Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What a drag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
... And randywebb, I'd love to hear your ideas about it, complicated though it be.

Mr. Bombay, You must have missed the above before you launched your tirade.

I'd also ask that you avoid trying to put words in my mouth - I never said you did not know what you are talking about. I'll defer a decision on that until after I look at your list of publications in the scientific literature.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey this is supposed to be fun.

no need to get all super serious about it. I say why not make the shape that you like, stick it on the luggage rack, attach wool tufts in a grid pattern, then drive the van and have a friend drive alongside and video.

look for the tufts to be mostly lying flat and (and most likely fluttering), not sticking up or curved forward and fluttering.

"fill in" the curves that show deviation from the smooth flow and try again.

simplistic yes, but its not stupid.

I don't want to fuel an argument here, just want say have fun and experiment.

Talented amateurs are capable of great design, take old Georgi Georgiev as an example: http://www.varnahandcycles.com/hpv.htm

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, if you would look at the question in the context of reality (risk vs reward) your input might actually be of some benefit here, but as you're only interested in proving your intellectual superiority your input has provided no benefit.

Ragnarhairybreeks, my thoughts exactly Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

Interesting that you bring that link up, Alistair.
I learned how to do design, fiberglass mold making and triangulated frame construction as a young man in the early 80's (one of 3) on the Cyclodynamics HPV effort. Alan Carpenter was my design mentor. He learned his craft on the BRM formula 1 team in England back in the day., and passed on what he could. Small world.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Flashback! Reply with quote

Flashback!

Shocked

I can remember seeing those things on the street. They moved very, very slowly.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

Interesting that you bring that link up, Alistair.
I learned how to do design, fiberglass mold making and triangulated frame construction as a young man in the early 80's (one of 3) on the Cyclodynamics HPV effort. Alan Carpenter was my design mentor. He learned his craft on the BRM formula 1 team in England back in the day., and passed on what he could. Small world.

After building those HPVs your proposed luggage carrier cap will be pretty easy!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagonner wrote:
Alan Carpenter was my design mentor. He learned his craft on the BRM formula 1 team in England back in the day., and passed on what he could. Small world.

Just think of the bragging rights you'd have around here if you had a BRM H-16 in the back of the old van Smile

(bad me, I shouldn't have posted that, shouldn't be digressing)

I have to clarify, I think, what I said about tufts... just short (2"?) lengths of yarn, and think of them just like the tell-tales on the luff of your jib.

The big problem with this kind of project is measuring results. The tufts are an easy, if not quantifiable, way.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
The big problem with this kind of project is measuring results. The tufts are an easy, if not quantifiable, way.

i think this distills the simple point that a couple of us have been trying to say all along. there's CERTAINLY no harm in trying! but, i'd say it's also certain that we'll never know - measuring mpg by fill-ups and an odometer will never be accurate enough, and whether or not tufts flap a given way is unfortunately not scientific enough to know what the end result on Cd or mpg will be.

it's a criticism of the science of the task, not the person nor their effort, that's all. i've always said that it's definitely worth having a go at. why not? but if the goal is to reduce the Cd akin to that of a completely different top, by changing one transition based on one photo, it's just simply not realistic...!

carry on!

Vanagonner wrote:
The way I am looking at it, The Dehr-Profi has a cd of 0.40, and the stock 7 passenger has a cd of 0.44. The height (frontal surface area) of the Profi has what, an extra 12" in height?

The extra height of mine measures three and a half inches. There appears to be more benefit in rounding than is subtracted by adding height.

Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I am thinking back through some early aerodynamic schooling I had. There are multiple questions on the table here, but perhaps the most important is a status quo metric. It is difficult to set up a tunnel, and only provides a visual unless you have some other cool measuring going on.

Since you are really just talking about changing air flow over the top, and perhaps the bottom, then measuring air flow behind the van would seem to be all you need. This is interesting, because the dynamics change with speed, but, alas, this is still difficult to measure, even in this manner. Maybe someone with an EV can help us out here, measuring the force to move forward with a certain set up, and again with some modifications?

I just saw a big diesel with a rear drag smoother like the one mentioned here earlier. It is called a trailer tail. You can view a summary of some other drag reducing technologies being tested on those big rigs here:
http://news.cnet.com/geek-gestalt/?categoryId=2047

To simply remove the technology hurdle, you could use tape and ribbon, and film the vehicle at different speeds. In short, anything you can do to reduce and shorten the chaotic air behind the vehicle is a win, but like a few have mentioned, that crappy drag on that vehicle is not really important until you really get moving, but at what speed? My guess would be, somewhere around 50+? Along with some long plastic tape, you could measure sound as well. Other than road noise which would not change, the engine should run softer, air should have less impact (better flow). FOr someone that has insulated against pavement/wheel well noise, this device could compliment the tape testing. I have seen some cool measuring devices around that are not expensive. I am planning to buy one to test my sound insulation efforts this summer.

I think I like the goofy looking rear trailer tail thing more then messing with the front. I think I would work from the tail forward, as that seems to be the biggest bang for the buck. Smoothing out the back can solve a lot of issues in the front, whereas smoothing out the front may not have as much effect on the tail drag, perhaps simply changing it rather than smoothing it out.

Simple stuff for most of you...I was just kind of thinking out loud, wondering if I could make this a little more simple to play out. My 16 MPG is making my conservation rants outrageously hypocritical...

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that a mock-up with ribbons flying is in my future, before I make the effort of building a mold. This is going to take some time, I have a life to attend to also Wink .
Just a note here on my approach. I am not trying to prove anything to anyone. I will not generate perfectly accurate data regarding what this does or doesn't do. The value of it seems like a no-brainer from what is known and what has been tried. Since I don't have mathematical or computer modeling skills, I won't even pretend to work that way. All I have is (nearly) 50 years of paying attention to my environment, and I'll go with that.

ragnarhairybreeks, wouldn't that H 16 be great! until it came time to adjust the valves...

Classicvibe, You are right about the back being possibly more important (and I'll work on that at some point), but the CD numbers that come up on the above listed comparison (and all the wind noise we get from the cap) point to it being a horror show of turbulence, so I'm starting there.
I'm also trying to keep in mind crosswinds, and trying designs to reduce the pulling force of crosswinds by having a couple of sharp lateral edges to help the air come off of the side without pulling too much.
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:

Nice diversion! The BRM was only 1.5 litre capacity too... Shocked

Amazing that the Dehler top contributes to a 10% reduction in drag (if that's how you read Cd figures?)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To measure results, you could compare the throttle position needed to maintain a set, GPS-verified roadspeed on a consistent course, always run in both directions to cancel out wind direction, attending closely to all other variables (weight, tire pressure, etc.). Install a 0-5V TPS and record exact voltage. Throttle position to maintain a set speed will vary with the real attrition loads. Drivetrain and rolling resistance will remain pretty consistent at consistent temperatures, that leaves air resistance, which dwarfs all other loads at cruising speeds so it should register as a change in needed throttle opening.

It would at least be a lot better than trying to do controlled measurements of mpg. To do that at all accurately would require weighing the fuel used, not measuring its volume.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. I've admired Bob Parsons' work for a few years now but never actually got off my ass and did anything about it until last Thursday.

It was nice out and I was tired of working on violins and banjos so I went outside and cut a piece of 1/2" plywood to fit the top of the luggage rack, put a couple of pool noodles under it and a couple of bungees over to hold it down.

The wind noise reduction on the highway drive to work in Vancouver on the following day was amazing! 75 mph sounded like 65 mph had only the day before! We'll see what happens gas mileage wise but its worth the trouble for the quietness alone.

I've already installed peel & stick in the front doors and the slider and put damping material in the air intake pillars at the back along with smearing the underside with roofing tar. My Continental tires are pretty quiet and the Subaru engine is very quiet too, so the wind noise really stands out.

I'm going to have to track some some white polystyrene to make a proper lid! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
bombay:

It is a lot easier to work out ideas on paper, or via modeling - mathematical or otherwise, than to start carving away at or building onto a car.

No it isn't! It took me less than an hour to make a luggage rack lid for my Westy and its really lessened wind noise on the highway. I'm pretty sure wind noise comes from disruptions in the flow therefore...I'm expecting to see a gain in mpg next time I fill up.

I'll let you know how it does! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody should custom-make a short luggage bag to just fill that space -- it's seems like a good way to cut down on the noise
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:
somebody should custom-make a short luggage bag to just fill that space -- it's seems like a good way to cut down on the noise

I just read on another thread where someone took the time to re-vamp their luggage area while spraying the top (recent thread). It reminded me that when I spray this visco elastic sound deadening product, I plan to remove the luggage part as well, bring it back to life, and spray the back-side with the product. I think this will have a heavy hand in controlling resonance.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for reviving a year-old thread almost to the day, but it looks like it's still worthy of some attention...
My interest in the subject comes from my dormant "tin-pop" concept, that centres on a salvaged roof skin panel that's hanging from the garage rafters. I was/am going to make a full-length, fully elevating roof with slide-out sides (think original Viking Spacemaker meets roof tent) to sleep 3 upstairs. For when the kids get taller but won't leave home...
When I get the decks clear I'll get back to it!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
randywebb wrote:

I just read on another thread where someone took the time to re-vamp their luggage area while spraying the top (recent thread). It reminded me that when I spray this visco elastic sound deadening product, I plan to remove the luggage part as well, bring it back to life, and spray the back-side with the product. I think this will have a heavy hand in controlling resonance.

stick a microphone under there (tape it down on some foam) and see what you get while on the hwy
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone mentioned adding a Dehler top reduces Vanagon drag by 10% "if that's how you read CD" (which is an auto industry term Coefficient of Drag). Coefficient of Drag is a ratio of the vehicle's frontal area, to its total drag if I recall correctly. So you can put a taller top on and reduce the CD. But you have much higher total fuel-sucking drag despite a CD "improvement". So don't use that as a measure of aerodynamic improvement that will reduce drag. I cannot accept that putting a heavy object atop a vehicle that makes the vehicle taller can cause the vehicle to move through the air more easily. No way. It is total drag, plus or minus any mass you've changed that will determine which way you move the fuel consumption needle when making body changes.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
silverbulletuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbx wrote:
The drag coefficient (Cd) and frontal area (A) for the:

regular Vanagon are 0.45 and 3.06 m2;
later Vanagon with front spoiler lip,the values are: 0.44 and 3.08 m2;
Westfalia, the numbers are 0.52 and 3.17 m2;
later Westfalia with spoiler drops the drag coefficient to 0.51.

The European hightop camper (Dehler profile) takes the drag coefficient to 0.40 with a frontal area of 3.61 m2

The drag equation is:

Drag = 1/2 A * Cd * rho *v^2 (rho= density of air)

Hopefully that'll help answer the question...

Someone tell me if I've got this right?
Based on this ^^^ from page 1, Cd is a multiplier in the equation; so as that figure is reduced, so the overall drag (air resistance) trends towards zero.
Cd = 0 is impossible as that would imply either infinite frontal area or infinite velocity to be possible...or progress through an infinitely dense medium!
For a given amount of drag (read as specific fuel consumption at constant load and speed) a more efficient shape will allow a greater frontal area.
As I write this, I'm not sure if it proves that the Dehler is a more aerodynamic shape or not!
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm happy to be educated further!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: