace which runs under the front side of the rear seat) But after lifting it, all measurements are still true. Very Happy

Thanks for your comments and motivation!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: March Update! Reply with quote

Howdy Everyone!

Things have progressed slowly - work, kiddos, stuff... I just wanted to post some pics on what has been happening. The right side pan half has been removed. A sawzall, die grinder, and air chisel are beautiful things. I placed the new pan I ordered from CIP1 in place to check fit... and all looks like it will be fine! I took some measurements for the napoleon hat and started removing the old one. This also exposed some issues with rust on the frame head bottom panel and tunnel. Something new at every turn as they say Very Happy . I some new sheet metal on the way and hope to have to both sides completed by the end of next week. I will then start on cleaning up and repairing the "mechanical" parts of the chassis!

Take care everyone!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vpogv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely brings back memories. I went through that last fall and boy it was fun. Smile Keep up the good work.
72on18's
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great looking project. I'm getting ready to do the pans on my 74 so the pictures are very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You doing the heater channels? Here's some fun facts for your resto. I found these out the hard way on my 69 'vert. There are numerous extra support panels throughout the 'vert. Little rounded ones in the door corners. Big ones in the front between the door opening and the front crossmember. Extra panels in the rear that make removing/replacing the luggage tray interesting.

You can't get these parts so take care of them.

I have my luggage shelf out, along with the rear crossmember. Just got the driver's side heater channel out today. And I got holes in both front quarter panels. There was lots of bondo.

Everytime I open one can of worms there are five more inside.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Alby's Dubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: COLOFIRE Reply with quote

Mad Who's are the Environmentally Brain Dead Gas Guzzling full size American utes?
Couldn't you cut one of them up for spare steel? Laughing
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, I will be replacing the heater channels as well as a whole bunch of other sheet metal. It is a great challenge but at least this little beauty will be road worthy for many years to come!! I too have noticed that there are several bracing panels on the vert... I supposed there are about 8.5 million spot welds to drill out! Sad Like you I find new surprises at every turn... We shall hold the course and forge ahead!

Dubby, The big black beast is Mamma's family truckster! The big blue GMC pickup is MINE, and the white Ford is my work truck which is my mobile office for the next 4 years. Now, notice the itty bitty little Honda Civic in the driveway? He is sad because I was working on his resto until a bug showed up at home and took over the garage... So with the Honda and the vert, we have a sense of balance on the ecofriendly / gas hog scale. Wink By the way, modern Detroit iron is really of lesser quality than aftermarket bug iron...

UPDATE: Good progress was made over the weekend. I conscripted my father in law since he is a retired wrench turner. The left side pan half is out and the napoleon hat has been removed. Dad repaired a couple of twisted-off 17mm body mounting bolts on the back end while I butchered sheet metal. The new bottom panel for the front frame head is due for delivery today. As you can see in the pics above, the back portion of this panel is gone. Question I would like to use the new panel to make a patch panel for his in lieu of replacing the whole thing... Has anyone replaced this entire panel? and if so how much of a pain in the A$$ is it Question I would GREATLY appreciate any comments or tips you all may have!

Have a great day!!
SB
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far! I started my '67 - yet to get anything done on it for about a year Sad but I hope to start it up again soon!

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on updates!

I did a web page / blog to keep picture and updates and show friends and such.. Take a lot of pictures. It is fun to look back on them for sure!!

www.1967calbug.com is mine if you like to check it out!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Your project is awesome! Truly inspiring! So your a hockey dude? I'm a D-man on our FD's team.... Thanks for your comments and the link to your site!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Lots of progress Reply with quote

Howdy,

The last two days have been quite busy and for the first time in several weeks, I feel much progress has been made! We started with our frame head repair. To make more room to work, we removed the axel beam and had one of those oh crap moments. The bottom rear ends of the "uprights" were rusted through. Luckily I was able to secure a rebuilt beam in Denver for a reasonable price... A short drive saved a bunch of time and shipping costs.

The frame head was repaired, painted, and the new axle beam was hung. I cleaned the tie rods and hope to have them rebooted and installed this weekend. We even managed to get the left side pan in. The fit was pretty good and all lined up to spec. I will finish welding it up after I get the right pan installed. Thanks to the Father-in-Law for all the help!

After I get the pans all buttoned up, I am going to remove the engine and tranny. There is alot of gunk to clean up on the back end. Thanks everyone for you comments!

SB
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No frame rails welded to those pans?
The pics don't show any.
Interesting... all the cabrios I done had 'em, including the 61 I'm doing now.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanadianBug wrote:
No frame rails welded to those pans?
The pics don't show any.
Interesting... all the cabrios I done had 'em, including the 61 I'm doing now.

If you mean the reinforcement rails, those are welded to the body under the heater channels, and not to the pan.

Looks good, BTW. Where in Northern Colorado are you? I'm doing a '58 convertible and would be happy to compare notes.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

Yeah I am a goalie! Got to love D man Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to remove the jack posts from your pans. Vert have them on the support rails on your body.

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: A little update... Reply with quote

Howdy!

I thought I would post an update on my project. Both pan halves have been installed - FINALLY! The front end is finished. The process did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. The rebuilt axle beam came with disc brake spindles... Now I know you're thinking "Hey why not just install disc brakes?" I thought about it but it came down to the bucks. So I changed out the spindles, cleaned the backing plates and drums. put on some new shoes, buttoned it up and got the front end back on it's wheels.

I removed the engine and will be taking the axle out later this week so I can get the hind end cleaned up. Then I'll get crazy with some rust proofing gunk, do some painting and call this chassis DONE! I can't wait to get started on the body!

Take care!!

PS: I know I have to take the jacking points off and install them on the support rails... Just haven't done it yet.
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan looks good! FYI, just toss the jack points on the pans. Won't work on the convertible, as the jack points are an integral part of the support rails and aren't tacked on like on the sedan pans. How bad are the rails on the car? Some of your pic's look like they've long since disappeared.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bart!

Crazy weather over the weekend! It's crazy to be outside in 70 degree heat today and see the mountains and foothills veiled in white...

I will toss the jack points... By the way the rails are toast! Most of the body seems to be held together by the 5 coats of paint on it and maybe some faith Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: