Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Convertible... Let the resto BEGIN!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally back to work on the vert! I have had the engine and transaxle out for some time. The forks on the rear of the frame were naturally very gunky. Lots of cleaning for sure. This past Monday I was able to finally get some work done. I removed the "sedan" jacking points, prepped and primed the top side.

I plan to paint the frame with chassis black and use truck bed liner on the top and bottom sides of the pan. I will then go to town with the seam sealer. After cleaning up the transaxle and replacing CV boots, seals, wheel cylinders, and brake shoes, I can get the axle back on the chassis and get her back on the ground. I hope to get the pedal cluster, master cylinder, and brake lines installed before it gets too cold. My wife advised me that she will NOT have her truck parked outside for another winter. I plan to store the chassis in my enclosed trailer for the winter while I work on the body... Pics coming soon!!!
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLO, are you planning on getting the chassis all good and sound, then work on the body? I think I am going to do my '67 vert's chassis first like yours then attack the body.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after multiple camera snaffus I had to resort to my cell camera. With that I apologize that these are not as good as my previous photos... As you can see, things are beginning to move along again! In these photos you will see that the pan is primed. I masked off the things I didn't want painted (duh!) and shot some chassis black on a few components that will not get the truck bed liner treatment. Tomorrow I will finish painting the "forks" on the rear and begin coating the chassis. It should move along quickly now.... The ugly body sitting on the stands keeps staring at me with that "hey! how about me?" look!

Take care everyone!!!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: A few more pics... Pan ready for reassembly Reply with quote

Good Monday!

This past Friday I rolled on two coats of truck bed liner to the topside and underbelly of the pan. I am really happy with how it turned out. Anything to shield it from moisture is a bonus! Seam sealer will be installed after it finishes curing out this week. The horns were painted with chassis black. I have been feeling alot of misgivings lately about taking on this project. I had hoped to have it done in a year. Now we are at the one year mark and I am finally ready to begin putting the pan components back together. I started cleaning 42 years of gunk off of the transaxle witch made me question my sanity once again. I will soon start my shopping list for body metal!

Its BLACK again!

A shot from the front end... I'm beginning to feel good about the project again.

Here's one of the nakey back end...

I promise to ditch this phone (at least for pics) as soon as I find my other digital camera. I am sure it is residing in some 9 year old's bedroom!

Bugingly,
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you do this, let us know what is happening. Your 67 sounds just like my 69. I started it last fall and worked on it until it got too hot here in VA to continue. Anyway, fishing also interfered. I have one heater channel out, along with the luggage shelf and rear crossmember, which had holes covered with bondo and cardboard. I also have to do the front quarter panels. Floor pans are done (first and easiest thing) and the luggage shelf is ready for welding.

I would get the Bug Me videos volumes 6 and 7. Lots of great info there.

http://www.bugmevideo.com/

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
Lord Helmet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress there. I'm in the process of grinding the rust off my pan. I guess I'm doing pretty good for only being a month into it though.

Are you in Denver, COLO?
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Lord Helmet,

Keep with it... My project has taken twice as long as anticipated so far. Things just get in the way! Crying or Very sad

I am located in Wellington, just north of Fort Collins.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Update! Reply with quote

I am now making a habit of going to the garage to do something even if it is only 5 or 10 minutes... Blocking out big chunks of time is tough. I started to plumb up the brake lines yesterday. I bought a "kit" from CIP1. All was going well until I got to the back end. The short line from the "T" that goes to the left rubber line appears to be too long. If that wasn't enough, the line that goes to the right rear is too dang short. I guess universal kits are not so universal. I will be finding replacements hopefully today!!! Anyone else have this issue???

I'm liking this...

Good clearance for the pedal cluster...

So far so good...

Too long...!

Too short...!!!

Take care everyone!
nevercme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress... you are sure giving inspiration to a lot of people!
BTW - It must be nice fighting fires in cold weather. Razz

Almost ready for primer... stock mgr/pw or some crazy color combo. Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings from SNOWY northern Colorado!

I gave up on summer and now I have given up on fall... Come on winter... Bring it!!! Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I managed to get the transaxle back where it belongs. I have to say that putting it back was alot tougher than taking it out. I still have to remove, clean, and paint the backing plates. I will then go back together with new bearings, seals, wheel cylinders, and pads. My goal is to have the pan back on all 4 wheels by Friday! Put it to bed for the winter and start on the body!

I'm really feeling good about how she's coming together... By the way, my daughter named the car "Mia". I think she's more of a Hazel, but Mia will work...

Till next Time!!
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevercme,

Thanks for the kind words about inspiration... I have gotten much of that from this site so I thought I would pay it back with my experiences.

I kind of forgot how to fight fires in the cold... I have been in the Bureau for the past two years... Right now my greatest hazards are from papercuts! I should be back on line in about 3 more years after my rotation is over...

Take care,
JinxedSydney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLOFIRE wrote:
Greetings from SNOWY northern Colorado!

I'm really feeling good about how she's coming together... By the way, my daughter named the car "Mia". I think she's more of a Hazel, but Mia will work...

Hey, any time you can get another girl to convert to a VW, even if they are little, roll with it! My youngest has her own set of tools and sandpaper to help me when I'm working.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Chassis Done for the Winter Reply with quote

Howdy,

I had a very productive couple of days last week. The chassis is all but done. I still need to install the dust boots on the swing axle. The problem I am having is getting the axle tubes to "level" out so I can intall the boots appropriately. Anyone have an idea about this? I will order the brake lines this winter since the lines that came with the kit were too long.... The body which is my greatest challenge is next! Needless to say, my wife was VERY pleased when she could park in the garage last Friday evening. I am stoked that this hurdle has been crossed. If we stick with it, we can do it!!!!

Here is a close-up of the new brakes. Cleaned up the parts, replaced seals, soooo much better!

The chassis ready for the trailer...

Close up up the pedal cluster. I know it should be black, but I like the "aluminum" look to well.

The chassis from the rear. I still have to install the swing axle boots and a couple of brake lines. The lines from the "kit" were too long as well...

Ready to load up

Put to bed for the winter. I am keeping the trailer next to the house, so I can access my panels as I need them... Hopefully the HOA doesn't get cranky about it Smile

Thanks everyone for your input so far! I look forward to learning a whole bunch more as I take on the next steps in this process.

ENJOY!
Bart Dunn
Samba Consiglieri

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chassis Done for the Winter Reply with quote

COLOFIRE wrote:
Hopefully the HOA doesn't get cranky about it Smile

Good grief, tell me about it. The HOA is sending me a letter every other month about my cars...all of which have current tags, but they apparently feel it's "unsightly." What a bunch of a-holes without lives of their own.

Car project seems to be coming along very nicely...well done.
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bart!

I am happy about how things are looking... Do you have any ideas about how to level out the swing axles to install the boots. They just don't seem to want to go together very well at the angle they are presently at. I'm not going to install them until spring but I am curious what others have done.
Livin'LaVdubLoca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLOFIRE.... How's it going with this resto?

I just stumbled onto your thread doing a little research before digging into a project of my own.

Very Happy
562vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: insperation Reply with quote

i picked up an all original 67 vert with 98% of the original parts still on the vert... i just got her a week ago, it seems like i had her for months all my free time is going towards wrenching on it. im really motivate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
COLOFIRE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, Is it spring already???? Sad to say, not much progress over the winter. I am ready to jump on it again - so be looking for those updates! Anyone have any ideas on the swing axle boots that I asked about above? Maybe I need to wait until its all back togeter with the engine in it to weigh it down. That just seems like it will be a pain in the @$$ to wrestle them in from below...

Take care!
The Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLOFIRE wrote:
Dang, Is it spring already???? Sad to say, not much progress over the winter. I am ready to jump on it again - so be looking for those updates! Anyone have any ideas on the swing axle boots that I asked about above? Maybe I need to wait until its all back togeter with the engine in it to weigh it down. That just seems like it will be a pain in the @$$ to wrestle them in from below...

Take care!

I asked about this in the Type 3 forum. Look for the response from Russ Wolfe 3 posts after mine.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4526699&highlight=#4526699

This could be a start in the right direction.
562vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: motivation Reply with quote

thanks for the motivation..im doing the work myself on my 67 vert also
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: