Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leak from heads?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derektharp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: oil leak from heads? Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I have an oil leak from the mating surface of the heads on my 1776. Being new to VW I though I'd check here for some advice before I dive into this. So with that does anyone have recomendations. Should I try and use a fuel resistance silcone or what. Any ideas would be great thx
Outlaw70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your push rod tubes. if your getting oil on top of your pistons id worry about your rings
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piston rings or bad valve guides, if from the cylinder to mating surface, or of from push rods, then most likely seals

My engine build
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what your saying "derektharp60" Just look at the photo of my 1641 heads below. It looks like they were leaking oil from where they seal, but that can't happen because there is very little oil in the combustion chamber. These had a bad push rod tube. They also can leak around the head bolts (The Bottom ones inside the valve cover area) But not much. It could even just be a valve cover gasket! Oil has a way of going everywhere.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

derektharp60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone especially you DawnVW that makes perfect sense I'm replacing all 8 push rod tubes and while I'm at it ill use some fuel/oil resistance silcone gasket to reinforce the push rode cover. Hopefully she is swuared away after that thx guys
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had used the high temp silicone gasket seal on them it should hold but now I'm just using High temp grease. No leaks yet at 3000 miles. (different engine though) (My 1800cc type 1) (Similar to Stock style push-rod tubes) (Actually they're the CB-Performance Racing Push Rod tubes that only have the bellows on the case end as the head end is opened up wide for running ratio rockers.)(Painted with primer to keep them from rusting)
Danwvw's Photo
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: