Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Highest Horsepower Air cooled VW engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Cloyd
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1432 wrote:
"miniman82" hey, where's Terry? Confused
Laughing

omg Very Happy Laughing
"dog_jr911" just HAD to stir that pot, huh?[/quote]

forgive me, I'm just bored[/quote]

Shame on you
robert olmsted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search fisher buggy funny car. 1000 HP 4.6 at 147 in the eighth mile pretty darn tootin.
Jacques Martinos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: How to know the horse power of my engine ? Reply with quote

Wondering if there's any way to know the horse power of an engine, this the engine's number : 245543 some friends are telling me 1.5 and some 1.9 ?
Dwayne_71SB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Just... wow.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW based is still kinda vague. For a magnesium or aluminum O.E. style case I can think of a few:

N/A Shawn Geers' DRKC engine, which was basically just a pro stock engine with tin made 330, like previously posted. I believe the engine was 84x96.7.

Jesse Hardin made around 280 HP with the same sedan and a 2276 and ran just as fast. He's a great driver, so maybe that's why the E.T.s were the same.

Jeff Denham's street/drag car (if he still owns it) was in the 280-300 HP range. It was called a 3-liter, but i'm not actually sure of the stroke. If it was a 90, then that's 2912ccs I believe. That car could actually be driven around. Geers' car, even though featured as a street car, could not drive any decent distance. At Nick's burgers the trailer was nearby.

Does anyone remember that Geoff Hart 10 second street/drag car from HVWs many years back? That one was also featured as a 10 second streetable car. Turns out he had a hot 2276 for the street that ran 11s and a full tilt Autocraft engine that got the same car into the tens. That's why the rear was so gutted out. It was to fit the wider Autocraft. I'm a HVWs reader, but they bend the truth a little now and again.

Back to highest N/A, the big dogs in Pro Stock are probably in the 370-400 HP range by now. They keep tweaking their 300 HP motors till they find another 100 in it.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to know the horse power of my engine ? Reply with quote

Jacques Martinos wrote:
Wondering if there's any way to know the horse power of an engine, this the engine's number : 245543 some friends are telling me 1.5 and some 1.9 ?

We can't know horsepower by an engine number. The engine numbers are usually stamped from the factory when they're stock engines. When someone builds it up to a bigger engine, like a 1.9, the stamped numbers stay on the block.

The only way to know how big it is, is to tear it down. To make an estimate of power, the internal parts need to be listed (cam, compression, induction, exhaust, valve size, ccs)
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
VW based is still kinda vague. For a magnesium or aluminum O.E. style case I can think of a few:

N/A Shawn Geers' DRKC engine, which was basically just a pro stock engine with tin made 330, like previously posted. I believe the engine was 84x96.7.

Jesse Hardin made around 280 HP with the same sedan and a 2276 and ran just as fast. He's a great driver, so maybe that's why the E.T.s were the same.

Jeff Denham's street/drag car (if he still owns it) was in the 280-300 HP range. It was called a 3-liter, but i'm not actually sure of the stroke. If it was a 90, then that's 2912ccs I believe. That car could actually be driven around. Geers' car, even though featured as a street car, could not drive any decent distance. At Nick's burgers the trailer was nearby.

Does anyone remember that Geoff Hart 10 second street/drag car from HVWs many years back? That one was also featured as a 10 second streetable car. Turns out he had a hot 2276 for the street that ran 11s and a full tilt Autocraft engine that got the same car into the tens. That's why the rear was so gutted out. It was to fit the wider Autocraft. I'm a HVWs reader, but they bend the truth a little now and again.

Back to highest N/A, the big dogs in Pro Stock are probably in the 370-400 HP range by now. They keep tweaking their 300 HP motors till they find another 100 in it.

I would wager they print whatever information the car owner volunteers to them. It's no secret that hot rodder guys keep lots of secrets. lol. Especially where racing is concerned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

I have a street bug that runs 10's. It runs 10's in the exact same trim as it drives on the streets. On 91 octane even.

Getting into the 9's will be the real challenge though.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eaallred"]
bugguy1967 wrote:

I have a street bug that runs 10's. It runs 10's in the exact same trim as it drives on the streets. On 91 octane even.

Getting into the 9's will be the real challenge though.

All motor?? When are you gonna get a feature??
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
All motor??

No

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
All motor?

Eric's sigline wrote:
1963 EFI, turbo, intercooled, overcomplicated Street Bug

Funny, I look nothing like this guy... Laughing

Link

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sorry. Didn't notice. I was quoted mentioning Geoff Hart's engine. It was a N/A car. Eric responded by saying his was a 10 sec street/strip car. That's an apples/oranges response.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: